• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

¨Wanted names¨ starter threads posters are mostly scammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one I have not seen before: A dnf member sent me a PM a week ago with a long list of domains that came pretty close to what I requested in a "Wanted"-thread. I replied the same day and asked for a price on some of those domains. I got no answer so I sent a reminder today and got the following answer:

These are no longer for sale...

Is that a normal way of doing business? Don't offer me your names if you decide you don't want to sell them!
 
I think Mods need to spend a little more time the enforcing the rules in that section... Even the Mods that post names there don't follow the rules sometimes... A particular mod posted some names there the other day without a price when the poster specifically asked for the price...

And on the flip side people have got to stop posting crap domains that have nothing to do with the posters request...
 
Glad someone posted this, cheers to a nice Cold Gin! :ok:
 
Well, I have been using wanted to look for names for my clients or my own projects. Most of the time, I received irrelevant names or if the asking price is too high. Basically I only reply PM to those names that I am interested in.

As for answering the wanted thread or PM, I don't expect them to reply unless they are interested in my domains.

I don't think there is much you can do to control this. I think if the process annoys you, the best solution is simply not use it. :)
 
I am like Varchar, I only respond by PM to the names I am interested in, too time consuming otherwise because so many members just spam you with whatever domains they are trying to sell.
 
I am like Varchar, I only respond by PM to the names I am interested in, too time consuming otherwise because so many members just spam you with whatever domains they are trying to sell.


Correct. If you post a "Domain Wanted" ad, you should say, "I will only reply if interested." Personally, why would I want to receive a PM to say, "sorry, i'm not interested?" I don't. It's a waste of time.

90% (in my opinion) of the "Domains Wanted" ads are feelers looking for incredible deals. They usually want to pick up a $10,000+ name for $xxx, or low $x,xxx.

If you don't post your budget, I will not submit a domain. I understand, it's mostly people looking for deals, and not end users, so, most of the time, this is not the place to sell your domain, if you are looking to get market value.
 
One thing the doman wanted section does it let you know the kinds of names that are in demand. For example, from scanning through the wanted posts you can see that LLL.com, NNN.com, traffic domains, video or cam domains are requested fairly often. These might be obvious examples but you do get a sense of what kind of domains can sell, and get some ideas of names to reg.
 
I also like that section, however, like most of you said, it definatel;y needs improvements.
Especially in the buyers beeing more specific in what they are looking for, and BUDGET.

I also get the distinctive feeling that *some* (not all) posters there are really looking for ideas so they can perhaps register something similar if possible.
That is why many times, I do not participate in some threads that I know I have many suitable names.
 
I also like that section, however, like most of you said, it definatel;y needs improvements.
Especially in the buyers beeing more specific in what they are looking for, and BUDGET.

Disagree, I value every domain individually although I try to indicate price ranges if I can.
Furethermore, if you really want to sell you should have an idea of how much you want for your domain, regardless of budget.
 
I am not sure we are on the same page here.
I am saying when someone is looking to buy a domain, it would be helpful if they indicated wether they want a domain for a low $xxx price or so, or a mid $xxxx or higher.
otherwise, it is a waste of time for the sellers to start listing domains when we have no idea what the price range is.
 
I've posted in the wanted section and was a waste of time for me. Many Pm's with nothing but junk, people trying to offload worthless domains for high dollars.
 
Some sort of "cleanup" is absolutely necessary IMHO! The five day limit sounds like a good start but I would recommend seven. Members would then have to view that section at least once during any given week before the earlier threads are automatically removed.
 
the reason you get posts with no budget, and answers with names that are worthless, is because the area is not monitered correctly.
dn forum is one of the few places that have a domains wanted- a few other places have it- but not many- and, this forum is gonna watch it deteriorate and it cant- because it is a needed venue for buyers and sellers.

if you read the wanted ads- over 80 % of them give you very little information and details on what they want- so if your posting and excluding details- then dont complain about getting crap in your pm.

you are ALWAYS going to get some crap, because there are those that just shove their names in your face no matter what. now, if you ask for posted names, not pm, and the mods are watching, they should be nabbing those who are posting the wrong info-

i have made several sales in there- and find it to be a great resource- if used right.



i would love to moderate this one board- just this one- because i think it needs alot of attention to keep it on track and keep it a professional board we can all use.

how about it mods- how does one request to moderate a board?
 
Smashfactory,

The form you need to fill out to become a moderator is here:
http://www.dnforum.com/newthread.php?do=modapp

That's true, having a moderator can only improve the quality of this section.

I am sure DNForum need more motivated and experienced volunteers like you.

So action!

...
 
That section needs a LOT of work...... I very rarely visit it; it's bad on both ends...... no-one buys anything (think I've only ever sold one name through there & that was to DCG all the time I've been a member here), yet they seem to be "wanting" these names so much..... no-one reads what the buyer is looking for & posts crappola & you have nitwits bumping up 3 year old threads. :upset:
 
I've probably posted for wanted domains about 4 times in a couple years. of which I've bought 15 or so. Often alot of real crap gets offered and its real hard to politely reply, but I try. It's usually just a matter of opinion. Sometimes I'll even be offered a name regged minutes before and thats cool too if its nice.. i dont mind paying for its creative content.
 
well, i filled out the "app" to moderate that section- i would love to do that :-)

i do that alot- buy domains on the spot and offer them up to someone who just posted- in fact i do it 95% of the time!
unless someone asks for aged names- then i do what i can to come up with a name they were looking for-
and people DO buy from there because i have made a couple of sales in there- names JUST regged.

i view it as getting paid for the service of getting a customer what he wanted- yes, he could have regged it for 9 bucks- but he didnt, he posted.
and, i have gotten some nice names for my portfolio that way for those who are not interested.

its harder to read a buyer than you think- who cares if it was regged last year or an hour ago if you do not need the backlinks- just a great name? i do try to get whet they are looking for- i am sure i come up with some crap too :-)



i went off on a tangent here :-)
 
theres nothing wrong with decent recent names.. trends change and new types of names are wanted. and I'll pay for a new name so long as its what i need. I've done well with those situations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom