Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why I am strongly in favor of the WLS

Are you in favor of the WLS?

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
like safesys said, I too will be curious to see your achievements and comments in the first week after the launch

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this won't affect me.

The WLS, if it ever comes, came too late.

All the names that I have been eyeing for the past 2 years have already gone back into the aftermarket, or snapped by me in the last 2 quarters. I'm waiting for .com value to depress further what with further shockers like WorldCom before I make my move on the sellers.

I am just against the privileged use of RRP to gain an advantage over the small players. Insider trading won't stop with WLS, but it will sure as hell make some of these people bleed.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
See, I don't care if the major players or anyone else bleeds. I wish everybody well, even my competitors.

I'm only concerned about how it will affect me personally and the market as a whole.

Everything the major players have now, they have worked out over the years. They had to put a lot of effort, time, funds and resources to get to where they are now.

And yet people still demand that they should be getting the best names having put minimal effort. 'Buydomains beat me on my Snapback again' etc...

Pathetic.

Can't you really see that both ultsearch and buydomains are often beaten by individuals? It's not easy, but not impossible either..

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
I'm waiting for .com value to depress further what with further shockers like WorldCom before I make my move on the sellers.

Yeah, I too've been wondering what effect the WorldCom debacle will have on the trust and value of .com names. It may have a minor effect in the short-term, but neglible long-term I feel.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle

Everything the major players have now, they have worked out over the years. They had to put a lot of effort, time, funds and resources to get to where they are now.

Yeah, from that perspective, I agree WLS sucks. A whole cottage industry has developed for expired domains. This will all be threatened by the WLS.

Time to watch the World Cup!

Mole, you never miss a trick to try and claim .com prices will be affected by something or other.

The worldcom collapse will have no bearing on domain values - the days of the overspend on hope and hype are gone, now most companies buy domains based on a benefit vs cost basis and that is good for sellers and buyers even if it means less headline grabbing sales.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand the opposing point of view, I think.

But it seems to me that if you are not interested in making money on expiring domains (gettings thousands), but are just interested in getting a handful for your own purposes, then the WLS will be good.

It is a verifiable fact that the big speculators absolutely HATE the WLS. Just go to buydomains.com and read their press release.

Well, the big players are the ones who treat this as a business rather than as a hobby or as fun so any change/increase is the same as if any other business has a supplier price hike.

But make no mistake, regardless of what occurs - they are the ones who will make the most of the situation regardless of whether they like it or not. Thats the nature of business.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The main problem is that some people have adopted this anti-buydomains and anti-ultsearch attitude..

'what's bad for them must be good for me'. Nothing can be further from the truth in this case.

BD, yun yee and (some of) us are in the same business (the two mentioned companies being the leaders).

WLS is gonna make doing business harder both for them and for (some of) us.

Simple as that

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As i already stated a 1000 times why the WLS is NOT GOOD i keep it like: I agree with safesys and uncle.
Especially the 2 last posts should be read again and again by those who still don't get it.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Mole, you never miss a trick to try and claim .com prices will be affected by something or other.

One can hope :D

Actually, .com ain't all that bad, but the names I want for my set are pretty pricey right now.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The whole domain GAME is going to change drastically, when WLS is implemeted.
Not just for speculators, but for everyone.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why so, Nic?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well... no longer will the Droping of a domain be a domainers thing.
the WLS sonner or later will grow and eventually will attract the averge joe and jane doe and before you know it, everyone will rather WLS their rerquested domain and wait couple of weeks/months than get a www.oh-crap-another-stupid-domain.ws

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm interesting logic

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...in essence...verisign will be getting fatter and fatter, cause it will evetually make more $$$. i think it will charge other registrars $29 , not sure, either way,
thats ~ 500% increase.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are probably right. Verisign needs the money badly to pay its debts.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since my name-grabbing ventures have been pretty much limited (by finances mainly) to scanning the lists of deleted names-- usually weeks or months after they drop-- I don't feel I really have enough experiential knowledge to decide yet whether or not I'm in favor of the WLS.

Don't you feel though that this is what would happen: Right now people interested in a name about to drop have been mostly hesitant to tip off the owner by offering to buy it outright before it is deleted-- instead going for the chance of getting it at Namewinner or Snapnames cost or even just for registration fee. This creates something of a "conspiracy of silence" that tends to work against the name owner.

If however one and only one person (the WLS signee) would get the name and all the others then have zero chance if it drops, their best hope other than giving up on that name is to try to buy it outright from the owner before it drops. Thus on mid-cap and better names everyone but the WLS holder would be bidding on the name and trying to buy it from the owner, who would subsequently have a lot less incentive to let it drop in the first place. If anyone profits big from WLS it will be the original name owners, who now either don't know the value of what they have when they let it drop or maybe don't think the trouble of trying to sell it is worth the potential renumeration.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
namedancer, I think you're right. I thought about that too and it does not look good for anybody in the business because each inquiry about a domain will result in the registrant's renewing it

I also wonder how WLS supporters intend to outbid ultsearch and Buydomains if those companies start making offers on the domains that they have WLS subscriptions on (assuming theoretically they somehow manage to get subscriptions for good names) ?

MillerTyme

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nic
Chief Executive Officer

Local time: 02:26 AM

...in essence...verisign will be getting fatter and fatter, cause it will evetually make more $$$. i think it will charge other registrars $29 , not sure, either way,
thats ~ 500% increase.>>>>>>>>

As of June 27th Chuck Gomes has changed it to $ 24; and he's also adding " An Interim Redemption Grace Period implemented with the WLS before the Redemption Grace Period is fully in place"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators