Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Windows 8 ... WTF is that?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WOWser.

Just installed Windows 8 onto a desktop (had the 14.99 upgrade).

All I can say if you have not seen it yet is you'll be shaking your head, scratching your scalp, standing there looking dumbfounded, and muttering WTF?

It is a bizarre attempt by Microsoft that I think seriously misses the mark. Rather than upgrading windows, it almost seems like a retro downgrade.

Windows obviously wanted to give the look and feel of a tablet or phone with these apps everywhere. But, guess what, MS??? My desktop is NOT a touchscreen. Not all laptops are touchscreens.

MS has made this so user unfriendly and familiar. I am for change. I advocate change. I teach change. Windows 8 changed Windows. Windows 8 broke :laser:Windows.

Typically when MS did an upgrade, you usually did not have to relearn where every thing was. There was some similarity from edition to edition. Well, you will wish you had that familiarity back in short time. There is no start button at the bottom on the left corner. Finding all your installed programs is a chore. You will have to completely and totally relearn Windows. There is zilch, no, nada, nein, nyet familiarity. There is no standards in transition from edition to edition.

Don't get me wrong...Vista SUCKED. But at least the start button was in the start button place. And when you clicked on something you usually knew what it did. You'll be clicking all night long to see what something does. So much, in fact, that by the time you are done clicking you will have forgotten what all those buttons and clicks did.

Yes, I may be planning a downgrading BACK to Windows 7 Home Premium.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also just installed it.... not really having a problem with it.

One misconception that alot of the preview articles led me to believe was that there wasn't a typical "desktop" and that the live tiles were the only way to open/operate apps. This is COMPLETELY incorrect. In fact, there is a desktop mode and it looks 98% like Windows 7.

Would the live tiles be more user friendly with a touch-based computer? YES
Is it completely impossible to operate without a touch-based computer? NO

This new OS will mesh perfectly with their Windows Phone OS, and the tablets that will run Windows 8. I think the app-based infrastructure that Microsoft is going for it going to keep them a relevant company and possibly crush the competition.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This new OS will mesh perfectly with their Windows Phone OS, and the tablets that will run Windows 8. I think the app-based infrastructure that Microsoft is going for it going to keep them a relevant company and possibly crush the competition.
I am sure that was their intent. Initially, finding the Settings and Files was an issue...you have to place your pointer in the corner to activate it. There are some neat appearing features (the way the apps are arranged).

Overall, the appearance and their color selection is very 70's.

DomainSkull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:?: Windows 8 :upset:

:approve: win 7 :smilewinkgrin:

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
people say that every 2nd windows is good.
win98 -> ME -> xp -> VISTA -> win7 -> WIN8

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I went from XP - Windows 7 last year and wasn't disappointed. I might install Windows 8 on my entertainment PC.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I went from XP - Windows 7 last year and wasn't disappointed. I might install Windows 8 on my entertainment PC.
xp to 7 was a great transition. I have one laptop with Vista that I hardly use. Takes so long to boot up. Vista is a gigantic memory hog.

And good observation on the alternating releases. We have had me and vista and they were far from stellar.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
people say that every 2nd windows is good.
win98 -> ME -> xp -> VISTA -> win7 -> WIN8

It is likely a business strategy developed by Microsoft investors (who use IOS). Sell you garbage then force you to upgrade.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Haven't had an issue with XP since they stopped the updates. The problem if there is one will be hardware related. The XP machine is on its last legs.
there is always windows 7. thats what i install on desktop machines.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom