Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.ws

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lhague

Hi

I have a 3 letter .ws I want to register and put to good use but reading so many threads about .com is king and nothing else is good, feel a bit reluctant so I would appreciate opinions and feelings about .WS, (I said I was going to keep away from registering names!.....I am doing my best not to! so your opinions will help my direction!)

Also, any idea why UK registration sites don't include .ws in their listings to register? ........ is it restricted in some way?

Thanks

:)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lynne, WS is the country-code letters for the South Pacific country Western Samoa. A firm has done a deal with Western Samoa to sell their TLD, and to help push sales it has done a bit of rebranding and tells everyone that WS really stands for WebSite (it doesn't, it still is Western Samoa)..

The reason UK reg firms don't reg WS names is because they're trying to make $$ selling their country's own TLD names. There's big money in selling domain names.

If the domain name you want to develop is a .WS, it will work fine on the Internet, but if you were looking to sell it one day, it would be much harder than selling a .com (which in themselves are hard to sell if it's not a good one).

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
A firm has done a deal with Western Samoa to sell their TLD, and to help push sales it has done a bit of rebranding and tells everyone that WS really stands for WebSite

When it first launched, it was referenced as WorldSite, and claimed it was a new tld to be launched since .com, .net and .org

What a scam.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks mole, maybe I confused WorldSite with WebSite as being what they said the ccTLD stood for.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Na you are right fizz. They changed it to WebSite later.

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something? I thought it was impossible to register 3-letter domain names in .WS.

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can register two and three letter .ws. But only through www.website.ws at premium price like .tv.

D

dkny

yah yah yah.. i checked 3d.ws which is available and i was about to reg it.. what the heck just $70 buck i thought.. but it came out to be $2000/year. so i left it there.. may be elaqua like it.

T

Tiger

how much is a one-word 5 letter .ws domain name worth, if resold?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally .ws has little to no worth.

In any case, no one could ever give a value on a domain based only on how many letters are in the name. It obviously depends on what the word is. Media.com has a vastly different value that Vomit.com for instance.

(Speaking of the latter, the very mention of .ws forces me to supress a gag reflex).

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
well i'd still take .ws and .cc over . biz

Obviously kid, you are not in the right consumer segmentation and therefore this disjoint, disconnect, and dissonance. It happens :D

Check out who owns cnn.biz ;)

L

lhague

....Im not interested in the name for reselling but for developing so Im more interested in its chances with search engine optimisation and the marketing of a .ws, I guess its no different from marketing any other TLD?.... its just when I have done searches on things I never see in the listings .info sites for instance.... so not sure if there is something I dont know about...or maybe there are special search engines for .info's only? .biz as well as the normal search engines we are all familiar with.......

Thanks for all comments so far, quite a mixture of feelings and opinions.......

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhague
[BThanks for all comments so far, quite a mixture of feelings and opinions.......
[/B]

Rule-of-thumb Lynn, ask whether (1) the address is meaningful to your intended content and (2) if registering a Pacific Island cctld is going to send spams of laughter up a boardroom when presented on PowerPoint.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Rule-of-thumb Lynn, ask whether (1) the address is meaningful to your intended content and (2) if registering a Pacific Island cctld is going to send spams of laughter up a boardroom when presented on PowerPoint.

Good points mole, and the second is :laugh:

L

lhague

...thanks for all your help, who can I trust to ask if the name 3 letter name is worth registering?....I really think it is worth it but don't feel expert enough to judge....it is still available..

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I saw a landscaping company truck on the road last week with a .ws domain with TWO dashes in it as well. If I could have remembered the long name, I would have called them and asked them to landscape my property, "and by the way it's in your own back yard here in Western Samoa".

I have a feeling the owner was clueless when they registered a loooooong .ws with two dashes something-something-else.ws.

Nothing wrong with one as a personal site or email address if you can get a short one, but for a US based local business?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
well i'd still take .ws and .cc over . biz

The lesser of 3 evils. . . Tough choice. :evil:

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhague
...thanks for all your help, who can I trust to ask if the name 3 letter name is worth registering?....I really think it is worth it but don't feel expert enough to judge....it is still available..

You can ask me. I would NEVER register it. Iwill give you an honest opinion. :D

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener