Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Whats steps can WE take to help prevent the "Snowe Bill" from being passed? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we all pretty much know the possible ramifications of this newly proposed scare tactic kiss your domain industry goodbye bill that has been introduced by Senator Olympia Snowe..now the question is, what can we all do to help prevent it other than just reading about it? Let us make this thread a think tank and contact resource for those wanting to not sit idle by the wayside and watch this unfold with their legs crossed.

Feel free to add your useful input...

Some useful links to get us started:

The bill in it's original proposed form:

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/_files/SnoweStevensAntiPhishing.pdf

Link to the Internet Commerce Assoc. website with a summary of it's ill effects on our business.

http://www.internetcommerce.org/Snowe_Bill_Threatens_Domain_Name_Registrants

Domain Name Wire article with alot of useful information and resource links about this matter:

http://domainnamewire.com/2008/03/0...g-bill-or-reverse-cybersquatting-in-disguise/

If you don't get involved and do something NOW this business and it's future is going to literally be controlled by big business and taken out of our hands completely for the most part so it might be time to start looking for a day job because the prospects of having an open free domain market if this get's enacted are slim to none.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
good move Focus, i definitely think domainer should stand against this Bill

cant bear the idea someone can just take my domains coz they have trademark on the name, especially if my domain was registered before their trademark

they should consider that domainer registering domains with future development potential and should have all rights to the name

i picked up WIPOed.com last night - with the same thoughts ~ of CO-developing informational portal for affected domainers or just can donate 2 yrs rent for the cause

i also think of moving my domains to european registrar in case - is this bill valid for us only?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We should promote this domain name below using email, adsense, ypn, redirecting domain traffic to it, using it in our signatures, etc so we can increase awareness about this very vital issue:

http://www.StopTheSnoweBill.com

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's going to be a "Snoweball" against our domains that nobody can stop if we don't lobby really really really hard against this one..this is the time to pull out your resources people..the guise of the Anti-Phishing act is nothing more than a smear campaign and who would vote against that? Phishing is ALREADY illegal and 99% of the people doing it are not in the USA to begin with so it's a moot point. The problem here is that this is 2 proposed bills in one packaged conveniently to favor big businesses and take away our domain rights and people will be voting against phishing and not even realizing this proposed bills impact on the world's free online economy and our overall business. People need to know this! I am thinking t-shirts and bumper stickers, maybe even a commercial on tv or news/talk show coverage with good industry representation..I'm completely serious, this is a BIG deal.

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
has anyone called their elected officials to discuss this? how much weight does this bill acutally have?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, and what timeframe would be involved here in this actually happening also?

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Talked to Adam about it...

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Call your local representatives and State senators where you live.

Screaming would not help. Every bill is passed by the votes. Go right to the Source.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a list of email addresses and phone numbers?

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe she will flip flop on this like she did with iraq.

constituents need to make noise for something to be done.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As a Greek expatriate, I have little relation to the Greek 2nd/3rd generation lobby in the US. Tony might be able to pull some strings.

Folks, it's imperative that all points be made in an appropriate and civil manner. Crying "murder!" won't cut it. It's an election year and a lot of laws can slip through.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"..making her among the most influential of U.S. Senators."

great

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators