Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

yahoo, linkedin dismiss .tel

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningspleen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acro's right - .tel is a bust. After being an early proponent, I passed on the whole thing. Some of the big dot coms dismissed it. Yahoo didn't even want it. The guy who got yahoo.tel will probably get to keep it since the law looks at intentions. Yahoo had the best opportunity to securing yahoo.tel during the sunrise period but said no. Nestle.tel is the only .tel I've seen with real info. Linkedin.com also passed on .tel . . . . now linkedin.tel rails against Obama.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When Telnic asked for $100+ x 3 years from tm holders in order to secure their domains during sunrise, many certainly succumbed. The unpredictability factor lies with large corporations that are not used to toss money around for no purpose; their tm rights are not to be questioned by a registry that happens to ask for a fee 12 times the regular registration fee. So now, LinkedIn and Yahoo will have to go through the WIPO and file a UDRP = more money thrown to litigation.

Also, Telnic denies hoarding .tel keywords for auction purposes, however pizza.tel appears to be available to register, no-one owns it; yet no-one can.

Last edited:

burningspleen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
having to shell out big bucks for a .tel address for brand owners is the cost of keeping a brand. yahoo and linkedin will likely settle with the domain owners. it's faster and cheaper. in the end, someone at yahoo and linkedin dropped the ball provided they change their minds and want these crappy .tel domains. in fairness to the yahoo.tel and linkedin.tel owners, they did nothing wrong. telnic made it look like anyone could get whatever .tel domain if the likely brand owner didn't want it.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Actually no. TM holders were extorted to pay this unreasonable fee to secure this address. That's the same reason why large corporations like Sun and Adobe wrote letters to ICANN opposing the creation of new, open TLDs that would force them to register their trademarks as domains. When I registered acroplex.eu during the sunrise period, I paid the exact same fees as everyone else, not 36 times as much! Telnic is greedy and their modus operandi is not progressive, it's outdated. On the subject of the MySpace promo - good luck with that. MySpace freebie riders paying $20 bucks a year for a white page, when they're used to multimedia galore for free. I am sure if that happens, a few hundred thousand buyers from the 50+ million MySpace users will complain seeking refunds when they realize they can't do squat with these .tel zombies, the way they can do on a single MySpace account.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are many more famous TM being squatted in .tel right now.
Even godaddy did not bother to secure their brand.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Even godaddy did not bother to secure their brand.

Hilarious :D

godaddy.tel is owned by some guy in Brazil :D

BobParsons.tel is currently available LMAO

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But this time it looks like it's not Georg Kohler from Brazil :D

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that if Amazon.tel didn't exist, I'm not sure I would ever find the correct url to the site.

***wipes sweat from brow***

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's a jungle out there :D

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So much money lost to buying tm domains...to think of all those auctions they could've won. hmmm.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When Telnic asked for $100+ x 3 years from tm holders in order to secure their domains during sunrise, many certainly succumbed.
I was not aware of this.

Here is more indication that the TM holders have a case. These names should be awarded, not ransomed at any cost.

onlinetv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When Telnic asked for $100+ x 3 years from tm holders in order to secure their domains during sunrise, many certainly succumbed. The unpredictability factor lies with large corporations that are not used to toss money around for no purpose; their tm rights are not to be questioned by a registry that happens to ask for a fee 12 times the regular registration fee. So now, LinkedIn and Yahoo will have to go through the WIPO and file a UDRP = more money thrown to litigation.

Also, Telnic denies hoarding .tel keywords for auction purposes, however pizza.tel appears to be available to register, no-one owns it; yet no-one can.

Perhaps paying friends at WIPO and their lawyers is more profitable for them than paying these idiots? I would think they know no one is stupid enough to do something with the domains and a .tel gives new meaning to the word worthless. Worthless parked and worth even less trying to gain on someone’s trademark - that will cost whomever gets into that pit. What idiot would buy google.tel and try some informational mobil thing? Worse a listing of numbers for google! It is cheaper for google to acquire that domain against the infringer as in the end the infringer will pay for the domain, legal costs and give them some money for investing. A win for the trademark holders. The other case is paying stupid fees to idiot like blackmailers. I agree with Doc Com they should be awarded and would help establish the things if used.

Now Pizza.tel gives you an idea what the game is all about. Great one for .tel too. Pizza is generic and impossible to trademark. Perfect. Now if you know the history of ICANN - bunch of private pirates who take government funded projects into private profits - you understand their goals. They are only trying to get a bigger slice of the pie. Think how burned they feel about giving pizza.com for reg fees? People made billions and they got reg fees. Now their idea is to get what you will pay if you want your name. The .tv model I think?

You know what? Only the .com offers you the ability to type a name into a browser address bar, without the extension, hit ctrl + return and get to the .com website. Just type "pizza" or "onlinetv" no www, no .com and ctrl+return and you are there. At the top. Dot Com. There is a hierarchy which .tel comes after all the other garbage that must be marketed to have value. .com will be commanding top dollar for a long time followed by .net not .tel. The entire mindset of the Internet would have to change and that takes a lot of money and a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom