Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What's the next Domain rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's .com

Namebrander

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's .com

Me too !!!!!

Unless you can get exceptional dns cheap in other main extensions

.mobi has to be the greatest fall from grace of any extn ever

REMEMBER the good old days where 3 l mobi were going for a min of $200 + = well guess what 3 character domains states them as worth reg fee these days

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com and small ccTLDs.

No new GTLD will be the next domain rush in the next 20 years. Nearly every Fortune 500 business is on the web, the web is worth over a trillion dollars accumulating to our GDP in the United States alone, how can anyone even think there is going to be something that replaces .com is beyond me. It won't happen probably in next 20-100 years.

Secondly, all CCTLDS such as .tv that are used for "television" aren't worth anything either IMO.

Only CCTLDS that are worth something are of developed countries that actually use them: .de, .fr, .it, .cn.

.COM is and will be here for decades. I don't understand why it even would NEED to be replaced in the first place. It works perfectly. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with .com domains.

.MOBI is a failure. You can launch mobile sites from .COM which is more recognized. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Three different letters will not change anything. .COM Is recognized and will be impossible to replace. That's like replacing Google.com with the same exact search engine under a different domain. It makes absolutely 0 sense.

Sure there will be domain land rushes where you can make money for a few more years - until everyone realizes that every land rush is just a money grabber for those that are able to take advantage of the short-term situation.

It's been years where all these land rushes have failed long term. You'd think the domain industry would be smart enough to learn by now not to buy junk.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily talking about extensions or new tld's but generally speaking IMO, Live Apps going to be a big wave.

There are already 100,000 Live Apps with more than 65,000 Live App developers and programmers.

P.S. i.e. Apple now owns Appstore.com which whois info looks like it changed last month:

Whois http://www.directnic.com/whois/index.php?query=appstore.com

Live App Store http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q="live+app+store"&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Apps Store http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...esnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q="apps+store"&spell=1

App Store http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="app+store"&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1g-s9

Last edited:

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My vote is in for .biz and .us :)

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We can approach this Q from the other end:
Which stuff won't make it?

.biz
.us
.asia
.eu
.mobi
.kz - the land of Borat
idn

:smilewinkgrin:

Dotted

Connecting The Dot
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain hacks.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .us is a dark horse and will become used like other country codes eventually.

I like the angle of domains needed for Apps, the Apps market is huge and most will need a domain for a website, you'd think.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.COM isn't "washed up", it remains king, but there is a market for ccTLDs as long as the keywords are in the country's language. (It wouldn't make too much sense to sell English .it domains or Russian .de domains, unless the keyword is commonly used in that country.)

Exactly, and by implication that means in the Script in which those languages are written. IDN was never intended for the American Market, but American cannot expect to market successfully to the Far East, Eastern Europe, the Middle East or even India in English. It ain't never going to fly.

It all comes down to Marketing basics. Segment your Markets and then target the Segments. Since when did the "One Size Fits All" approach ever work? It is, however, important to identify the most lucrative segments and target them in a culturally sensitive manner. And culturally sensitive starts with using the appropriate language. Good Luck to anyone that thinks the key to the Chinese market is getting them all to speak English.

world2008users.png

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe horse racing is big in the emirates. But I doubt we will see another sale like that in .ae.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know but some people think english keywords are useless in non-english countries. Here we have an Indian based company in Dubai selling a .ae english domain, with seven serious bidders and hundreds of phone calls to the seller.

Also from the article: “People just grabbed hundreds and hundreds of domains like shopping.ae, store.ae, hospital.ae. They’ve already gone.”

The end of the article says: "under the new system, a user will be able to register a domain in either English or Arabic script." IDN have their place for sure, but if you look at facts, ascii domains sell well and are used in pretty much all countries. You want to market to locals only then fine get IDN domains, but you shut out tourists, foreign workers, etc. which may or may not matter depending on your business. ASCII keyboards are more universal. And if you go for IDN, do you choose IDN.com, IDN.cn, or IDN.IDN if you are for example in China?

Even look at the domain the article is on, www.thenational.ae

INTERSTREAMER

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The tipping point for any new landrush - regardless of what or where - is a successfully marketed website - Flip.it or Coupon.me - or ??? When businesses turn to alternative domains and they become household names - grab your shovels and pans - GOLD IS IN THEM THARN HILLS.

SSS

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe horse racing is big in the emirates. But I doubt we will see another sale like that in .ae.

Horse racing is big, but Camel racing is MASSIVE.

And of course there is the minor consideration about betting being illegal, online or otherwise.

I also don't actually recall this sale being reported at DNJournal. Domaining has a history of unscrutinized sales claims. I think even Ron has had the wool pulled over his eyes more than once.

What is known is that AE Government are pushing very hard for IDN and have been for a while. But then status symbols are massive in the Middle East, so perhaps they don't really intend to use them. But then again, if that were the case why worry about them going in the DNS? They could just register them and put them on the mantelpiece. Oops! Forgot you don't get mantelpieces in the Middle East. Oh, well so much for my cultural research :)

Last edited:

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the usual kind of scam. Buy up a load of relative low value domains in a certain class, then hype up one massive fake sale and then cash in on the rest for mid-scale prices.

I seem to remember a few articles on DNJ regarding a couple of Harvard Graduates being active in the UAE, but never gave much indication as to what they were up to. By the way, how is the dot CM buyout going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom