Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What to do about Java Script Error On Page!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly as I predicted, when clicking on "Simply Launch the Java Client" nothing happens and the small java scipt icon with yellow exclamation mark appears in lower left corner and status bar say's ERROR ON PAGE.

I talked about that likely happening a number of times. Please note I tried to download repeatedly Gregr's suggested Sun java add-on but it seems to have not installed. I also went to the Sun website and downloaded several other java add on's which did install OK but still to no avail.

Yes my XP and IE6 setup has java enabled everywhere I looked. Sorry it did not work :eek:

I even called Dell Computer tech support. They told me to reinstall XP which I did (did not help), they also said the Microsoft Knowledge Base say's this is a common java error and one they are researching but no fix yet.

I respectfully suggest to Gregr he buys another auction software program such as ones for sale which use ColdFusion, not Java.

Upvote 0

sornman

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Umm, javascript != java.. they are totally different things. I am not sure why you are having problems. The only javascript there is to launch the resized client window.

As for your problems, the javascript used is fine in pretty much every browser since back in the 3.x days. Maybe you have something disabling pop-ups or something that is causing the error?

As for other systems, you can't use them, as you can't send messages to and from the server real-time. Cold Fusion, PHP, ASP, etc will not work. You would need a C based program or something along those lines, and that would give you problems across different platforms. Hence, Java was the only viable answer.

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real Names,
I don't know if this will help you or not but if u have any firewall protection when downloading the java, turn it off.
Hope this may be of some help to someone.

:D

sornman

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, just to make the note, you no longer need Sun's JRE (Java Runtime Environment). The auction client has been testing quite extensively with the java support included with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. There were several people having issues with Sun's JRE, and have since uninstalled it and are running problem free now.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think the items you talk about with my setup are problems but I will check again as I have done many times earlier.

P.S. I once had a ColdFusion auction site online for 2 plus yrs and it worked amazingly well, with no probelms or down time at all, it was in real time but NOT with multiple bidders online at the same time so that must be the explanation for Gregr using Java. As you pointed out, I must be wrong on ColdFusion being better since it can't be used for this, right?

sornman

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, the problem is that cold fusion cant keep socket connections open, you load the page and are done with it.. it exports html to the browser, which has no way to keep the times syncronized. It is exactly the same as PHP and ASP in that regard. They simply export information through the web server for the browser to read.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainProfiles Real Names,
I don't know if this will help you or not but if u have any firewall protection when downloading the java, turn it off. Hope this may be of some help to someeone. :D

I appreciate the advise. But yes I already disabled my Firewall several times but it did not help. I will try doing so again and also contact the firewall security firm Monday to see if they have any ideas. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom