Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Adding 'buy this domain' to minisites

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've started trying something new with my minisites. These are one page sites where I've posted a free article related to the domain name, some photos, etc, to make it more than just a parked page with links. I can't fully develop dozens or hundreds of domains, so some I make into minisites with relevant information, and add advertising through affiliate programs and so on. It isn't too hard to make more than a domain's reg fee doing this, and usually significantly more.

When I started doing this, I added an email contact link at the bottom of the page, in case anyone wanted to contact me about a domain or the site. Sometimes people actually contact you about the site's subject and think I am some kind of organization on the subject matter. I never added a 'buy this domain name' type of link at the top of the page, because I thought it would detract from most visitors who come to the page. But my other worry used to be that someone who landed on the page because they followed the domain and were interested in it would think it was already being used and not available for sale.

Last weekend, I started adding a link to all these types of pages right beside the domain name that says 'Buy this domain name'. The link goes to a general page I made that says the domain may be available for sale, lease or partnership, and there is an 'Email me' link they are encouraged to click to contact me.

The day after i added this to some sites, I had an enquiry for a domain that had just been pointed to a minisite. I replied that the domain was available for sale and they could make an offer. Haven't heard back yet, but tracing the IP it looks like it came from a large environmental engineering firm in the US. I've been adding the link to more sites and will see how it goes.

I wonder if I've been missing out on enquiries from people who before had thought the domain was being used already. We'll see.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If people want a domain they will try to make an offer regrdlesss of the site or content on the website.

-=DCG=-

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree in most cases, that's why i never put an obvious 'buy domain' link on my pages before. But I bet there are people who see a webpage on the domain and would give up right there. There are still some very unsavvy web users out there. I get surprised from time to time about some of the general enquiries I get from my webpages, people who think I am a different business or asking questions related to the domain subject. Anyway, this is an experiment and in a few weeks or months I'll know if it makes a difference in sales enquiries. Getting one the very next day was a good sign.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>> If someone wants the domain badly enough, they will contact you regardless.

This is true in most cases, however there is no denying that putting a "domain for sale" or "domain inquiries welcome" message generates more inquiries than not having it. It's harder to measure if it leads to more sales, but if your salesmanship is good it seems like it would. I think it's a good idea for minisites to reel in those visitors who would otherwise say "oh, someone's already using it" and move on to the next domain.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since starting this a month ago, I've had enquiries from my contact form on three domain names; a one word .com, an LLL.me, and a one word .ca

Will update if a sale results. Encouraging to see that people are using the form.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try adding a drop down subject option "Domain Inquiry" or "Make an offer for this domain/site" to the contact form. It is more subtle but still lets interested parties know that the domain is available for sale. A Buy This Domain banner may 'cheapen' the value of your site in the eyes of visitors which may impact how much time they spend on the site.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but haven't noticed a drop in overall site revenues. These are mostly one page minisites so I'm not too worried, and one good domain sale can match or beat monthly revenue from all the pages.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have been doing this for a number of years and building out sites
the MAJOR bonus is that sites climb high on the search engines and are literally under endusers noses
i offer a choice of buy the domain and site or advertise
'double bubble', as we say in the UK

parking is dead
this is the ONLY option, and the best optiont
takes time.
each year more are 'out there' though

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One other thing I've noticed is that anyone who clicks on a 'buy domain' link for more info, goes to the same general contact page. So with my web stats, I can see which pages/domains are getting the most click throughs even if the people don't follow through and contact me. Just another gauge to tell which pages are getting the most interest.

H2FC

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get automatic renewal of new content articles for wordpress minisites?

I know the search engines like new website material and it's a lot of work changing the articles every week or so. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom