Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

where did all the lowballers come from?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i want to talk about why there are so many lowballers here and where did they come from

i saw my previous thread were some of you said to post a minimum and that will prevent the lowball post

maybe, but i don't think that won't stop it

reason for bringing up this subject is i get plenty of emails from domainers who "offer" much higher amounts on some domains, that these lowballers here do.

for instance, i have a few nnnn.coms

a couple of members here did make offers in low $$$$ and all of the emails i got so far for those domains were in high $$$ to low $$$$

but the majority of offers from members here were in low to mid $$$ range

even for 3 character .com domains, members here are posting $1XX offers and the last 3 character i sold was on np for $250 and the domains had a 0 in the middle.

before np imo, was the lowballers heaven, now dnf seems to be taking that honor

so if you can hold out and resist the urge or need to sell for lower than what you paid....then by all means try to do so

as that is one way to defeat the lowballers

NOTE: if you post in this thread, please try to stay on subject so it won't get closed for going off-topic.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Posting the range doesn't stop them. I just ignore any PM offers that is below the posted range.
Precisely. Its like, low is not low enough for all the lowballers.

Plus they do not read.

I have a thread going on the specifically outlines where the domains are, I will do push only, each name is (was) 35 dollars, NO PM's, NO OFFERS.

Yet, the PM's come pouring in with offers and telling me where they want the name transferred to.

The only decent sale/offer I have seen here on DNF was the bogus murder dot net.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you put minimum range, it would reduce most of the low offers.

Here most of the people are resellers who like to get domains at reseller range where they could liquidate them quickly if needed and wouldn't pay you end user offers. It would be rare to have received end user prices here. Also a domain would be worth much differently to different domain resellers. Even Rick Schwartz advises to buy domains at wholesale or BARGAIN prices.

Last edited:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i agree with big, dnf has become lowball city

posting a range doesnt deter
spam and lowball pms too

tend to take a familiar pattern
either gold or new platinum with few posts
also country of origin is not from dnf old school

by that i mean dnf old school countries tend to be US, UK (Ireland Wales, Scotland too of course), Germany, Scandinavia, China, Italy, France, Spain, Canada, Oz, NZ
few others for original members (sorry if I missed your country out)

lots of lowballers from Russia,Middle East, Asia and Eastern Europe

most lowballers tend to have weird and wonderful names :smilewinkgrin:
maybe there's a domain gang post in this? :smilewinkgrin:

maybe best policy is if getting ridiculous lowballs, put that member on ignore and have disclaimer in signature
'if you are on my ignore list i can't see you, so sorry if you're bidding, it won't count :smilewinkgrin:'

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, what james2002 said. If you want better offers you have to extend beyond the forums or post a minimum. But most people here are looking for deals which I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just be sure to make clear what you consider an acceptable minimum offer.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buy at BARGAIN prices.

i have no problem with buying at bargain prices

but, what really is a bargain

if you buy a nnnn.com for $1500 now and hold it a few years and sell for $10k later, wasn't that a bargain too

and when you see a good name selling for a really low price and you figure it's a bargain....sometimes it can be a stolen domain

i think many of the lowball offers show a subtle sign of disrespect for whoever offers it for sale

they may figure the seller is desperate or is ignorant about the current or potential value of the domain.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, what james2002 said. If you want better offers you have to extend beyond the forums or post a minimum. But most people here are looking for deals which I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just be sure to make clear what you consider an acceptable minimum offer.

Yes, exactly. I would say putting a minumum offer range would prevent around 75% to 90 % of low offers. If they do offer low prices, the mods would deal with it or you could request to remove those offers.

I have spend mid to high xx,xxx on domains just over past few weeks and I clearly state to the sellers that I am reseller and no way I would pay end user prices. I have to leave margin to make money. We, aren't here to give away money.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a serious problem/quandry about what constitutes a 'low-ball' offer. Several years ago I was offered $20 for a domain here on DNF by a long standing and respected member, the domain I felt was worth considerably more and replied such. It transpired that the offerer argued that the domain could not be worth more because it had just been hand-regged and I would show a decent percentage profit on my $7 registration fee! So let us not kid ourselves that low-balling is something new and only associated with new members.

I just reply to low-ball offers either stating that I will not sell at the offered price or that I will wait until a realistic price is achieved.

One thing is for certain though and that is the forums are a great place to initiate interest from those who are non-members and make offers via email, so it seems to me that it is well worthwhile not stating a minimum and putting up with the 'lowballers', hopefully by doing this you will acquire more wholesome offers and indeed some even higher than what you may have figured a domain to be worth.

Just my 2 cents (and most people seem to think that is double what most of my domains are worth :lol:).

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Offer is just an offer, it's like an invitation for a dance.
U can pretend u r the prettiest princess around and sit on your fat butt, or u can get up and dance

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm all for dancing, but if you try to waltz with me I'll probably step on your toes :D

Lowballing is the safe placement of offers when you know the buyer won't ever accept. It's like playing Mr. Smartass.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If your not hard up to sell, the easy solution would be to include "Price is Firm" or Price is NON-NEGOTIABLE" in the sales thread.

But that could result in losing potential buyers who are willing to pay slightly less, A slightly less amount you just might consider.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lowballing is the safe placement of offers when you know the buyer won't ever accept.

That's my observation as well Theo, especially from reading the sales threads over the years here

i know some may mean well with the "i'll get you started offers" but then there are those who only post offers that they know the buyer won't accept

kinda like a self-promo thing, as in "hey look, i'm a bidder too" or maybe they just wanna add to their post count.

dn-101 said:
Offer is just an offer, it's like an invitation for a dance.
U can pretend u r the prettiest princess around and sit on your fat butt, or u can get up and dance

hah, that's funny

but...

if you approach me to dance and your breath stinks or your shoes are run over to the side and your outfit is wrinkled, it shows you don't have time or money for maintenance.....so their will be no dance with me.

:)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you approach me to dance and your breath stinks or your shoes are run over to the side and your outfit is wrinkled, it shows you don't have time or money for maintenance.....so their will be no dance with me.
:)

I think you are using the wrong analogy. Let's say you are a high dollar hooker and some guy offers you $5.

Just kidding.

But it's the same as a lot of buyers joining up at an auction house bidding on a work of art. Everybody there is a reseller of art and they just want to maximize their return. Nothing wrong with that.

But you can't necessarily do anything about the mindless lowball offers except turn them down.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are using the wrong analogy. Let's say you are a high dollar hooker and some guy offers you $5

Making $5 is better than making nothing at all ;)

... and if she is only offered $5 she is on the wrong street corner or didn't state her minimum price.

I tend to put out decent first offers if I want the name, if I am not really interested I won't bid.

Most should employ the same strategy.

-=DCG=-

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tend to put out decent first offers if I want the name, if I am not really interested I won't bid.

Most should employ the same strategy.

-=DCG=-

now that would be the ideal situation

make an initial offer that you feel comfortable with and while also considering what the buyer will accept.

a decent offer puts the seller in a better frame of mind to negotiate

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators