Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why you do not like .mobi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am assisting in gathering information for a presentation.

A simple question will be addressed.

Why do you not like .mobi?

Please post your responses here.

Looking for reasons, not so much opinions (although some may be worthy).

Please try to address the specifics as to why you do not like .mobi.

EDIT: Your response will be forwarded. Understand that some quotes may be taken from your responses.

Last edited:

Dorkside

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because the whole idea behind the extension (using it specifically for use on mobile devices) will be pointless as internet browsers improve on smart phones and users can easily navigate the regular version of a website.

Also, if you want a site to have a unique address for a mobile version I prefer mobi.example.com over example.mobi, but that' just me.

Last edited:

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because when this extension started they promised some things...never happened.

I don't like .mobi because when I've started to domaining 2 years ago in my dreams I've seen .com only.
When I've started I had to choice an extension to trust to make money quick and to rise my daughter...and I choose .com.

Never looking back.

Some .mobi generics are nice but I never really invested in this extension.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank for the responses thus far.

I will forward them on to the person putting together this presentation.

I am presuming he will use some actual quotes.

So do be aware that you may be quoted.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because the web was designed as a device-independent medium and .mobi goes counter that (IMO great) concept. Device-independent design does not mean you can't serve tailored content to the browser using content negotiation techniques. I mean, come on, do you want a .handi for websites that are certified for impaired people :rolleyes:
IMO the mobile Internet boils down to an accessibility issue.

A separate extension further isolates the struggling mobile web.

The distinction between desktop and mobile has already blurred and technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, making the justification for a separate TLD even more obsolete.

Last but not least I also think it's unbrandable.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like it because it came out about 6-8 years too late.

Around that time (1998-2000) cel phones were starting to have web capabilities but it was slow, 14.4K and all text. .mobi would have been great especially if cell phone manufacturers made it the default extension.

In 2005, when .mobi launched, many smart phones and phones already had fully capable browsers allowing the phone user to see the internet as they would on a home computer so there was no need for a specific TLD for mobile devices.

If it was launched in 1997, 1998 or 1999 then it could have been a huge success.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since this is a chance for folks to make a reasoned response to the question, I will keep my comments regarding posts to myself.

I appreciate that people are taking a definitive "why" approach.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because of Flowers.mobi ...

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like it cause it never has lived up to it's hype...and it cost me money$$$

I really don't see anything happening with it,

talk is cheap... dot mobi's are not.

:yo:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
search the posts from the goldrush...it's all there and personally I still feel the same today.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well guys i see a lot of big companys using .mobi... i think it a sleeper in a couple of years it should start taking off...

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because lots of major corporations are using it for websites tailored to small-screen devices, and those devices are the future. As a result, my .coms won't be able to compete in the small-screen arena, and will become less valuable. I don't like .mobi because it looks as though it's headed for success, that is, lots of end users, not ppc schemers. This makes the other extensions less useful, and I have some names in those extensions. I don't like .mobi because it's a serious threat to the worth of my portfolio. As a result, I felt the need to buy some .mobi names to hedge that bet.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobi because lots of major corporations are using it for websites tailored to small-screen devices, and those devices are the future. As a result, my .coms won't be able to compete in the small-screen arena, and will become less valuable. I don't like .mobi because it looks as though it's headed for success, that is, lots of end users, not ppc schemers. This makes the other extensions less useful, and I have some names in those extensions. I don't like .mobi because it's a serious threat to the worth of my portfolio. As a result, I felt the need to buy some .mobi names to hedge that bet.

well said broe!!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do you not like .mobi?

All the bloody cheerleading. It never ends...

WhiteLight

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a large amount of revenue being left on the table from lack of promotion for the Dot Mobi's right now. I am not happy about the promises they made and their procrastination to deliver. Why are they waiting so long to make their promised move is the question?

My hypothesis is follow the money trail. The big boys (domain investors) could possibly be degrading the dot mobi's out of insecurities about losing some extensive value to their illustrious dot Com's, if the Dot Mobi thrives. The only possible threat to the Dot Com's could be Dot Mobi.

They (some domain investors) can and do regulate a portion of the market. Whoever has the most money will usually win the game? I think possibly the big boys (large domain investors) will lose the battle to the even bigger boys (investors and supporters of the dot Mobi's listed below) when the real games begin!

Google
Microsoft
Nokia
GSMA
Hutchison
Orascom Telecom
Samsung Electronics
Syniverse
Telefonica Moviles
TIM
T-Mobile
VisaVodafone

I am holding all of my dot Mobi's at least another year as they might take off like a rocket, if and when when the cash cows release their funds to promote the dot Mobi's.

Imagine a few billion dollars coming into the game to get the dot Mobi business off the ground via the investors and promoters. Imagine if the Dot Mobi took half of the internet business or more and the large revenue involved. Imagine free Mobi phones and time for everybody. They would still make a profit.

Things would change fast and therefore possibly "NOW," is the right time to buy up the Dot Mobi's. We probably will never see these low of prices again.

I have been registering 3 letter dot mobi's. There were none available on land rush night or at least I didn't find any.
2328 dropped 3 letter Dot Mobi's were available I read at over at dndizzy.com. http://www.dndizzy.com/post/Graveyard-LLL-3-Character-MOBI-Domains-for-26th-Jan-2009.aspx.

As soon as they are bought up, the price could possibly go right back up to a few hundred each and thousands each for the good ones. Someone recently sold a 3 letter Dot Mobi at Sedo for over 7k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators