Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

3G.com dropped and picked up for only a reg fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone here notice how Yung Ye (Ultra Search in Hong Kong) managed to grab 3G.com when it expired and apparently dropped earlier this year?

I just stumbled across that interesting fact by accident last night as I have some 3G names and in the past visited the old 3G.com site as it was considerd the leading 3G site. With a valuable name like 3G how could it not be the #-1 site?

During the 3G domain speculation heyday in 2000 I recall a news report the owner had amazingly turned down a 1 Million Dollar offer for 3G.com as he thought it was too low. But 2-yrs later Ult Search seemingly picked it up for a reg fee because they may have simply forgot to renew it. Is that correct?

It may not be worth a million $ in todays market but still worth a few hundred thousand dollars or so I would guess. Now it's a PPC search engine site as are most other Ult Search owned sites. With such a powerful name it should be put to a better use.

Has anyone else seen Ult Search pick up names of that value or is this the best one they ever grabbed?

Domain summit 2024
P

President Gringo

don't think its worth a few hundred tho. No telecom company would pay that sort of money after what they have lost buying the licenses and all with huge debts.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by President Gringo don't think its worth a few hundred tho. No telecom company would pay that sort of money after what they have lost buying the licenses and all with huge debts.

You may be right but a few hundred thousand dollars is like petty cash to those giant telecom firms who have billions invested in 3G technology.

P

President Gringo

in the old days, yes, but in todays market, with nearly every telecom company having double digit billion dollar debts, they would not be interested in it. Right now, they are selling all non-essential assets and cutting costs to the bone. They are in real trouble right now, not only coz the IT bubble burst, but also because of the huge figures they paid out for 3G licenses.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, the firms spent way too much on those 3G licenses and were gouged by the various governments involved.

Do you think the 3G market being so depressed is the reason the owner of 3G.com failed to pay his renewal fee or do you think he simply forgot?

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Jeffb

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

sasu

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree beijing.com was a drop I had a person running
a "grap service" after it when it dropped and he unfortunately
missed by few ...what it could be miliseconds...or whatever..
sure would have loved one...by the way the name was not
included in most of the dropping name lists :)
wonder why ??

sasu

P

President Gringo

Originally posted by RealNames
Yes, the firms spent way too much on those 3G licenses and were gouged by the various governments involved.

Do you think the 3G market being so depressed is the reason the owner of 3G.com failed to pay his renewal fee or do you think he simply forgot?

simply forgot.

Worth 5 digits IMHO, coz it will be widely available soon.

D

dkny

beijing.com wasn't a drop. and i believe so wasn't 3G.com.

Don't forget UltSearch is rich.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would not worry 3G is going to end up like 2G and 2.5G .... OLD NEWS! :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, 3G ain't happening anymore. But still a nice name to have.

And yeah, if the price is right, why wouldn't Ults buy it off a person who just got tired of a name or can't see the light at the end of the tunnel anymore after the dotcom crash.

D

domaingator

Originally posted by RealNames
Anyone here notice how Yung Ye (Ultra Search in Hong Kong) managed to grab 3G.com when it expired and apparently dropped earlier this year?

Remember people, UltSearch transferred most of his domains to NetSol (worked a deal for discount NetSol bulk prices with DomainSystems.com) at the beginning of this year--hence the new registration date. He got 3g.com from a few years ago--it is not a recent pickup. Yes, he originally got the name on a drop. circa fall 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom