Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

a question about transfering ownership of a domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I havent sold a domain name yet. What are the steps that I have to do to transfer it to the buyer?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ownership transfer is a registrar-specific question, you may want to consult the Help or FAQ sections of respective registrars (look under "ownership transfer" or something like that).

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't know the buyer, which most of us don't. I highly suggest that you use escrow service. This protect your investment and your buyers.

For detailed information, visit www.escrow.com site.

Just my opinion.
TheWatcher.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What would you do for amounts like $300 which you definitely don't want to lose (unlike $50) but isn't worth the escrow fee? Just curious.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Case to case basis. If you can ask your client to pay you first then that would be great.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by eddie1278
I havent sold a domain name yet. What are the steps that I have to do to transfer it to the buyer?

If you are at a registrar that allows sub-account (eNom and OpenSRS for example), I create a new login for the person with that domain name. Then just give them the username and password to that profile.

If the name is at a place that does not allow subacounts (NOTworkSolutions for example), then I change teh WHOIS info and instruct them to transfer the name to their preferred registrar.

-Bob

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Make sense, thank you Bob.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
What would you do for amounts like $300 which you definitely don't want to lose (unlike $50) but isn't worth the escrow fee? Just curious.

I agree with watcher. A case to case basis.

I have bought names for $1000 without escrow, but have used it on names that are $200.

For me, I talk to the person. I get a feel for how responsive they are. I also take into account the quality of the name. If it is a killer name (IMHO) I use escrow. That way, if there is any every question or dispute, I can pull out the escrow agreement.

I am in the process of buying a name right now. It was $200, but I think an AWESOME name. I wantedto use Escrow becasue I did not want anything to go amiss. The guy is nice enoug, but he only checks his email once per week - which is frustrating on this name because I want to have control of it. We have been in Escrow for about 4 weeks so far *ugh*

-Bob

Sub-accounts at OpenSRS are not the right way to transfer ownership.

You can move the domain into a new ownership profile for no charge (perhaps this is really what you are saying), but if you use a sub-account, you either:

1) Don't give them access to all features in the domain manager

or

2) Give them access to all the other domains in your ownership profile.

Neither is the right thing to do to the domain owner.

-t

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the down side of using an escrow service is that it takes like forever for ownership transfer to go through. That's why I maintain a SOLD page where most (if not all) previous transactions are listed with prices and dates, and used as references. This works well and potential buyers would therefore feel more comfortable to pay me IN ADVANCE of ownership transfer (via PayPal.com or even direct bank deposit which does not incur any extra cost for fellow Canadians).

Having said that, I have once asked a guy living in the same city of mine to buy at GreatDomains.com since I didn't want to dig into contractual details myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom