Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker Why are some of my moniker domains being forwarded to searchportal.information.com ?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just renewing some names at MONIKER and wanted to check their parking earnings before I spend $7 on a name that only makes $4 a year.
I was shocked to find some of my names are being forwarded to searchportal.
When I did a little research, it seems my nameservers were changed to their default nameservers, which forwards to an optimized searchportal parking page.

How long have they been generating money from my names?
Do I have any recourse?

I am fully aware of "Monikers URL forwarding scam."
First, you MUST use moniker's default nameservers for their URL forwarding service to work.
Then, you forget to "pay" to renew their free URL forwarding service.
When your service ends, your traffic gets forwarded to their searchportal.information.com parking page.

But, since when do they just change your DNS settings and steal your revenue?

I know I can't be the only one.

Domain Summit 2024

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just another reason to transfer your domains away from them IMO, i have one name there ATM, and i will be moving it ASAP.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just another reason to transfer your domains away from them IMO, i have one name there ATM, and i will be moving it ASAP.

lol, so what are all the other reasons?

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A domain resolves to your nameservers till expiry.

On expiry MOST registrars will point the domain to their own searchportal ad pages and make money from it for 30 days till it hits registrar expiry.

The skimmers have perfected this over time, its just one more way for them to skin the cat.

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, so what are all the other reasons?

The snapnames scandal leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the whole oversee group IMO.

There are a whole list of registers which i wont touch for many reasons unless i buy a domain there and transfer it out.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is absolutely f*cking ridiculous that a "free service" like the forwarding in my account expires and has to be renewed manually or names stop forwarding. This is total bullshit and moniker is stealing our revenue, they don't even keep the forwarding intact when you do renew it after they have already switched it over to their parking page.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least Moniker leaves my DNS settings intact for a while after the domain's expiration date (which is helpful when I want to renew). The moment a domain expires at GoDaddy, wham! They've got it parked with their own nameservers.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still remember the good old days with Lee Odom...he was a pleasure to do business with. Moniker has fallen so far since those days. I'm hoping they can find their way back to doing business with personal touch.

I personally had issues with Moniker, errors which have never been resolved and cost us $$$, plus lack of service including Parking revenue that I never saw stats for even though requested many times. This all started me to move my domains away. I did like Moniker and it was my choice...and I told many people to use them.

I'm usually not one for Ranting but it's the New Year and maybe this will help Moniker get back on the right track.

*You should not have to post on the DNForum or any forum to get service or a rep to say send me a pm or contact me...sure that is great but it should be a rare occasion not the normal practice... It's unprofessional to have to go to a forum to get attention/service. You should be able to contact the company direct and get the support you need.

My issues with Moniker have never been made public, but may end up in a book someday...LOL
My publisher is trying to figure out what shelf to place it on, the Crime or Comedy section.

Happy New Year!!! Wish you all the best...

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker has fallen so far since those days. I'm hoping they can find their way back to doing business with personal touch.

I personally had issues with Moniker, errors which have never been resolved and cost us $$$, plus lack of service including Parking revenue that I never saw stats for even though requested many times. This all started me to move my domains away. I did like Moniker and it was my choice...and I told many people to use them.

I'm usually not one for Ranting but it's the New Year and maybe this will help Moniker get back on the right track.

*You should not have to post on the DNForum or any forum to get service or a rep to say send me a pm or contact me...sure that is great but it should be a rare occasion not the normal practice... It's unprofessional to have to go to a forum to get attention/service. You should be able to contact the company direct and get the support you need.

My issues with Moniker have never been made public, but may end up in a book someday...LOL
My publisher is trying to figure out what shelf to place it on, the Crime or Comedy section.

Happy New Year!!! Wish you all the best...

Stewie - You are absolutely correct when you said "You should not have to post on DNForum or any forum to get service or a rep". You should know to either open a help ticket inside your Moniker account or contact me directly for assistance.

Support is on call/working (and of course you know you could always email me) and we'd be able to assist you with your issues.

Thanks, Happy New Year!

~Bari

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He will do whatever he wants. He doesn't need permission from anyone to post here.
And if you actually replied to support tickets then he wouldn't have to post here.

Stewie - You are absolutely correct when you said "You should not have to post on DNForum or any forum to get service or a rep". You should know to either open a help ticket inside your Moniker account or contact me directly for assistance.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It pisses me off when companies default to steal your traffic whether it's a registrar or a parking company. Revenue Direct was one parking company that didn't resolve a name unless it was in someone's account. Unfortunately Sedo bought them out and shut them down.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It pisses me off when companies default to steal your traffic whether it's a registrar or a parking company. Revenue Direct was one parking company that didn't resolve a name unless it was in someone's account. Unfortunately Sedo bought them out and shut them down.
You assume Sedo pays you for domains not in your account?

In fact, they regularly 'delete' domains from your account for an assortment of reasons, while the ns still resolves to them.

The pennies sure add up when its for hundreds of thousands of domains every year.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You assume Sedo pays you for domains not in your account?

Oh no. Sedo has made a lot of money off of names I had pointing to their name servers and not in my account. Resolving names not in anyone's account and keeping 100% of the revenue is a scummy thing to do but I think they all do it now.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My domain is also being redirected to the exact same address you mentioned, but my domain is not registered at Moniker! Is there a solution to this?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least Moniker leaves my DNS settings intact for a while after the domain's expiration date (which is helpful when I want to renew). The moment a domain expires at GoDaddy, wham! They've got it parked with their own nameservers.

ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom