Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Where did the .mobi haters go!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even though some strange names have been registered,some probably useless (including by myself) theirs no getting away from the fact that even those strange domains will still be part of a .Mobi community that is starting to establish its self.

It's comments like these that keep me throwing punches. "No Getting away from it?" Good Grief. It doesn't even exist.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're obviously not a gamer.Games & Gaming are proving to be massive for mobile devices.

I mean SERIOUSLY where do you come up with these assumptions.. I'm not a gamer nor have any contact with gaming on mobile?

Which is probably why in 1999 based on WAP my old company (GREY Advertising maybe you've heard of them) launched 20+ games as part of Cartoon Network based on WAP on Nokia 7110i handsets running GPRS...

Or maybe why as part of my current job, and back in 2000 I defined Apps & Services Strategy for Wireless and created partnerships with JamDat, EA and SEGA Mobile...Which is why I'm talking to EA Mobile for Wireless Multiplayer gaming over IMS (think IPTV, Mobile, Laptop, PC all working together)

Or maybe if that's not enough, why the hell do I have a PS3 a Wii and a 360 at home?

And since you're an expert on this by the looks of it, can you name ONE carrier that offers direct game downloads to ANY game publisher without some sort of agreement between the two? Unless you count as "mass opportunity" the users who flick through a free newspaper and see an ad for XYZ.COM txt 1411 to download asteroids for $5.99 which STILL is a Premium SMS gateway agreement between Carrier and Publishing house"...

Now tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.....based on FACTS

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I mean SERIOUSLY where do you come up with these assumptions.. I'm not a gamer nor have any contact with gaming on mobile?

Which is probably why in 1999 based on WAP my old company (GREY Advertising maybe you've heard of them) launched 20+ games as part of Cartoon Network based on WAP on Nokia 7110i handsets running GPRS...

Or maybe why as part of my current job, and back in 2000 I defined Apps & Services Strategy for Wireless and created partnerships with JamDat, EA and SEGA Mobile...Which is why I'm talking to EA Mobile for Wireless Multiplayer gaming over IMS (think IPTV, Mobile, Laptop, PC all working together)

Or maybe if that's not enough, why the hell do I have a PS3 a Wii and a 360 at home?

And since you're an expert on this by the looks of it, can you name ONE carrier that offers direct game downloads to ANY game publisher without some sort of agreement between the two? Unless you count as "mass opportunity" the users who flick through a free newspaper and see an ad for XYZ.COM txt 1411 to download asteroids for $5.99 which STILL is a Premium SMS gateway agreement between Carrier and Publishing house"...

:rolleyes: :confused: :uhoh:

Congrats on your success :)

.Mobi :fencing: .com

Just because you've not been able to utilize .Mobi for gaming purposes means no one else will be able to? :yo:

Back in 2001, how exactly did you 'define' Apps & Services Strategy for Wireless and created partnerships with JamDat ?? :noidea:

.Mobi :cheer2:

all4cost

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of the .mobi gang you are simply blind, and can't see one way or another that your extreme stance on this very topic is only causing people to ignore you and the .mobi extension altogether..

Thanks maroulis ;)

You folks that are into .mobi need to understand that many of the Buyers/Investors out there aren't just Major Companies and Corporations .... Many are the "Old .com Guard" - there's a lot of money to be spent by this demographic too .... :worried: I hate to see any extension be looked down upon like a lot of folks see IDN's now. As something that was force fed to them til they PUKED ......

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm 29, Professional , 7 years in Telco Wireless Strategy (IMS, IPTV, Apps & Services) business including Corporate Foresight, M&A, at Senior Management level. I've worked with AWS, Cingular, BTCellnet, Orange, Vodafone Group, you name it over 120 carriers, I speak 4 languages, have a g/f and 2 puppies.. yet I was called by Vision ignorant, by mjnels drunk and by other .mobi proteges lots of other things

but seriously now - looking at your signature, apart from the obvious LLL/NNN.mobi which enjoy a high reseller value due to pump of the extension in the forum(s), do you think TEXANS.MOBI is worth what? I bet you you can pick up the .info for less than that...

Not texanS.mobi, its "TEXAN" as an adjective. I dont think i will sell it. Its mine cause im a native Texan. I feel happy just to have it. And by putting it on my business card; what fun and pride that is! Impressive resume, i must say. I think that both of us may continue to argue regardless if .mobis become more popular and/valuable or not. but your information is informative. :smilewinkgrin:

And buying the "i'm into development" what are you going to develop? I'm really curious cause I live in TX (although not Texan obviously)? Just tell me what is that you'll develop that will make me, "the ignorant mobile user" to go there?

I have no idea at this moment. Maybe just a parked page and the Texan quote "Dont Mess With a Texan" along with my mobile phone number and email link. Maybe put on some links to mobile websites. Anyways, its not for sale. none of my .mobis are for sale. They are mine and i can tell my colleagues, clients, etc. my URL over the phone much easier than telling them a hotmail. Why not!?
If you think that i think i will get rich off of this, i dont think so at this moment. i dont have any crystal ball, but i got balls. :smilewinkgrin:

Do you know that 99% of the people on any network they just visit the portal of the carrier? I think you're confusing DoCoMo with .mobi.. .DoCoMo had a portal with millions of subs, and they had publishing/content/ecommerce engine to interface to *any* site and make money... Situation with .mobi is not even comparable..
uh, yea, i know this cause i deal with them every day. But there are thousands of unofficial websites that are advertised through the magazine, pc, mobile phone, and affiliate links. And as for Japan, image is everything. As for the percentage, that is just a little incorrect. The percentage is about 85%, but you are almost correct. There are other companies not on the official website, so on advertisements, we use the "QRcode" or "mailmag" or spamming. If you have access to the "Spice" database for AU KDDI and NTT's forum database access, you can see this information, but it runs about 3 months later.

.........Unless you count as "mass opportunity" the users who flick through a free newspaper and see an ad for XYZ.COM txt 1411 to download asteroids for $5.99 which STILL is a Premium SMS gateway agreement between Carrier and Publishing house"...

not all phones use the "texting" function.....

Please teach me more. I am really enjoying this conversation! Good to know ya!:cheesy:

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Dont Mess With a Texan"

I think that would be a big mistake. I believe you're from Texas but you've been away too long. No one I know says that. Can't find but one google result for it. The saying is "Don't mess with Texas". I wouldn't bastardize it. In a Texan's mind, Saying "Don't Mess with Texas" also covers "Don't mess with a Texan". Even though it was really just an anti-litter campaign developed by GSD&M

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's comments like these that keep me throwing punches. "No Getting away from it?" Good Grief. It doesn't even exist.

.Mobi does exist.It has recently been layed by the golden goose (Neil Edwards) and is awaiting to be hatched. :tape2:

Ofcourse, you won't notice it hatching, you'll just notice it appearing in your search engine results when looking for your keyword ideas for your .com's :eek: .
Once .Mobi finds its wings it'll fly :rapture:

:eyebrows:

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that would be a big mistake. I believe you're from Texas but you've been away too long. No one I know says that. Can't find but one google result for it. The saying is "Don't mess with Texas". I wouldn't bastardize it. In a Texan's mind, Saying "Don't Mess with Texas" also covers "Don't mess with a Texan". Even though it was really just an anti-litter campaign developed by GSD&M

There are 1,390,000 google results for "Don't Mess with Texas" and yes, i know its a anti-litter campaign. No one says it and I dont say it, i know, but its a nice slogan. I have been away from Texas for some time, but I will be going back home someday. Feels good to have this name. its valuable for ONLY ME and no one else. If you dont like it, dont access it. if you like it, access it. I dont care either way.

BTW, i dont know what names you have, but if you shared them with me, i wouldnt talk bad about your names.

Good info, though! thanx! :smilewinkgrin:

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You missed my point cause you think I'm picking on you when I'm not. My point was just don't get that slogan wrong on your website. Texans will never forgive you.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You missed my point cause you think I'm picking on you when I'm not. My point was just don't get that slogan wrong on your website. Texans will never forgive you.

ah. i gotcha. :lol: I think i did miss your point. I guess you were being informative, thats all. My mistake! :smilewinkgrin:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm 29, Professional , 7 years in Telco Wireless Strategy (IMS, IPTV, Apps & Services) business including Corporate Foresight, M&A, at Senior Management level. I've worked with AWS, Cingular, BTCellnet, Orange, Vodafone Group, you name it over 120 carriers, I speak 4 languages, have a g/f and 2 puppies.. yet I was called by Vision ignorant, by mjnels drunk and by other .mobi proteges lots of other things

but seriously now - looking at your signature, apart from the obvious LLL/NNN.mobi which enjoy a high reseller value due to pump of the extension in the forum(s), do you think TEXANS.MOBI is worth what? I bet you you can pick up the .info for less than that...

And buying the "i'm into development" what are you going to develop? I'm really curious cause I live in TX (although not Texan obviously)? Just tell me what is that you'll develop that will make me, "the ignorant mobile user" to go there?

Do you know that 99% of the people on any network they just visit the portal of the carrier? I think you're confusing DoCoMo with .mobi.. .DoCoMo had a portal with millions of subs, and they had publishing/content/ecommerce engine to interface to *any* site and make money... Situation with .mobi is not even comparable..

heh wow what an egotisticle post, lighten up man.. i never called you a drunk either.... i said: "you need to set down the bottle of jack daniels"

maybe you drink water out of a jack daniels bottle like me. nothin wrong with that.

Namebrander

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find it AMAZING that so many experienced domainers are in a state of complete denial about the instant mobi resale market !
I've only been in the domain game for 3 1/2 years but even I noticed the unprecedented immediate market for this new tld ! Personally I couldnt care less how much of this is due to hype etc. The real test of any tld / cctld is the marketplace.

Good grief ! can I remind you of mjnels excellent thread which notes the reported mobi sales thus far - I repeat THUS FAR ! Lets put this in perspective
the secondary mobi market isn't even four months old

Will the rise continue?

At this stage I'm confident that excluding the inevitable blip mobi is not only here to stay it's on its way up and up

naturally domains like

Ionlyboughtthismobicozeveryoneelseis.mobi will always be losers

quality mobis though will attract higher and higher prices over the years to come for sure

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

You bring up some good points that are hurdles, but not insurmountable. Right now (in the US) carriers have a stranglehold on mobile web surfers. Its like the old days with Prodigy and AOL. With all the new phones coming out that can browse the web, mobile surfers are getting away from their carriers portals. Pricing plans are getting away from charging by the kb to unlimited plans.

To publish, you don't have to directly negotiate with the carrier. There are many many resellers who can manage billing for you - bango.com is one off the top of my head.

You don't have to get the carriers permission to allow people to download your games, and you don't need permission to be able to bill them. You can do all billing through such a third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom