• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Which tool do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picobello

DNF Regular
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
530
Reaction score
0
to filter huge dropped names list: 200K names per list?

Tell me more because even excel is dead in doing that

Thanks
 
A few ideas:

1. Download the beta version of Office 2007. Excel supports up to 1m rows.
2. OpenOffice.org already supports this.
3. Use a tool like Monarch to parse and filter your list.
4. If you are so inclined, use a programming language that supports text manipulation (most do). A few that have worked well in the past for me depending on the platform: Awk, VB, and Perl. Any language that supports looping, text files, and regular expressions should do well.

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks a lot for your ideas

I was more thinking to an easy to use, ready-made application
 
Thanks a lot for your ideas

I was more thinking to an easy to use, ready-made application


My 3rd option is a visual ready made tool designed to extract and filter large data sets. However, it's expensive ($600) and there is a 1 day learning curve.

An opensource alternative is http://www.pentaho.org/ I have not tried it tho.

I have a web based one on my dev list, but it's not a high priority.
 
Thanks again,

A web-based one ?! I think you can forget it considering the number of records (lines) in most of these files (200 000 records).

Do I have to conclude that nobody is currently filtering these huge files? I cannot believe it ;-)
 
Believe me....they are being filtered. I've been doing it for quite some time...but I'm not about to share my app and I'm sure the other that wrote them aren't either...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom