Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

478.com SOLD for $6,300

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats to DNF member bigbobm! Sale was sold at auction at Sedo. Shows the strength of the reseller market for NNN.com names, even those beginning with "4".

bigbobm

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The winner got it at a very low price. Sevent , as you know NNN.coms are selling for much higher.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great buy!! Very low price!!! Congratulations!

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Compared to private end-user sales I know of it was an absolute steal, and a very good deal even for resellers. The problem with Sedo.com is that IMO *most* of the people showing up there are either:

- Resellers looking for a cut-rate deal (tell me who among us hasn't gotten a $60 offer for a $X,XXX or even $XX,XXX domain.?)
- n00bs with no clue of the real domain values
- End users, some of whom have real money, but they are probably looking for one *specific* name, which makes them unlikely to buy at a general auction of domains unless they just happen to see the right name at the right time.

Sedo has the power to put auctions in front of a TON of eyeballs, the key is are they getting them in front of the right eyeballs, and in the case of NNN's, do they have good enough connections in Asia :greenwink:

Yum

Editor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
478 means "go to hell" in chinese.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
China has always been a massive support to 3 and 4 letter numerical acronyms. This is because the Chinese have used western numerals for centuries and therefore find this much more familiar than our alphabetic characters. The need to represent numbers with more numbers will disappear to a large extent with the adoption of IDN. They will remain brandable, but the upside potential will be greatly diminished.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
China has always been a massive support to 3 and 4 letter numerical acronyms. This is because the Chinese have used western numerals for centuries and therefore find this much more familiar than our alphabetic characters. The need to represent numbers with more numbers will disappear to a large extent with the adoption of IDN. They will remain brandable, but the upside potential will be greatly diminished.

I seriously doubt this will happen. Are you in China RubberDuck? From what I understand Chinese keyboards have direct, single-key access to all digits (0 through 9) but typing one of the many thousand's of native characters (or 2-character groups) is much more difficult. Can you confirm that?

Reason #2 why IDN's won't hurt numeric's in asia: It will take YEARS more for IDN's to reach the needed threshold for universal accessibility (ie. 95%+ compliant browser use, plus don't forget EMAIL send and receive of IDN's).

Reason #3: There are dozens of Asian character sets. Even Chinese itself has more than one. Soon there will even be IDN TLD's. The IDN market is very broken up, but there will always be just ONE UNIVERSAL 478.com.

I don't think IDN's are a necessarily a bad investment (i have a dozen myself), but the chance they will hurt numerics is VERY small.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I understand Chinese keyboards have direct, single-key access to all digits (0 through 9) but typing one of the many thousand's of native characters (or 2-character groups) is much more difficult. Can you confirm that?

I too would be interested in your reply to this RD...

bigbobm

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Numeric names are true IDNs. Numbers are universal in every country, every keyboard, every cell phone and in every language. Since IDNs have been introduced the demand and prices for numerics domains has skyrocketed.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So who took 478.com? Who was I bidding with?!

Can anyone from China tell me what 224 means, if anything? I got some interest from China on this .com but not sure if it means anything.

duskdawn

DN.CC
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can anyone from China tell me what 224 means, if anything? I got some interest from China on this .com but not sure if it means anything.

224 is not that brandable as far as I concern since there's 4 in it and there's no meaning of that sounding.
I agree 478 means "go to hell", almost exactly. It might be good for a fun site.

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just found this thread. I was in the bidding from around 4000 something to 6200. had to let it go to the higher bidder, damn it! :p

Congrats to the buyer

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acording 3character.com/pricegude.html NNN .com's minmum wholesale price is $4900, last time I haven't seen any NNN sales for less then $6000
Congrats to seller!

lewdon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nice domain, but i don't like "4"

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's not completely true. For example, here is a Thai keyboard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Keyboard_Layout_Thai.png

Armenian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Keyboard_Layout_Armenian.png

Just a couple of examples, I'm sure there are more.

I do like numeric domains, however...

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=184145

Those images only show the main part of the keyboard. Most keyboards also have a numeric keypad on the right, so even those where the top keys aren't 1 through 0 still have single-key access to all (Latin) digits.

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Those images only show the main part of the keyboard. Most keyboards also have a numeric keypad on the right, so even those where the top keys aren't 1 through 0 still have single-key access to all (Latin) digits.

True, they may have access, but the claim was that "numbers are universal worldwide". I don't think some people understand that other countries and languages have their own numerals.

msl

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
steal of a price! worth 10k of anyone with numeric DN energies money!!!

to think it was $550 in 1999 :sigh2::sigh2::sigh2:

good luck to whoever got the gem and lets hope it don't go to HELL :lol::lol::lol:

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, they may have access, but the claim was that "numbers are universal worldwide". I don't think some people understand that other countries and languages have their own numerals.

True enough. I think it would be interesting if we have someone from each country on this board explain what numbers look like and their meaning(s) in their country.

For example, I would say that in the US:
- We use regular digits (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
- 7 is sometimes considered lucky, 13 is unlucky, 666 is the devil

Numbers are often used for
- Area codes (3 digits)
- Postal codes (5 digits)
- Dates (9-11)
- Car models (though it seems like mostly on Japanese and European cars)
- ID numbers (social security, 9 digits)
- Software versions
- and of course years (2007 here we come!)

Classic US keyboard layout:
http://www.commercecomputer.com/support/IBM-1395162_50percent.jpg

How about where you live?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

They may but few actually use them. Chinese have used Western Numerals for Centuries, whist Davengari numerals are little used in India. Arabs oddly probably don't use Arabic numerals very much.

The fact that 4 depresses the price of numeric domains shows that much of the demand is from China. 4 is unlucky to the Chinese just as 8 is auspicious.

Demand of numeric domains from China is likely to tail off as IDN become more current, as numbers have been a way of avoiding the less familiar Latin alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom