Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Why do names not sell on forums but sell well as a drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ShytKicker said:
and definitely not 3 years that are spent 12 hours per day talking to sellers that over price their domains, back out of deals, sell stolen domains, yada yada yada.
when you win a name from a drop catcher, you get the name.
who knows what will happen with a forum name, even after a price is agreed upon.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a great post and I think you hammered the nail squarely on the head.

When you figure in the value of those big investors' time - and the time they would lose looking for, haggling over, getting screwed on names on the forums - paying a premium for the convenience and safety of the auction format makes a lot of sense - and probably saves them money in the end. And it perfectly explains why they rarely (if ever) waste their time on the forums.

** Do yourself a favor and let the other ones drop too, unless you plan to develop them. And consider the money you wasted part of your education - and stick to .com's.

Drop em' .. hell will have to freeze over before i drop em' or my CC would need to implode ... I said that these 3-4 names were trophy names i like em and thats all that matters as far as i am concerned ... if you wanted a super name to use as a personal or business email address .AC will do that just fine. I questioned the validity of a $25K sale of a .AC domain ...

Education and stick to .com .. I been doin that for 10 years but that doesn't mean that different extensions don't work ... plently do, .com is not the be all and end all of everything or the only way to go, all you need do is take a little bit more notice of DNJournal sales results to know that ...

DTalk

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here you go...

Here's the actual Sedo auction for this name, showing bidders, and final price the seller achieved:

http://www.sedo.com/auction/auction...=us&auction_id=12585&tracked=&partnerid=14607

Thx for that DTalk ... I musta missed that on DNJ or my memory is stuffed ..
Games.AC ... $26.5K USD, in 2007 .. what a waste of money even back then for a name that doesn't resolve to this day!

Thats the first time that i have seen a .AC name sell for a lot of money

As a side note i dropped Game.AC in 2008 :eek:

If anyone is interested this is just one of the reasons why some .AC names can get some typo type confusion traffic:

.ac.uk - academic (tertiary education, further education colleges and research establishments) and learned societies

Not just anybody can reg a .ac.uk it's highly trafficed by academics/students from the UK and around the world. http://www.ja.net

iamjimmorrison

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I signed up here in part because of sales potentials. Oh well. It just seems there is more opportunity out there to organize this industry more outside of the Snapnames and Namejets of the world...but given this, I will still put out single or limited list of names for sale here. You never know where a buyer can come from, but I agree, big lists tend to be overwhelming

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question regarding AC domains:

Assuming that one is seeking SEO traffic rather than type-in traffic or name resale, might an AC domain be worthwhile for the available keywords?

Anybody know how google treats keyword.ac compared to same content on something like best-keyword-reviews.com?

-- J.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question regarding AC domains:

Assuming that one is seeking SEO traffic rather than type-in traffic or name resale, might an AC domain be worthwhile for the available keywords?

Anybody know how google treats keyword.ac compared to same content on something like best-keyword-reviews.com?

-- J.

There is no good reason why a .AC domain name/site would not index well in Google ... SMS.AC was the only developed .AC that i have personally known of .. SMS.AC was the first page ranking site in the World for the term SMS for a number of Years unfortunatly the site went bad and has apparently scammed a lot of people hence it's demise ... but SMS.AC still has many references on Google ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sms.ac&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g6g-s2g-m2

http://www.ripoffreport.com/cellular-phone-companies/sms-ac/sms-ac-ripoff-these-guys-are-d-6d88d.htm

I forgot .. Diamonds.AC is a full developed website .. located in Australia so best ranking would be Geo .. Google.com.au

.AC is the registry of Ascension Island .. reg cost direct with the registry is 60 GBP first year then 30 GBP there-after per year there are many resellers of .AC domain names .. idotz.net is one of them ..

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Auctions are the only place where you can overpay and still feel like a winner :D That's the only reason.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This boils down to the venue. If there was a good venue which would allow for an large inventory & easy searching and analytics for the buyer - along with a business model of putting the $$ in the owners pocket and not the registrar's - that would be a winner - I believe snapnames had done the best with this - but it is really not good enough....

Actually, If there was a venue that worked hand in hand with the forums for cross promotion that may work nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom