Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What's the best city portal software to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking at building out a few city portals and want a community feel.

I have found two decent scripts but am wondering if anyone has found anything easier or better.

Here's what I have found that's good so far...

http://www.marketgrabber.com/ -- seems to be best option so far.

http://www.edirectory.com/

Keep in mind I am looking for out of the box, no joomla time here for these.

-=DCG=-

Domain Summit 2024

redomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I've been researching the same thing. I really like eDirectory, but have had a heck of a time getting them to respond to my e-mails. I'm concerned that if their sale's department won't respond to a hot lead, how good is their customer service going to be after the sale?

It seems as there's a real need for this type of product. There's a company about 1 1/2 hours from where I live that's getting close to having a product ready for market. It could be several months before their product is available.

Good luck with your search, I'll be watching for ideas as well.

Bill

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does this city porlal software work for coutry names as well?

onlinetv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
marketgrabber looks good. The other one is very joomla and the price?
Will market grabber also give you SEO over each page meta tags? Looks like it only adds the topic to the original title for each page and keeps same keywords and description throughout? I do not like that. There is a huge header and the code is very unfriendly as it builds that menu on top. A lot of money for a script but I guess if you had to build an automated pay system like that it would cost more in paid programmer time, etc.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I've been researching the same thing. I really like eDirectory, but have had a heck of a time getting them to respond to my e-mails. I'm concerned that if their sale's department won't respond to a hot lead, how good is their customer service going to be after the sale?

thats very true. no point buying a product then getting namejet like support. ie. non-existent

i'm using a themed wordpress and phplinkdirectory for the directory and worksd pretty well imo. easy to update and manage & you can get plenty 'out there'

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does this city porlal software work for coutry names as well?

Yea, and most will do the headers and some customization to get it setup at start.

-=DCG=-

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really like how edirectory looks. I might consider that one for future development plans, thanks for the tip!

melmunch

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Templatemonster.com has some great looking city sites, just run a search for city.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Templatemonster.com has some great looking city sites, just run a search for city.

Yea, but the other scripts offer so much more like paid business ads, paid classified listings, rss news feeds, adsense integration and a whole lot more out of the box.

-=DCG=-

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking for Real Estate classified/directory and marketgrabber's looks OK (Thanks DCG)...a little pricey(1699.00)....anyone here using them (marketgrabber)

Last edited:

MikeinFlorida

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adam a good friend of mine uses marketgrabber and we've thought about integrating it into one of our sites. The pricing is reasonable and he says it's easy to get around with. They also respond to his inquiries fairly soon.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam a good friend of mine uses marketgrabber and we've thought about integrating it into one of our sites. The pricing is reasonable and he says it's easy to get around with. They also respond to his inquiries fairly soon.

ok, Thanks for the info.

-=DCG=-

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm using a themed wordpress and phplinkdirectory for the directory and worksd pretty well imo. easy to update and manage & you can get plenty 'out there'

I know Wordpress is free how much much is PHPLinkDirectory (I have PHPMyDirectory for one of my sites and it was $180)? I have a city.com and a few state.name domains that I think I should develop. What about eSyndiCat (it's free)? Any plugins to take payments for it yet?

Any lower cost options for this to get something started?

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know Wordpress is free how much much is PHPLinkDirectory (I have PHPMyDirectory for one of my sites and it was $180)? I have a city.com and a few state.name domains that I think I should develop. What about eSyndiCat (it's free)? Any plugins to take payments for it yet?

Any lower cost options for this to get something started?
Why $180?
Their site says...
$25 PER directory if you will be including a link back to this site in the footer of your directory
$75 PER directory if you will not be linking back

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

harleyx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They're both fantasticly busy. Marketgrabber is plain ugly. As a new visitor I would click off both of those immediately and not come back.

If you don't have time, take the up front flat fee of the cheaper of the two ($1500) and get someone to mod out and skin up Joomla/WordPress/Mambo to your hearts desire.

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea, but the other scripts offer so much more like paid business ads, paid classified listings, rss news feeds, adsense integration and a whole lot more out of the box.

-=DCG=-

Wordpress does all of this.....gotta love those plugins!...:)....add these to a unique custom template....and voila....you got your city portal site!

PS - i'm in process of designing a premium custom "city portal" wordpress template

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom