Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What I am doing wrong?

saifas80

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys it has been a while since I joined here. At first I was very happy, but now I am a little concerned.

This is how it all happened. At first I tried to buy some random domain names, there was some luck, I received some profit, however I sold it somewhere else. About 1 week ago I tried to find some LLLL.com domains without "bad" letters and I succeeded. Now I have domains like : AMKK.com , BGED.com.... . I have added it here, to SEDO, GD. However there was no offers (except 1). At first, when I was trying to pick up these names I thought you would receive some offers, I am just talking about offers, but now I am little nervous, because my topic is like empty house. I think I missed something.

Guys, I need an advice. What I am doing wrong? Should I wait longer? Are these domain worth something or not???

Thank you.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are buying "random" domains. So the sales are random too ;)
In the case of LLLL.com, if they are not real words or brandable domains, somebody has to come up with an acronym that would justify buying the matching domain.
Right ? :)

Perhaps you need to do more research to find out if there are potential end users right now (vs in the possible future).
I'm not saying your names are bad or anything, or that LLLL.com should be avoided at all costs. But I'm curious, what made you think they should sell easily ?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried to find some LLLL.com domains without "bad" letters and I succeeded.

Hi

how do you know what letters are good or bad

and...

if you got good letters, then how come no offers?

imo....

saifas80

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, you may be right :( Well, I am a little bit to late joining this ship of domaining. At first I tried to sell "speciality" domains, for example newyorkelectrician.com to electrician in New York. However I failed, time and money was wasted, I was angry at myself. Then I tried to find some domains with good indicators, however I didn't any, this time only time was wasted. Now I jumped on LLLL.com domains, there was some "little" luck, with weird domains. So I thought to myself : If I will find pronouncable LLLL.com domains maybe then I will receive some offers. It seems that I was wrong.... :(

Hi

how do you know what letters are good or bad

and...

if you got good letters, then how come no offers?

imo....

I am considering myself a newbie, but the bad letters are Z,W,Q,X, I have read this in domaining ebook. Maybe I am making up some things. These domains are not TOP, not even good, they are just normal, so I was expecting to get normal offers.

Last edited:

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you think domaining is? Where did you find those domains, and how much did you pay?

You don't have to answer those questions here, of course. But it is worth pondering whether you really have the temperament to be a speculator. To be one requires investment capital, good intuition, work ethic and lots of patience.

It is rare to just go out and buy domains that you can flip quickly for a nice profit. The people who are good at it have the above qualities, plus many of them work hard to find suitable endusers for their domains, then apply some salesmanship. The alternative is to spend more (a lot more) and buy the kinds of domains that people will approach you for. That is a much more expensive game.

Have you done any work to decrypt all of the possible organizations that could use your acronym domains? Have you approached any of them, and made a case for why they would benefit from those domains?

It is unrealistic to expect those people to be searching for you with money in their hands.

And those letters are only bad if nobody can use them. Think about it.

Before you invest in any more domains, it would be wise to spend some time seriously thinking about strategy.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This industry, like any other industry takes time, money, patience, and understanding. Buying a service product domain, and connecting with an end user in the construction industry can be very difficult to prove to them why they need a domain name, making this connection takes many a years experience, and sometimes even setting up some nice landing pages.

If you want to buy a name today, and make money tomorrow by flipping, you are about 5 years to late.

I did see you purchase the following 4L.com domains here at DNF, you were quick to buy up any thread, on first postings, without properly doing the homework of the end users on those letters, or if the previous owner had exhausted all sales leads, and were selling the domain based on lack of interest from the potential pool of leads they had.

saifas80

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both of you, thank you for your answers, these posts contained the information I was looking for. Thank you for your spent time.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the bad letters are Z,W,Q,X, I have read this in domaining ebook.

ebooks, are published for the ignorant and full of generalizations.

sure, you probably couldn't sell zwqx.com, but there would be plenty of buyers for > zzzz.com, wwww.com, qqqq.com, and xxxx.com

so, from a different perspective, how do those letters look now?

:)

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, this is one thing I learned about domaining in the last couple of years.

This is basically what you are doing, you are trying to "hang out with the cool kids" and you are just a Freshman. Everyone comes into domaining like, I am going to buy all the LLL, LLLL, NNN, NNNN, CCC, etc. but that is not what domaining is about. The only guys profiting off those names are the one's who catch a lucky sale here or there, or who got those domains for pennies compared to what they are worth now.

Most of these are "domainer names." Let's be honest here. How many NNN, CCC, random LLLL's etc. are going to sell to businesses? Maybe a hand full.

So what do you have left from there? Only domainers to sell too which makes these "domainer names." Oh boy, if you think you are going to sell anything to domainers and make a profit you have another thing coming.

So what I am saying here, is find a niche and find a way to approach businesses and sell to them. Maybe GEO's, Brandables, etc. but try to stay away from the "domainer names" unless you get them at a good price or you have FAT pockets.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this thread, which interests me, I picked up J8888.asia yesterday on eBay, for 99c (that's about 60p in sterling). OK, I haven't the faintest idea what I might do with it, but for $1, what's to lose? Do others buy this kind of thing on impulse then keep them in the back pocket on the off chance?

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this thread, which interests me, I picked up J8888.asia yesterday on eBay, for 99c (that's about 60p in sterling). OK, I haven't the faintest idea what I might do with it, but for $1, what's to lose? Do others buy this kind of thing on impulse then keep them in the back pocket on the off chance?

As you said, there's nothing to lose but $1. There's nothing (monetary) to gain, either.

If you are a newbie, you get familiar with buying/selling, transfers, Ebay fees and what might go wrong or incur a delay.

It's not easy to find a use for this domain, the only thing that's special about it is the repeating pattern of 8. Would someone like to use this name for a business or a personal blog ? I don't think so.

At some time the registrar will ask you to pay $10 to renew it and probably you won't like to renew, in the meantime the lack of any interest in this domain will get you to the right direction as to what can sell and what can't.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Sometimes, it is really worth pausing for a moment and wondering why a domain is selling on eBay for 99 cents...

It may feel like $1 now, but at some point the value of your time spent managing assets with no apparent value plus the monetary investment of renewing them will make them feel very expensive indeed.

Its all good though. As asfas said, this is how you learn.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its all good though. As asfas said, this is how you learn.

Yes, that's exactly how I see it. Learning in this game is obviously a matter of trial and error. If you can keep the cost of errors down to a minimum, that has to be a positive.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A wise man learns from this mistakes.
A genius learns from the mistakes of others.

Education is free.
:cool:

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Education is free.

My education was certainly not free, but in the long run I made for it.

I would recommend saving your pennies for the right domain. Hold off on the hand reg's and purchase something from the aftermarket. Although, some people actually make money off hand reg's. I am not one of them.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If you bought on eBay for 99c than re-auction and try to get $2 or post it here on the forums for $2.

When, I first started domaining, I was hand regging names at Register.com for 0.50c. Garbage names, TM's, etc... Then a light bulb went off, like man, I only paid 0.50c/name, so as long as I sell for $1, I'm cool... OK, so I had like 100 names or so, my total investment was like $50... So, I listed on eBay, "100 names for just $100." They sold in 5 minutes...

I say that, to say this. Man, the most important thing about domaining is find what works for you. There are 5 different domainers: Which one do you want to be?

1. The Quick Flipper - Buy's names at reasonable prices to try to make a quick profit.... He see's the most ROI, if done right

2. The Big Baller(Fat Pockets) - Only buy's premium names, one worder's, 2-3-4 character names... He makes or loses the most money...

3. The investor - Buy's names as a long-term investment, won't sale unless the right price come's alone... He hopes he makes money long-term, but understands risk...

4. The Dreamer - Hand reg's names and asking price's are 7 figures... He never sales nothing...

5. The Crybaby - Buy's 100's of domains and never sold one - He complain's about how you cannot make money selling domain names, has never sold one, but continues to buy and never sale....

dcmstreams

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you bought on eBay for 99c than re-auction and try to get $2 or post it here on the forums for $2.

When, I first started domaining, I was hand regging names at Register.com for 0.50c. Garbage names, TM's, etc... Then a light bulb went off, like man, I only paid 0.50c/name, so as long as I sell for $1, I'm cool... OK, so I had like 100 names or so, my total investment was like $50... So, I listed on eBay, "100 names for just $100." They sold in 5 minutes...

I say that, to say this. Man, the most important thing about domaining is find what works for you. There are 5 different domainers: Which one do you want to be?

1. The Quick Flipper - Buy's names at reasonable prices to try to make a quick profit.... He see's the most ROI, if done right

2. The Big Baller(Fat Pockets) - Only buy's premium names, one worder's, 2-3-4 character names... He makes or loses the most money...

3. The investor - Buy's names as a long-term investment, won't sale unless the right price come's alone... He hopes he makes money long-term, but understands risk...

4. The Dreamer - Hand reg's names and asking price's are 7 figures... He never sales nothing...

5. The Crybaby - Buy's 100's of domains and never sold one - He complain's about how you cannot make money selling domain names, has never sold one, but continues to buy and never sale....
Straight to the point. I needed this.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom