Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed WhatNamesMean.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to develop this into a kind of search engine for first names. Ie: You type in a name like 'Chris' and it would give you the meaning of the name and also perhaps a few ad-sponsored links.

I had a number of inquiries on it. (Mainly for people asking me to tell them what their name meant - you can guess what I did!).

It has good potential, but am having trouble getting the MySQL database setup. Arrrggghh.. :eek:

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very cool. MeaningofName.com was recently renewed (urg, the eternal defier of a good Snap), that would be one of the best versions of that domain I think (according to Overture's rankings, NameMeaning.com being THE best). I had NameMeaning.net, MeaningofName.net, Meaning-of-Name.com, MeaningofName.info, and NameMeaning.info registered instead (only because I'm a domain registering pyscho-path... read nothing into this). :laugh:

www.behindthename.com is a GREAT site, and one could only HOPE to aspire to its heights (especially having been around so long). I especially like that people posting in the messageboards can instantly link names they mention into the BTN search engine and have their meanings pulled up instantly.

One potential pitfall however is that it seems a slippery slope that people can easily MAKE-UP names and MAKE-UP their meanings as well. Who's to say? Names are a much slipperier beast than "words" it seems, whose inclusion in the popular lexicon as noted by our favorite dictionaries, are a hotly debated subject.

Where does one draw the line with names? Who's meaning is cannon, and whose meaning lies on the cutting room floor? From where does one draw and calculate the most accurate compendium for this topic?

At any rate, the subject is clearly a winner, and with enough research, dedication, effort and support, your website would be too!

I believe your domain is memorable, clear, and self-explanatory. Very nice.

Appraisal: $500

Develop it, and I'm sure it can be worth much more.

Best regards,
W|Z

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone else? Opinions? Appraisals?
Don't make me a loner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators