Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Whose afraid of the IPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Traffic is the new currency:

1/3 people on Earth live in China and India combined, how many of these masses have/will buy iphone-capability phones in the next 2-3 years.. (about when does internet arrive to most phones?) Does this mean a widespread demand will rise for small screen internet experience shortly?

(years and years from now then the lowest end phones have iphone capabilities.. by then .mobi can just upgrade their standardization)

Like the microsoft windows revolution unified computers on a common platform, whether its Fphone, Gphone, Iphone, Zphone, `Phone, - Lowest Common Denominator wins!

.mobi for works on ALL phones!

Kind Regards,

Yelo

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why won't the Chinese and Indians type-in iphones.mobi so they can find out about iphones? There are plenty of them.

iphones.gif

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to prove, and to who.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thank god we can always count on Greg for the charts and graphs of why the .mobi TLD is worthless.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
But Greg, the trend looks fantabulous! :D

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, let go of this notion that mobile internet is big in India. Its not. I've lived there all but one year of my life. What folks call "mobile internet" in India is something entirely different - its a simple portal provided by the phone service where you can download ringtones, etc. Using this service, you can't fire up your browser and type in Google.com. The service that allows you to do this is too expensive for Indian standards.

Moreover, the majority of Indian mobile users aren't in the big 4-6 cities usually mentioned in the surveys (Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, etc.) but more or less in medium sized cities (like mine - Jaipur).

So take it from an Indian. Mobile Internet as seen in Europe or Japan is about 5 years away from India. When we debate about .mobi and .com, we can leave out India safely.

And don't quote me stats or surveys - they are grossly inflated and usually take a sample of the super rich in big cities that can afford the high end mobiles and pay for the mobile internet service as a novelty.

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information

I was kinda just speculating about the future..

But how many mobile phones period right now are there in India? And are these arriving to the internet in the next coming years? (with cheaper calling through VOIP technology through new Skype type phones)

Same goes with China..

Infastructure may be built to save money and stay competitive/modern - natural flow economics

Calling over the Internet is practically free, and except for the monopoly phone manufacturers who resist VOIP to protect their cashflows, their bubble is bursting - internet phones are arriving on the horizon

..the masses gravitate to lower costs/saving money

(I used to pay $17 for music CD's until I realized they cost like 25 cents to make when I started downloading)

Please see, the new world trend -

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9829

Kind Regards,

Yelo

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yelo,

The main problem with India is that the infrastructure is vastly underdeveloped. Broadband, for instance, still has "download limits" in most of the plans offered. The limits are generally very low (for instance, the most popular one has a limit of just 1 GB) and the rates for going over limit aren't exactly cheap. Moreover, the broadband speeds are a fraction of what you get in the US.This makes VOIP an expensive proposition for most people. I still spend over $150 per month on calling cards to India.

To be honest, things in India aren't quite as rosy as they're made out to be. There is a huge media push towards presenting a particular "image" to the rest of the world (just as its in China, though I'm unaware of the realities there) that India is progressing very rapidly. Truth is, a very small number of elites are the ones who're actually benefiting. The average guy is no better off than he was 10 years ago.

The focus in India (as well as in China) has been put entirely on the big cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore in India, Beijing, Shanghai in China. While most other cities have seen lots of growth, the infrastructure has just not caught up.

P.S.: I still pay $17 for new CDs. I like the feel of something to hold onto :)

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very interesting read, thanks

I know in Philippines, the countrymen are crazy over mobile

It is a very influential and powerful tool in the Philippines, where the average user sends 10-12 text messages a day . The Philippines alone sends on the average 400 million text messages a day or approximately 142 billion text messages sent a year, more than the annual average SMS volume of the countries in Europe, and even China and India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_messaging

I wonder how a "free", alternative technology to text messaging will see fit in the Philippines as well from those profiting..

How soon, how about the poor, the masses, and the children..

Kind Regards,

Yelo

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, things in India aren't quite as rosy as they're made out to be. There is a huge media push towards presenting a particular "image" to the rest of the world (just as its in China, though I'm unaware of the realities there) that India is progressing very rapidly. Truth is, a very small number of elites are the ones who're actually benefiting. The average guy is no better off than he was 10 years ago.

The focus in India (as well as in China) has been put entirely on the big cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore in India, Beijing, Shanghai in China. While most other cities have seen lots of growth, the infrastructure has just not caught up.

I totally and whole-heartedly disagree. Though now I live in Jaipur but I was born and brought up in a small village in Punjab -- and we still maintain our farmland there. The changes which have come up are HUGE and people have never been better off.

I have a question for you -- Do you actually live in India? How many time have you visited Indian Villages? Have you "yourself" seen that there is no progress overall?

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Using this service, you can't fire up your browser and type in Google.com.
Of course not, must be GOOGLE.MOBI !!!
;)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I totally and whole-heartedly disagree. Though now I live in Jaipur but I was born and brought up in a small village in Punjab -- and we still maintain our farmland there. The changes which have come up are HUGE and people have never been better off.

I have a question for you -- Do you actually live in India? How many time have you visited Indian Villages? Have you "yourself" seen that there is no progress overall?

As I mentioned, I've lived all but one year of my life in India, and will be moving back in a couple of years.

I lived in Jaipur for about 4 years before moving to the States last year. Before Jaipur, I lived in pretty small places: Alwar, Bharatpur, etc.

I think the difference here is one of perspective: I see the elite moving upwards at a much faster rate than the middle class.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the difference here is one of perspective: I see the elite moving upwards at a much faster rate than the middle class.

There is an old saying - Money Makes Money. SO it is no doubt that the elite class will move upwards faster (btw - how do you define 'elite' class).

But things are not as gloomy for middle class or lower class as you are trying to make them out. As a matter of fact, they are not gloomy at all.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the next question would be, how does the average domainer effectively monetize chinese mobi traffic :)

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how does the average domainer effectively monetize chinese mobi traffic
Same as usually - installing trojans, creating a zombie network :)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is an old saying - Money Makes Money. SO it is no doubt that the elite class will move upwards faster (btw - how do you define 'elite' class).

But things are not as gloomy for middle class or lower class as you are trying to make them out. As a matter of fact, they are not gloomy at all.

I'm not saying that things are "gloomy" for them. In fact, the middle class has had it quite good with the stock market run. Its the lower class that makes up the majority in India that hasn't seen too much change. As you said, money makes money. But the lower class is hardly seeing new money pumped into it.

We must keep in mind that India still has 330 million people who are BPL, and a middle class of just around a 100 million. The lower class is a huge majority. In absolute numbers, if you combine the lower and the BPL people, the amount becomes HUGE. The number of poor in India hasn't reduced; these people aren't moving up in the class order, as it has been made out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators