Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

14,000+ Uniques per DAY, 404 Error Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
FP1 said:
The traffic is genuine unique visitors.

"Genuine".

I would argue this all day.

I hope you did not pay big bucks for this name from the previous person who was trying to pedal it.

-Bob

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
Uh-huh. I did research on this about 4 weeks ago. I really don't think there is a way to convert any traffic. There are no pages being displayed. Computers that are infected with the virus communicate the the domain via an HTTP Post to a specific file on the server. The server recorded whatever details it was supposed to, and that was the end of the communication.

This file on the server will obviously not output anything to the infected computer.

-Bob

Well - None of the creators files are on the server obviously, so it can be simply 404 redirected to an index.html. Leaving all traffic the same. This would be the same for any "infected traffic" that may exist.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FP1 said:
Well - None of the creators files are on the server obviously, so it can be simply 404 redirected to an index.html. Leaving all traffic the same. This would be the same for any "infected traffic" that may exist.

What URL was being pulled when you had it directed to your servers? or can the person who was testing it out for a while let us know if anything other than update.php was being requested and the user agents?

lindmar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wish I understood all of this

Plain English
1) IS it real traffic or not?

2) Can it be converted into cash by setting up a sedo/google site?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
FP1 said:

Nope - won't work. Trust me on this one.

1) The virus is in an infected machine.
2) The infected machine makes an HTTP post to the server with the confidential information on the victims machine. This is done in the background without any knowledge of the victim. If the file on the server does NOT exist, then YES, the virus will get a 404 redirct. However, the process is STILL done in the background. The end user STILL WILL NOT see anything.

How can you call these GENUINE Unique visitors when there is no chance that they will even see a page, let alone convert?

Again - I hope you did not pay a lot for htis name from the previous person who was trying to pedal it around here.

-Bob

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
What URL was being pulled when you had it directed to your servers? or can the person who was testing it out for a while let us know if anything other than update.php was being requested and the user agents?

It's unethical to post this information on a public forum. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about this Trojan knows that there are holes where the victims could be victimized MORE if this information got out. Those who feel they are responsible enough to handle this information, feel free to PM me and I will make the final call who gets it and who doesn't since it's now my responsibility to make sure this is not mishandled - since I own the domain.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
lindmar said:
I wish I understoof all of this

Plain English

1) NO
2) NO

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
Nope - won't work. Trust me on this one.

1) The virus is in an infected machine.
2) The infected machine makes an HTTP post to the server with the confidential information on the victims machine. This is done in the background without any knowledge of the victim. If the file on the server does NOT exist, then YES, the virus will get a 404 redirct. However, the process is STILL done in the background. The end user STILL WILL NOT see anything.

How can you call these GENUINE Unique visitors when there is no chance that they will even see a page, let alone convert?

-Bob

Last I checked this is a sales thread, not the debate club. I'm glad you honor my request for communication via PM, don't you think I have a reason for privacy, since this is a TROJAN domain...

Like I said, I have all the information available for those who are interested in the domain I am representing. The information I have is true and accurate, I'd vogue for this all day long. If you want PROOF, send the PM. If you want to blow smoke and raise your post count, do it somewhere else!

I wish I understood all of this

Plain English
Yes.

lindmar said:
Short answer: No. Sedo and google won't monetize the traffic very good, the CTR is too low. You need a service such as www.trafficz.com who pays $3 per 1000 uniques.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
FP1 said:
It's unethical to post this information on a public forum. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about this Trojan knows that there are holes where the victims could be victimized MORE if this information got out. Those who feel they are responsible enough to handle this information, feel free to PM me and I will make the final call who gets it and who doesn't since it's now my responsibility to make sure this is not mishandled - since I own the domain.

Anybody who know anything about this would be a FOOL to attempt anything like this. Anybody with ANY PHP knowledge can write something in about 5 minutes. You would wind up in jail with the original virus creator.

I hope you did not pay a lot from the previous owner who was trying to pedal it here at DNF.

-bob

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FP1 said:
It's unethical to post this information on a public forum. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about this Trojan knows that there are holes where the victims could be victimized MORE if this information got out.

The anti virus people let that cat out of the bag months ago when they first discovered and reported the virus (02/02/2004). Chances are whoever is still infected will be infected with a lot of different things already. They should get some anti-virus software. I am merely interested in the traffic, is the majority to that page or not? If it is then the traffic is not worth anything to me, even if you 404 straight to a CPM program it wont' work very well and you will be banned from the program.

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
Anybody who know anything about this would be a FOOL to attempt anything like this. Anybody with ANY PHP knowledge can write something in about 5 minutes. You would wind up in jail with the original virus creator.

I hope you did not pay a lot from the previous owner who was trying to pedal it here at DNF.

-bob

So now your calling me a fool?

I don't disclose my financials, thanks.

lindmar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with FP1, Im in the middle of another transaction with him and he seems like a standup guy that wouldnt do anything unethical. So I suggest PM'ing him too. I was just interested in this.

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
The anti virus people let that cat out of the bag months ago when they first discovered and reported the virus (02/02/2004). Chances are whoever is still infected will be infected with a lot of different things already. They should get some anti-virus software. I am merely interested in the traffic, is the majority to that page or not? If it is then the traffic is not worth anything to me, even if you 404 straight to a CPM program it wont' work very well and you will be banned from the program.

All the traffic is not "infected traffic" , Trafficz loves this domain. Feel free to PM me for further details about Trafficz approval of it.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
FP1 said:
Last I checked this is a sales thread, not the debate club. I'm glad you honor my request for communication via PM, don't you think I have a reason for privacy, since this is a TROJAN domain...

Like I said, I have all the information available for those who are interested in the domain I am representing. The information I have is true and accurate, I'd vogue for this all day long. If you want PROOF, send the PM. If you want to blow smoke and raise your post count, do it somewhere else!

I am trying to save somebody from spending more than "Mid $XXXX" on an name that will NEVER convert anything. Your information is VERY misleading.

Trying to raise mypost count? That sounds like a shot from a high-school teenager who is on the defensive. I have 2700+ posts. Why would I want to raise my post count?

Lastly I am one of the most respected members on the forum. I don't get into these discussions unless I think somebody will be taken advantage of.. and I see this as one of those situations.

-Bob

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
I am trying to save somebody from spending more than "Mid $XXXX" on an name that will NEVER convert anything. Your information is VERY misleading.

That's incorrect. You are WRONG. Why don't you get that through your head?

Bob said:
Trying to raise mypost count? That sounds like a shot from a high-school teenager who is on the defensive. I have 2700+ posts. Why would I want to raise my post count?

It's called "blowing smoke" you are turning a sales thread into a debate. I've said it multiple times, if people want details they can contact me privately. They can use their own judgement, as many have and will stand behind their offers. If they wanted to go to a debate, they wouldn't have came to my sale thread that you are trying to ruin for god knows what reason.

Bob said:
Lastly I am one of the most respected members on the forum. I don't get into these discussions unless I think somebody will be taken advantage of.. and I see this as one of those situations.
-Bob

Looks like you made a bad judgement call. Don't have anything more productive to do than attack my thread, call me names and tell people not to buy my domain?

toscawan

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a domain that recieved 2000+ uniques per day as a result from a virus pointing to a subdomain. I didn't realise until Fabulous, and then SEDO sent me an e-mail asking me to remove the domain from my account with them telling me the traffic was resulting from a virus.
I always wondered why the uniques were so high, but i did not even get a single click -through!! :). DomainHop started to pay for the uniques, but then stopped once there were no clicks.
Sounds exactly the same to me.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
FP1 said:
Looks like you made a bad judgement call.

Your opinion.

FP1 said:
Don't have anything more productive to do than attack my thread, call me names and tell people not to buy my domain?

I have expressed my 2 cents. I will refrain from further comments.

-Bob

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
toscawan said:
I had a domain that recieved 2000+ uniques per day as a result from a virus pointing to a subdomain. I didn't realise until Fabulous, and then SEDO sent me an e-mail asking me to remove the domain from my account with them telling me the traffic was resulting from a virus.
I always wondered why the uniques were so high, but i did not even get a single click -through!! :). DomainHop started to pay for the uniques, but then stopped once there were no clicks.
Sounds exactly the same to me.

Which facts are you basing your analysis? Have you seen a single traffic statistic from my web logs? Or are you assuming "Bob"'s analysis is correct?

Bob said:
Your opinion.

I have expressed my 2 cents. I will refrain from further comments.

-Bob

Just a note to those reading this thread. "Bob"s information is way off, I think he is upset at me because I outbid him for the domain. - Pure speculation.

Feel free to PM me for the facts of this domain, and remember not to beleive every uneducated comment you hear in a public forum.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could you reply to my post asking what the url to the file is.
you can x out the domain so that its not disclosed, but disclosing the path to the file may make it or break it with this tire kicker.

I think I saw another tire kicker asking the same question as well.

tq

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com