Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

adamdicker.com and dnforum sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am speaking as myself and not a Mod.

When we list name(s) for sale, we want everyone know about the sale so hopefully we can make a sale.

When the name is not sold or you bough the name then as a buyer you don't want anyone to know about the sale history.

Too me I don't really care as I set the price and I want to sell the name at my asking price regardless of the price history. If someone wants the name they will negotiate and get the name.

The domain name business is the virtual real estate business. The only difference in the real real estate is you can spot another land and build your house or you can look for similar houses with the same features. This is not the case with domain name.

My 2 cents.
John

Last edited:

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can do that, we can call it 'sales threads that potential buyers can't find because seller's don't want them to'.

I am open to other suggestions for the name of the sub-forum. ;)

-=DCG=-
Call it "Private Sales Forum".
Description under it - This sales forum is for "Registered" members only.
If you want to see it, Register :D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I always have fun with emails that state "but you bought it for $50 on DNForum, why should I pay $x,xxx for it??!"

As Adam said, it doesn't matter what you bought a domain for, when you sell it you are seeking a considerable ROI.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This always boils down to people posting a domain for $50 and a year later they want $300 so they think if the buyer finds a previous post it will hurt their current negotiating power. That is a ridiculous way to think. regardless of what price it was posted at previously, the current price is the selling price and the rest is history.

Your selling price has nothing to do with what you posted it fr sale for previously or what you bought it for originally. That is a mindset that keeps this industry behind in it's growth.

If I paid 300k for my house and now I want 700k for it, the fact that people can look up the original cost, as it is is public, has no effect on my asking price or the current selling price.

-=DCG=-

Excellent example, case closed. No more complaints. It just sucks, when potential buyers point back to an old page :eek:

Adam is the best :eek:k:

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I hand-regged some good names in '94 & '95 for $35 a piece. The sale price later had nothing to do with the $35 :smilewinkgrin:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can do that, we can call it 'sales threads that potential buyers can't find because seller's don't want them to'.

I am open to other suggestions for the name of the sub-forum. ;)

-=DCG=-

Lots of keywords in that suggestion. That will get indexed quickly. :lol:

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As for SE if you want to remove the "Cached" portion you can add this to your head tag:

Code:
<meta name="robots" content="noarchive">

That will stop google from caching the page.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK so what happens then in the case of a domain name that you post for
sale and then later you get a UDRP. The lawyers do some research and
find that you offered it for sale for $XXXX and show that as prove that
you are'nt interested in developing but instead merely selling the name
to make a profit in bad faith ?.

DG

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK so what happens then in the case of a domain name that you post for
sale and then later you get a UDRP. The lawyers do some research and
find that you offered it for sale for $XXXX and show that as prove that
you are'nt interested in developing but instead merely selling the name
to make a profit in bad faith ?.

DG

If you have a name you expect to be at the center of a UDRP, I wouldn't go around posting it anywhere regardless of the price. Price won't be your biggest issue.

If it's going to UDRP, it's not because you posted it for sale.

-=DCG=-

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have a name you expect to be at the center of a UDRP, I wouldn't go around posting it anywhere regardless of the price. Price won't be your biggest issue.

If it's going to UDRP, it's not because you posted it for sale.

-=DCG=-

But lots of domains that go to UDRP are not in issue when they are first
regged and UDRP's can spring up unexpectedly. Im not saying it would go
to UDRP because it was offered for sale, just that it would provide
some more ammunition against you,

DG

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Face the facts. DNForum will not disable spidering and will not disable feeds. They are basic marketing tactics, and to undo them is to sink into the backwaters of the web. They are how we attract new members/buyers/sellers. That's how I found DNForum.

That said, search engine indexing seems to be a problem from both the forum itself and from RSS feeds that lead to SERP listings. End users find reseller rates online and want something similar. Brick and mortar retailers seem to be able to protect their wholesale prices, so why can’t domainers? I imagine that if customers could look up wholesale prices from local stores they would feel ripped off paying retail prices.

Here are some solutions.

1) DNForum spidering should be optional for some categories of sales threads. By only restricting portions of the site, enough linking would still be going on to facilitate new member recruitment. And for sellers, the smaller audience doesn't always lower domain sales, since you only need one buyer.

2) If DNForum is going to insist that domains and extensions appear in the thread titles, then the titles should be editable.

3) In your sales posts, intentionally mispell your domains using alternate punctuation such as commas, (dot) and/or adding spaces. (See the posts below for a test of which misspelling techniques actually work.) If a potential buyer types your domain into a reply post with the correct spelling, send a polite pm asking them to immediately alter it in some way before spiders find it.

4) Do not post prices in threads. Instead include an offsite link for BIN and maintain your own web site with spidering controls. This will give you ad revenue as well, and an opportunity to build your own domain site. If you're not into development, reconsider being a domainer in 2009.

5) insist that users respond only via PM with offers. If a buyer posts an offer, send a polite PM requesting them to immediately edit it out before the spiders find it.

6) Do not use the appraisal area straightaway. Someone may lowball their estimate of your domain for every future buyer to see. Instead, employ the same tactics mentioned above or avoid appraisals altogether. If you want to know what your domain is worth, let the market tell you. Post it using the same masking techniques listed above.

7) Use the spidering to your advantage. Let buyers know all about how great your domain is by filling your posts with the necessary facts and figures to make a business case for purchasing it. Include pertinent numbers, but not the price.

8) When you consider buying a domain, google it first and see what comes up that may affect your ability to resell it. Recent careless posts that were indexed should devalue the domain, giving you some bargaining power. It will also inspire the seller to follow the few simple rules of reseller masking. They can clean them up by editing their own posts and asking the bidders to do the same.

9) When you consider buying a domain, google it first and see what comes up. If the seller recently paid $25 for the domain and is now asking $1,000, tell them you saw their purchase post. It will give you bargaining power. And inspire them to follow the same simple rules of reseller masking. If they say "if you don't like the price, don't buy", then don't buy. Let them pay the renewal fees. Remember that when you try to resell it, the next buyer will see the $25 post too. These careless posts should devalue a domain to resellers. Domains are not Real Estate, despite the earnest posts above. Appreciation can happen at exponential rates with domains, and lowball posts can derail an exponential flip.

10) Don't get emotionally attached to domains. They may be unique, the way a phone number is unique, but there are always a thousand alternate domains that would work just as well. Content is far more important than domain. SolarEnergyInc.com can be higher on the SERPs than SolarEnergy.com if your content is superior. And the price is much more palatable.

- Marketing Guru

Last edited:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3) In your sales posts, intentionally mispell your domains using alternate punctuation such as commas, and adding spaces. If a potential buyer types your domain into a reply post with the correct spelling, send a polite pm asking them to immediately alter it in some way before spiders find it.

Doesn't help much anymore I'm afraid. Google is smarter than that.

fishforsaleatdnf,com

fishforsaleatdnf(.)com

fishforsaleatdnf(,)com

fishforsaleatdnf , com

All these will show up in Google if you search for fishforsaleatdnf dot com .

The only thing that works AFAIK is fishforsaleatdnf (dot) com. E.g. drop alternative punctuations and type 'dot' / 'd0t' etc. instead.

Google fishforsaleatdnf dot com (with '.' instead of 'dot) in a few minutes and you'll see that this thread/post comes up.

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, spaces placed in odd locations are important too, such as

fis hforsaleatdnf (dot) com

Otherwise a buyer may just search for fishforsaleatdnf

Interesting, though, I did not know that google would return "(,)" results for a "." search.

What other misspelling ideas, or masking ideas do you all have that can perform the balancing act of fooling the engines while maintaining a modicum of marketability?

- MG

Last edited:

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
4) Do not post prices in threads. Instead include an offsite link for BIN and maintain your own web site with spidering controls. This will give you ad revenue as well, and an opportunity to build your own domain site. If you're not into development, reconsider being a domainer in 2009.

I think this is the best way to protect and control your domain pricing.

This is also one of the best ways to attract end-users, as long as you develop your sales site with end-users in mind: professional design, terms clearly & coherently laid out, make it easy for them to contact you, explain terms (like uniques, pr, keywords,...), etc.

Unless you plan to drop the domain if it doesn't sell, then development has to be part of the business plan.

Thanks for the detailed and well thought out post, MG.

-DS

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just googled "fishforsaleatdnf.com" but I think we polluted the thread too much. Here is the result:

Search term: "fishforsaleatdnf.com"
SERP Listing:
iSpy DNForum.com
Feb 18, 2009 ... such as fis hforsaleatdnf (dot) com Otherwise a buyer may just search for fishforsaleatdnf Interesting, though, I did not know that. ...
www.dnforum.com/vaispy.php - 69k - 12 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages

Here is another experiment. I will search for the straight dot com versions tomorrow.

DogfishTasteGood (d0t) com
CatfishEatDogs,com
CavefishEatCatfish(,)com
SunfishEatBan anas.com
Ban anafis hEatDeadfish.com
Deadfi shDontEat(,)com

- MG

Doesn't help much anymore I'm afraid. Google is smarter than that.

fishforsaleatdnf,com

fishforsaleatdnf(.)com

fishforsaleatdnf(,)com

fishforsaleatdnf , com

All these will show up in Google if you search for fishforsaleatdnf dot com .

The only thing that works AFAIK is fishforsaleatdnf (dot) com. E.g. drop alternative punctuations and type 'dot' / 'd0t' etc. instead.

Google fishforsaleatdnf dot com (with '.' instead of 'dot) in a few minutes and you'll see that this thread/post comes up.

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The test domains have not been indexed yet. All of them return a message reading "did not match any documents." I'll give the spiders more time.

- MG

Last edited:

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
still not indexed.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I always have fun with emails that state "but you bought it for $50 on DNForum, why should I pay $x,xxx for it??!"

As Adam said, it doesn't matter what you bought a domain for, when you sell it you are seeking a considerable ROI.

The problem is; When a potential buyer finds out what you bought it for, it makes the negotiations much more difficult... You and I would understand the price increase because were in the business, but to an end user, it's much different, they feel their getting ripped off and you the seller have to explain it away, which usually doesn't work.

I'm sure you've gone through this, so you know what I'm talking about.

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DogfishTasteGood (d0t) com
CatfishEatDogs,com
CavefishEatCatfish(,)com
SunfishEatBan anas.com
Ban anafis hEatDeadfish.com
Deadfi shDontEat(,)com

- MG

The results are in. I only tested this with Google. I typed in the 'correct' version of these names, ie DogfishTasteGood.com, and here are the indexing results:

DogfishTasteGood (d0t) com NOT INDEXED
CatfishEatDogs,com INDEXED
CavefishEatCatfish(,)com INDEXED
SunfishEatBan anas.com NOT INDEXED
Ban anafis hEatDeadfish.com NOT INDEXED
Deadfi shDontEat(,)com NOT INDEXED

Also, I haven't checked, but I think these are all available for hand reg. Send me a kickback if you make a bundle on them.

Another test without the spaces, and with hyphens:
Flapperdabbersians(dot)com
Flubberdipperdos(d0t)com
Flangolicious-com
Wokkytokkycarbokky(-)com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom