Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

1 and 2 letter .de names to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you guys think its worth bidding for these at sedo?

Domain Summit 2024

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From everything I've read, they can't pre-register. Nobody can. I think they're just allowing bidding so that if they do by chance get any of the domains they have listed, whoever the winning bidder was has to pay up. In this instance, Sedo is basically the same as an individual person attempting to register one of these domains when they become available, except that they'll have a better chance because instead of one person trying to register it, they'll be able to have all of their registrar partners try to register it on behalf of that one person (the winning bidder). However, they're still submitting the registration request just like everyone else, they don't have the option to submit pre-registrations.

It's a win-win for both Sedo and their registrar partners. Let's say they manage to register tv.de for the standard registration fee. Sedo and their registrar partner will profit the winning bid (currently 36,000 euros) minus the actual registration fee. If they don't get the domain, the user gets their money back (as far as I know). There's no risk whatsoever on their part, but they could potentially make a HUGE sum of money from people bidding through their site if they're able to secure some of the domains.

In short, you're bidding for a slightly higher chance at getting the domain then you would on your own, since based on the sheer numbers they will have a better chance at registering it.

It's a total cash grab, but it's not like they're doing anything 'wrong'. If someone wants to pay a premium to have a better chance at getting the domain, then they better be willing to buck up.

from the email that .tv posted from DD24, it says that they are accepting pre-registrations. the registrar i emailed indicated this as well.

therefore, pre-registrations are accepted. my argument is, if sedo hasnt yet submitted any pre-registrations, than the likelyhood that they have a greater chance of securing the top names is null. why, because all the top names would have already had pre-registrations submitted across all the registrars. therefore, what they are doing is just collecting massive bids in order to secure the immediate aftermarket sale from the winning registrant

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
from the email that .tv posted from DD24, it says that they are accepting pre-registrations. the registrar i emailed indicated this as well. therefore, pre-registrations are accepted.

I don't believe Sedo or the other registrars CAN submit pre-registrations to DENIC though. When they talk about pre-registrations they're tallking about pre-registrations with THEM, not DENIC. They're going to be fighting to get their registration requests in just like everyone else once the gates open. Hell, I could accept pre-registrations if I wanted to, it doesn't mean I've got a better shot at getting any of these domains then any other individual does.

therefore, what they are doing is just collecting massive bids in order to secure the immediate aftermarket sale from the winning registrant

Bingo!

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Sedo or the other registrars CAN submit pre-registrations to DENIC though. When they talk about pre-registrations they're tallking about pre-registrations with THEM, not DENIC. They're going to be fighting to get their registration requests in just like everyone else once the gates open. Hell, I could accept pre-registrations if I wanted to, it doesn't mean I've got a better shot at getting any of these domains then any other individual does.

Correct, that is not different than what i am saying though.

here's the way i see it working. Sedo has pre-bid auctions for the names. whoever wins the auction at Sedo, gets to be the first in line for Sedo submitting their registration application out to their affiliated registrars. (meaning when the registration window opens, that applicants registration is the one that gets immediately pinged to Denic to try to register the domain)

what i'm saying is, only one person per registrar can be at the front of the line for when that registration window opens. if Sedo doesnt have a pre-registration application submitted for any domain with the registrar yet, then there's no way that the winning bidders application they submit can be first in line. those pre-registrations for the top domains are all long taken.

its like for other new extension landrushes, if you've ever followed one, take domainmonster as an example registrar. you can register a pre-application there, and once the fist person registers a pre-registration for any domain, thats it, there cant be multiple pre-registrations for the same domain at the same registrar.

demaxxus

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HomerJ, I think we're totally on the same page here, lol. I just completely spaced on the question about pre-registrations, and then responded based on my misunderstanding.

When someone asked about pre-registrations earlier I was thinking about the Sedo->DENIC pre-registrations, which don't exist, but yes, the Sedo->Registrar Partner registrations were probably submitted as soon as they possibly could after DENIC's announcement.

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
are .de domains only limited to german residents? would we register losing it if buying from outside of country

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
are .de domains only limited to german residents? would we register losing it if buying from outside of country

There will be no problems as long as you have an (admin-c) administrative contact for your .de name(s) from Germany. A few registrars including Moniker, provide this service for free of charge.

Do you have to pay sedo auction price+29,750 EUR if you win 1letter .de?

DD24 is a separate entity, and it is not linked with the auction which is being conducted by Sedo.

This is what I inferred regarding the release of .DE 1, 2 & 3 character domain names:

1. DENic is going to release 1, 2 & 3 character domain names.

2. It'll be an open registration event, i.e First come First Served.

3. Domain registrars and auction marketplaces like Sedo are just conducting auctions without having the names in hand.

4. Various domain registrars and auction marketplaces like Sedo will try to register the domain names from the moment when the registry opens the names for registration.

5. Everyone has equal opportunity to obtain names, but every registrar has powerful APIs to grab the names quickly.

6. Sedo has announced a pre-auction for those domains in conjunction with a number of unnamed registrar partners. The terms and conditions of the auction warrent a closer look.

7. Sedo is still looking for registrars to participate, as per a post of the Xing networking site by Sedo’s CEO Tim Schumacher, which states that registrars interested in participating should contact him.

8. In addition to all of this, insiders of the .DE namespace are expecting to see injunctions and cease and decist orders to be sent to DENIC early next week by many trademark owners who will try to prevent the release of domain names similar to their brands.

9. Other registrars such as DomainFACTORY.de will charge a 25 Euro fee no matter if the registration is succesful or not. On top of that the customer has to place a bid to be on top of the queue. The additional money the company will earn will be donated to charity.

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i wish a knowledgeable Sedo rep would step in and simply clarify all this for all of us, we should PM one of them, there's SedoCoUK, SedoGmbH, SedoHelp + others...this is most concerning, i guess i shouldn't touch any name there, hopefully i'll know more by 12 P EDT tomorrow, i find these 2 excerpts below particularly concerning, that we might be in for a pre-determined renewal rate, i wonder where in their announcement that would be featured, there's a press release by Nic.DE (SedoCoUK's post has a link to the page on Sedo which in turn leads to yet another link) but what i did read does not answer any of this ...

http://www.dnforum.com/f490/special...sed-de-domains-thread-391705.html#post1800882

and yeah, if they can't "secure" the name for a Sedo pre-regger (they'll take the winning bid to make just one official bid/offer, Sedo gets only one shot per name from what i see), i never thought there could be a problem getting a 100% refund, but what if there is, interesting thread, what you all said here, we shouldn't have to be asking ourselves all this, i wish Sedo/Nic.DE had been much clearer, good luck to those of us who'll be doing pre-regs n these unchartered waters....

demaxxus :

...If you don't get the domain, they'll contact the current registrant and try to buy it for you using your winning bid. And if the current registrant doesn't want to sell it, do you get a full refund? A partial refund ?...

coward :

..does anyone have any further information on the renewal fees for these names? There's rumours floating around that they'll be subject to a "premium" renewal fee (in the $xx,xxx range)...

Last edited:

netfleet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Antone know if it's possible to export a full list of the names on SEDO up for pre-auction AND their current bid prices? PLEASE :)

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DD24 no longer accepting pre-orders for 1 character. Presumably because they've got all of them covered.

That's over 1 million euro's in commitments just for 1 char (36 x 30,000)

I think it will be 40 x 30,000 if we include these umlauts: ä, ë, ö, ü.

netfleet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it will be 40 x 30,000 if we include these umlauts: ä, ë, ö, ü.

Yes of course. There's a lot of money flying around. Sedo already have well over 1m Euro's bidded and the auctions far from finishing (not used to Sedo but I expect there would be a flurry of bidding last few minutes with a potential to increase total bids many times over?)

Plus there's all the 'silent auctions' that registrars are doing behind the scenes.

DENIC are crazy not to have tried to bag some of the action. Some registrars & Sedo, no doubt, are going to have an absolute bonanza!

netfleet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still cant believe DENIc didnt auction these babies off :lol:

Missing out on millions of dollars :rolleyes:

Total bids on Sedo just for first 1,000 auctions up to 1.4 million Euro... 5 hours 30mins to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom