Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

1 word .net? Opinions?

donkon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the worth range for one word .net?
Are they sought after if the word is good?

jdwaverly

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all depends on which word. Words which have business application are very valuable.

mobile.net Sold for $500,000 in 2014
return.net Sold for $1500 last week
adaptation.net Sold for $174 in 2015

And others could sell for less or more.
You need to check word popularity (Google searches), Adwords CPM and comparable domain keyword sales history to get a rough idea.

Last edited:

donkon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you, now I understand. Are other tlds similar or does it significantly drop off in value after .org?

jdwaverly

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are no hard and fast rules about valuation. However, in general, for business related terms, the dotcom version
will be the most valuable and is usually already registered. Non-profits are the preferred customer for dotorg and will usually not pay as much as a business will for dotcoms. Dotnets fall somewhere in between. But again, these are only generalizations as a recent hi-value sale of mortgage.org to a bank illustrates.

The most important rule to remember is that "a domain is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it"
Appraisals are just "an opinion" of what the domain market is paying, at the moment, for "similar" names.
That doesn't mean that you will find a buyer willing to pay that amount in the next month, or the next year.
Likewise, it doesn't mean that you won't find a buyer willing to pay 10 times that amount today!

Here are some domains sales that "break the rules' to illustrate my point:

sexe.org 151,400 USD 2008-06-17
playgroundequipment.info 10,000 USD 2010-09-23
tennesseeanytime.org 16,865 USD 2013-11-13

I do my own appraisals for 2 reasons:

(1)To help decide how much I should pay for a domain, to give me a good chance of making a profit when I sell it.

(2)To help decide whether I should sell a domain when someone makes me an offer.

Note that I said "help decide". My appraisal is ONLY one of my criteria. Others include my assessment of the buyer or seller, my individual interest in the domain, my financial situation, etc.

Last edited:

donkon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are no hard and fast rules about valuation. However, in general, for business related terms, the dotcom version
will be the most valuable and is usually already registered. Non-profits are the preferred customer for dotorg and will usually not pay as much as a business will for dotcoms. Dotnets fall somewhere in between. But again, these are only generalizations as a recent hi-value sale of mortgage.org to a bank illustrates.

The most important rule to remember is that "a domain is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it"
Appraisals are just "an opinion" of what the domain market is paying at the moment for "similar" names.
That doesn't mean that you will find a buyer willing to pay that amount in the next month or the next year.
Likewise, it doesn't mean that you won't find a buyer willing to pay 10 times that amount today!

Here are some domains sales that "break the rules' to illustrate my point:

sexe.org 151,400 USD 2008-06-17
playgroundequipment.info 10,000 USD 2010-09-23
tennesseeanytime.org 16,865 USD 2013-11-13

I do my own appraisals for 2 reasons:

(1)To help decide how much I should pay for a domain to give me a good chance of making a profit when I sell it.

(2)To help decide whether I should sell a domain when someone makes me an offer.

Note that I said "help decide". My appraisal is ONLY one of my criteria. Others include my assessment of the buyer or seller, my individual interest in the domain, my financial situation, etc.

Thank you. I've always been a .com only kinda guy, but lately I've seen some nice 1 word .net's show up at different online avenues. I guess I will stick to my .com judgment and only go for .net if it really is a very good domain in my mind. The sexe.org and tennesseeanytime.org are the most confusing to me but like you said, everyone has different values in domains. I have to say I also appreciate your very thorough response. It was a good read. If possible can you tell me your process of appraising a domain before purchase or tools you use? If not here then in PM if you want. Thanks again

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators