• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

why people call poker texas holdem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,588
Reaction score
5
Hi.....I am not a native English speaker so I don`t know much about the different way to name games.....but I`m curious about poker since it is a big keyword.
Why the word Texas? Is it related to the Us state of Texas ? And why Holdem ?

Thanks....just try to explain me like if I was 5 year old ...:embaressed_smile:
 
I didnt read the article so you might already know this now, but Texas Holdem is just one of hundreds of different Poker games. There is 5 card draw, 7 card stud, and many more. Texas Holdem has become an extremely popular game recently so that is why you hear about it so much compared to other poker games. Tournaments such as the World Series of Poker use holdem for their championship.
 
nrmillions said:
I didnt read the article so you might already know this now, but Texas Holdem is just one of hundreds of different Poker games. There is 5 card draw, 7 card stud, and many more. Texas Holdem has become an extremely popular game recently so that is why you hear about it so much compared to other poker games. Tournaments such as the World Series of Poker use holdem for their championship.


yes I read that it is just one variant but I`m still kurios why they called it :

hold`em
 
becuase as in most poker games, a major object of the game is to get people to fold. If you hold 'em, you pay to play, but you have a chance at winning. If you dont hold 'em, you have no chance what-so-ever. It all comes down to two things. Do you hold what you've got, or take the chance and take the pot.
 
I am not 100 % sure but as far as I know Texas Holdem was started amongst road gamblers in Dallas, Texas. The game gained instant popularity as it allowed more people to play at the same time and allowed for much more action.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom