• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Whois Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
3,506
Reaction score
5
Is Whois information required to be correct by law or just by the service agreement.

Thanks.
 
There is no law.

I believe it is a requirement of Icann for registrars to make sure all data is current.

And, if the whois is totally false (or even incorrect) they can begin the process
of deleting the domain.

I had a registrar contact me because someone could not reach me by phone.
And, I wasn't returning the caller's phone calls. So, they filed a complaint.

The whois that surprises me are the ones that might say

Registrant - George Bush (or some other incorrect name)
street - none
City - Washington, DC

email address - sam101 (at) hotmail.com (which would be correct.)

Also, about a year ago, I saw a whois on a domain that obviously was a TM
problem and they had BuyDomains name on it. But, the real owners email address.
 
Yup, it's just required by ICANN.
 
actnow said:
I had a registrar contact me because someone could not reach me by phone.
And, I wasn't returning the caller's phone calls. So, they filed a complaint.

:cheeky:
 
Why don't registers enforce it ?
 
What many people don't realize is it can be very costly for a registrar to verify
all WHOIS complaints. Especially for those who charge less than $10 for new
domains, they need to allocate their resources carefully.

I once discussed this with one of my registrar contacts. He frankly told me how
much time and effort it costs them trying to get all WHOIS reports done both
effectively and efficiently while barely trying to make a profit.
 
So if one was to come across a domain with false or inacurate data what is the procedure to get the domain shut down ?

This I beleive should be reinforced for domain names related to phishing or spamming activities...

Sam
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom