Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Toby Clements Scammer Still In Business? Not Paid In Full For The Domain Sold In December!

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We sold a domain via Toby Clement's newsletter in December and we only get paid partially so far. For the remaining amount, we haven't received the payment yet. He said he would pay the remaining amount in installments since few weeks ago and no payment so far. Sent multiple emails and some got replied and most unanswered.

We used his escrow service and we should have used Escrow.com etc....

Have you been experiencing similar problems?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The buyer normally pay in full, why you're receiving an installment?

The last time I received his newsletter is March 10.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The buyer normally pay in full, why you're receiving an installment?

The last time I received his newsletter is March 10.
Yes believe the buyer paid in full. But somehow he might have used the funds for someone else. We made mistake not to use Escrow.com.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Installments sound worse than a delayed payment in full with the usual excuses.

He once sold a name on my behalf but I didn't expect that it would take months to get the money. I was looking to finance the purchase of another domain thru the sale. Had I known things would take so long - I wouldn't have tried that route in the first place. It's always good to have the money but preferably before you no longer need it.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Toby wanted me to sell one of my domain for pennies, I told him Fawk off. He will buy your domain or want you to sell for pennnies. So I stay away from him.

Last time, I heard about him was he was on fundraiser website , try to raise 40k, for his next project from donations. What really gets me surprised is that he is in business for many years, and he has not been able to save 40k to fund his own project.

Anyhow, what I think he used your money to fund his project may be, once that project takes off, you will be paid in full......hahahaha. (j/k), dont know, but I would not do business with him.

Best brokers in town

Domainholdings
andrew

(so far what I used to sell names)

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he f'ed up someone's money before and he is using new sales to pay back old money he owes, so it appears the sales are not coming in fast enough to play everyone back in time.

Because, I don't see what the problem is with him going Escrow as the broker... Something is not right....

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He is a well-established domain broker as most know in the industry.
Many people have said it takes months to get paid with him, even years ago (that is not new).
Installments sounds very odd, was a reason given for this or is it something you agreed to before the sale?

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He is a well-established domain broker as most know in the industry.
Many people have said it takes months to get paid with him, even years ago (that is not new).
Installments sounds very odd, was a reason given for this or is it something you agreed to before the sale?

Well-established domain broker - I disagree,

well-known broker - I agree but not well-established

I have sold domains through well-established, their response is quicker, and they come up with explanation, and they do not put their reputation on the line by not replying :)

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well-known broker - I agree but not well-established

A matter of semantics here..
Established as in well-known and has been in business for many years with a newsletter and name most have heard of.
Established does not necessarily mean all stellar reviews though.

I hope you get your money, but honestly installments does not sound good if installments wasn't something you already agreed to before the sale. Do you have a contract that states how and when payment to you will be made?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Next time use MediaOptions.com owned by Andrew Rosener, he is 100% trustworthy and one of the best in the business if you have the BEST domains. Tell him Chris sent ya! :cool:

As for payments in installments and all that non-sense and money owed for months on end and no response to emails, well I think that answer is pretty obvious. People cannot send what they don't have and someone at the end of that chain always gets burned and ends up chasing their money. I would act now legally and pursue a documented demand for the proceeds before too much time passes. The longer you wait the less likely it is you are going to get paid in any type of delayed performance scenario. Sounds like a breach of contract to me honestly, and it seems multiple people are having these issues. Never a good sign! Good luck..

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do know that when he ran the auction with Latona at Traffic in Vancouver.... people never were paid and some were told to take 20% on the dollar or get nothing.

It was right about then that Latona took a hiatus. ;)

Latona was in charge but Toby was working for him then.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I heard that Latona has been in trouble and he has fallen out with the State of Georgia too.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom