Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed 18-30.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I own the domain name 18-30.com, anyone have an idea how much it's worth?

Domain summit 2024

You have plans for an age group club? If not, with no content and a hyphen it's worth no more than its registration price.

My first thought was "trademark" re club 18-30, but a look on tess.uspto.gov has this gem:

"NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "18-30" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN"

And that makes me think that you could get a nice chunk of pocket change for the domain. The dash works with this one imo.

After a quick look on google at potential buyers, I'm thinking $2k-$5k (end user as ever).

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, i'm using the name on a dating website for 18-30 singles, it wouldnt work without the hyphen unless i was running a history site.

Only registered it a couple of weeks ago, was surprised it was still available

I'm surprised too - VERY.

It was a dropper though, originally registered back in 2000 as you can see if you go to www.archive.org

I guess people skipped it when checking lists.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$5

I think there is a #18-30 singles channel on IRC/Undernet.

But remember, registered trademarks cost $350+ per class. Not worth unless you want to INVEST in the name.

the point was, club 18-30 specifically have the exclusion of protection on "18-30". So getting a tm is likely to be very hard - but that means liklihood of reverse domain hijacking is reduced too.

Its a widely used age range, and it needs the dash to make it work.

I stand by the value I gave on that one.

If I were you I'd give some serious consideration to registering the trademark 18-30.com . I feel this may help you in any trademark, domain dipsute which may rise its ugly head in months to come.

Another word of advice, do not under any circumstances approach Club 18-30 with a view to sale of the domain name, let them approach you, I'm sure they will very soon.

Kevin,

Did you read the bit i posted from club18-30's tm? Their tm expressly forbids exclusivity to "18-30".

Also, there is virtually zero chance of tm'ing a domain name these days.

Here's my approach:

1. Register domain.com
2. Offer services on your domain, brand them "domain 1", "domain 2" etc without the TLD
3. Apply for a trademark/service mark

P

President Gringo

Nice name. Dunno why people are saying its worth reg fee or $5. I would say its worth a few hundred bucks.

I've no doubt, Prez. My British clients have deep pockets for names that would not sell here. Seems that one should take into account cultural preferences :D

Safeys

your earlier posting - Their tm expressly forbids exclusivity to "18-30". -

I suggested the trademark 18-30.com be registered, also how would, could 18hyphen30 be associated as a trademark, anyone know? Mention also made earlier this was not a registered trademark in the US.

Clearly plans have to be made now in relation to the possible domain name level/trademark disputes which are likely to evolve.

Remember I'm the one that's in baw deep with RACRALLY.com

Kevin.

About trademarks: it does not matter if it's federally registered or not. The first person to use the mark in question under certain conditions (inter-state transcations etc) can claim the trademark. The registration simply makes it official and stores it in a database so that disputes are easily handled.

the level of protection a trademark receives is a sliding scale between descriptive/common and coined/fanciful/proprietary.

racrally is proprietary - 18-30 is not as it's widely used by numerous parties and so cannot be held as being proprietary.

The USPTO and the UK patent office have both expressed that they will no longer register trademarks for domain names alone (e.g. "18-30.com").

Trademark registration is important TC as it denotes scope of the tm's. If a party relies on common law tm they would have to show that it had garnered secondary meaning or that the "infringer" *must* have known of their existence. If its federally registered that helps in the "visibility" argument of the complainant.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont see what's so special about this domain. I dont care if it's used in 900000 million clubs. I see no resale value.

18-30.com Appraisal = Registration fees.

Sorry Bobb. Just being honest.
But you never know it could very well sell for a few hundred or even thousand. Who knows. Anyway good luck.

Originally posted by MC Juice
I dont see what's so special about this domain. I dont care if it's used in 900000 million clubs. I see no resale value.

Domain selling is all about potential purchasers - better to have 900000 million potential purchasers than none.

Thats where the bigger value sales come from.

Outside of sales, 18-30.com could be used to throw together a portal aimed at that age group listing all the users of 18-30 and combing revenue bearing content relating to that age group.

Its a great group to target mortgages, cars, gadgets, holidays to.

What more do you need to see value in a domain?

P

President Gringo

safesys knows what he/she is talking about. Totally agree with you on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators