Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why such a long lead time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the one month until expiry rule. Specifically:

1) Perhaps this rule can be removed for DNF buck auctions?

2) If it is at a registrar where a 'push' is a matter of minutes, perhaps a shorter amount of time should be allowed? (Perhaps as long as it is specified in the description that it expires soon)

I think if there is no chance that there will be problems due to the domain expiring before the transaction is over, and as long as buyers are made aware of the expiry date it would be reasonable to allow the domains to be auctioned - if someone is willing to bid, they upcoming renewal fee must be worth it to them.

Upvote 0

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1) Many people don't like to buy names that are about to expire. It means more cost - more hassle - and it's just something else to have to worry about right away.

2) 30 days or less is definitely considered 'about to expire'.

3) We have to choose SOME rule. If we said 2 MONTHS then some people would say too long. If we said 2 WEEKS then some people would say too short. 30 days is definitely a fair amount.

4) Your point about people being willing to pay the extra renewal fee - since they are willing to bid..... could be turned around and viewed from the opposite perspective. If the seller is so confident that his name will sell for such a healthy price - then he should have no problem paying to renew it himself before he tries to sell it - instead of passing the buck to the buyer. (refer to #1)

5) We need consistency. If everybody is allowed to add 'special conditions' to their name - that makes the entire process more complicated for everyone. The theory that people will only bid on names they have previously checked these 'special conditions' for - just doesn't hold water. The majority of people will NOT get the name they were hoping for. There can only be one winner. Many sales will come from impulse - and will be decided on the fly. There is simply no time for people to look up 'special conditions' when a name is live on the blocks at that moment.

If we were talking about regular sales threads - where the buyer can list whatever special conditions he wants - and the seller has plenty of time to think about it - then obviously it would not be a big deal. These are LIVE AUCTIONS though - and there has to be some set standards - that every name and sale must follow. It's all about consistency. Otherwise it would be a complicated mess for everybody involved.

Domain Summit 2024

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, I didn't see a 30 day before expiration in the rules. I did sell some names already where the expiration was less than that but I did state this in the auction. Adding the expiration date to auctions mayb be a good idea.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see auction rules have changed a little. I resind my previous post.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Namepopper: I suppose that is reasonable... although I would say 2 weeks is a better time (and agree that people will say it is too short). I must say one of the things I like is that there are no hidden fees. Eg: transfer fees. That has made the quality and utility of the auctions a good deal greater to me.

And funnily enough, ever since we have had the auctions, I have completely forgotten about the existance of the regular sales threads. :)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
At first, I thought the same as your initial remarks, ddent! :) However, after reading 'Popper's comments and rationale, I agree completely with the "30-day rule" ... and now I'm off to do some renewals! :D
Good Luck.
PS. Namepopper - THANKS for all of your hard work!! Seriously.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ddent
And funnily enough, ever since we have had the auctions, I have completely forgotten about the existance of the regular sales threads. :)

Hehe. :D

Getting a little caught up in the auction fun huh?

I think we all are - including me!

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with 30 days for several reasons.
  1. If registrar transfer problems occur, it gives you plenty of time to get it straigtened out. (nobody here's ever had the problem, right??)
  2. If the new owner wishes to do a registrar transfer after getting ownership, it gives plenty of time to get the transfer through without being stuck at an unwanted registrar at who knows what renewal prices. Particularly since some registrars seem to make sure first transfer attempts aren't successful.
  3. If it's a chancy deal, it gives you 4 weeks to try to dump it in the next auction or sell it elsewhere.
    [/list=1]

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just nitpicking: it doesn't give you 4 weeks because then you break the rule :)

Other then that, yes...

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ddent
Just nitpicking: it doesn't give you 4 weeks because then you break the rule :)

Other then that, yes...

Yea, I guess if you were between 30-37 days left you've got a point about not putting in the next acution within the rules. There are other places to sell, and some are probably over the 37 days and could still meet the rules.

Good point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom