Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Would you buy .tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richjerk321

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would you buy .tv domains? If not, why is that?

Would you buy a domain that has OVER 2 Million Exact searches, but it's a .tv?

Do .tv domains help rank in the search engines for the main keyword, or .tv don't really rank at all?

The main reason for my interest in .tv is because I've found a domain with keywords that are searched MORE than 2 Million Exact times a month.

theoretical

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like the *idea* of .TV but am a bit disappointed in the reality. My biggest issue is ranking. If you don't spend a LOT of time/money on marketing/seo/etc., it'll be difficult to rank for competitive terms. That said, I have a few .tv's but they are reg fee names with non-premium renewal fees and I think they all have a good connection with the extension (such as SpecialEffects.TV), which I think is important. I think it makes a strong "Brand". But buying "bottledwater.tv" really doesn't make much sense to me, for example. If you plan to try to resell the name, you'll likely be disappointed if you are reselling to other domainers as they have all but abandoned the extension. End users still exist, though and at 2 million uniques a month, there should be some end users for the term.
If you pick it up, let us know.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The golden age of .TV has passed.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No. I would not buy .tv.

It reminds me too much of "web tv" where those that did not want or could not afford a computer would put money into providing the web on their TV.

This was several years ago when this gimmick came along. Mom's and Pop's could sit on the couch and hit ebay auctions, QVC, and other auction networks without having to get up. It was as if there was this effort to get computer programs, email, surfing the web all in one place - the television. The reality was (and is) the computer offered a better platform to get all the above AND television.

I have yet to see a successful .tv launch. I was hopeful that Bud.tv would jump start the extension but it appears not to be the case. Now look at the site -

Bud.tv is no longer available
We'd like to thank millions of viewers from over
200 countries for visiting us over the past couple of years.

egdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe that any very strong/catagory killer keywords should be regged in any of the basic exts that can sell if they have been missed. That includes .biz .mobi .us and .tv Must be very selective though. WeightLoss.tv sold on bido.com for xxxx. I had to grab lowestprice.tv when i saw it available. high search volume and attactive for the ext. I also grab stong single word .tv when found. recent snags include calling.tv, cereals.tv, vaccines.tv. My rule of thumb is generally that i should be able to sell it within a year for 2x to 3x reg fee to make it worth the investment. Hope this helps.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The renewal fee is too high. I currently have no .tv's but earlier had one .tv which earned $10/yr on PPC but since the renewal was about $30 at the time I let it drop. If it was a standard tld I would have kept it since it was earning its keep instead of subsidizing it more than $20/yr.

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
New registrations, Renewals, and Transfers are just $16.99/Yr at Domain Monster.

Many registrars including Name.com and Dynadot.com have reduced the price for .TV registrations.

Current Promos:

DomainMonster: $16.99 (Regular pricing: $19.99) - New registrations, Transfers, and Renewals.

NameCheap: $17.99 (Regular pricing: $25) - New registrations

Dynadot: $21.95 (Regular pricing: $34.99) - New registrations

Name.com: $22.95 (Regular pricing: $35) - New registrations

GoDaddy: $24.95 (Regular Pricing: $39.99) - New registrations, Renewals

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Whoever owns m.tv is asking for trouble :D

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whoever owns m.tv is asking for trouble :D

Pointless. :-/

MTV is using MTV.TV.

Regarding TM issues, Music Television owns the rights to use MTV as a TM. It does not have any TMs for just the letter M.

The current owner wont face any legal issues as long as he doesn't use Music Television's brand names or anything related to that.

talas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will buy some .TV if it is premium.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
MTV.TV sounds pointless to me. They already own MTV.com so why not use a beautiful hack like M.TV that'd shorten the name instead? There is already a recent decision with the WIPO for a .me domain where the TLD formed part of the trademark. The complainant won.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like .tv's mostly for development and in general i like the "tv" abrv.
My experience shows that google doesn't let you compete easily with .com's that have the same age but other search engines like yahoo and bing have no problem with it, after having a .tv website for one yr or so then google will start to give you fair ranks.
Loosing traffic from the .com version is acceptable even though in Europe .tv is more well known that in the States so european based .tv domains have better luck.
I m using enom.tv registering my .tv's for almost $25 per yr and i can say i m not having any problems making that money in one yr by 3-4 .tv parked domains that fetch me some low $$$ per month.
You must be carefull with premium .tv's they are hard to monetize, develop or sell unless you are an end user.

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is already a recent decision with the WIPO for a .me domain where the TLD formed part of the trademark. The complainant won.

What is the name?

I did not find any such decisions at WIPO website.

Here is the list of WIPO decisions for .ME CCTLD for the year 2009:
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisionsx/list.jsp?prefix=DME&year=2009&seq_min=1&seq_max=199

Here is the list of WIPO decisions for .ME CCTLD for the year 2008:
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisionsx/list.jsp?prefix=DME&year=2008&seq_min=1&seq_max=199

Unless the TM owner wants to TM the entire domain name like blahblah.com, it is impossible to file a TM for a keyword which contains a part of a keyword as the domain extension. I don't think the respondent lost the domain name just because of a TM which was formed by combining the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators