Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed AdultMovies.info

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tee

I like .info because it represents what we use the internet for - to get information. I think it has had a terrible start because of the economy, terrorism and because of registry problems including the sunrise fiasco but I believe once a few high profile sites get up and running and advertised I think .info will be a monster without limits. Its a well known abbreviation in 6 or seven languages and just makes the most sense of any possible extension on the internet. I think by the end of this year we will see a lot more of .info.

In my opinion, .net or a hypothetical .web dont cut it because they are describing structure of internet and kind of redundant although a .web would be catchy I think. Info is what its all about and I think the potential to use it taking advantage of its authoritativeness sound is there.

Of course, releasing to the public like all the good names will help.

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tee.

.info will require patience and overcoming the temptation not to sell at this point in time, no matter how hungry your stomach is :shy:

.info domains are great search beacons.

As I have said, google should have always been google.info.

btw Tee, you seem like a born salesman, the way you rationalise benefits. Monsters!

T

Tee

Some might argue - well releasing the good names to the public just puts all the names into the hands of speculators. This may be true to some extent, but I believe .info will lend itself to typeins once a few sites get up ecouraging even some hardcore speculators to take advantage of the traffic.

Also, in order for the internet to survive and work in general, we must have learned our lessons from the height of the .com associated greed days. High priced domains, ill thought out business models and other just plain stupidity will not make it especially in this economy.

The potential business or speculator will check greed at the door and either make their business work or go out of business. And that I think is healthy.

On the .info front, lets not forget that almost no businesses (of any size) are using this extension at the moment. If your buying them, its for a punt with some pocket change only in my opinion. Its still a dot com world and I see zero evidence of that changing.

T

Tee

Thats true but the beauty of .info imo is that it won't take much for it to explode because it doesn't require branding the way .com did. .Com is a nonsense word. It is not a commonly know abbreviation for anything. Commerce, computer whatever. It had to grow with the internet. That is its strength (and that is a lot of freaking strength I admit lol). I think however, and i've no real proof, that once a business, and it will probably be a new startup, uses the info extension and advertises it, its special properties will be revealed creating a panic wave of use.

Admittedly, mta.info was initially using a long cumbersome url. And the terror attacks definitely created a need to see that site more. But the slightest advertising of mta .info raised usage of the site exponentially. Its practically now a legend what happened there. Now .info is everywhere in ny and in the subways.

The lesson is is that info can be remembered and apparently is being remembered and is useful.

But, ultimately, of course, it must be used on a larger scale and be used by business if it is to get real recognition in terms of the urls as being seen as valuable in themselves.

All I'm saying that the chances of this happening are good imo. A speculation on an extension.

Remember, from banking to shopping, we need to know where to go to do business. Infos are excellent almost tricky urls to direct people where to go. And not necessarily to another .com - maybe to another info site explicitly about this subject with convenient references (like your buiness!) of course.

What i like is that info as a word is already extremely well known and has been for quite some time - far more known in the world than .com - there's just no comparison. The trick is in getting .info known as an extension. And I don't think it will be such a hard trick to pull off even in a blunted economy.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Tee,

I do agree that the word "info" is especially applicable to the internet, but from what I can see the extension isn't being adopted by business very much at the point in time.

The mta.info example was well publicised, but I haven't heard of any others, that may change but at this point info is unproven.
Mta's move was a smart one, as the moved from an address which was impossible to remember (www.mta.nyc.ny.us - didn't even resolve without the www!) to one which is somewhat easier to remember (www.mta.info), now all they have to do is buy out the person with mta.com and they may get all their traffic back!

I agree many people wouldn't know .com stood for commercial, but thats not really important as I would argue as in most peoples eyes it stands for "the internet" and anything else doesn't sound quite right...

T

Tee

I agree. com definitely does mean the internet and to argue otherwise would be foolish. I just feel for the reasons i stated that if any extension has a shot at cutting through the .com brand, its .info because of its utter relevance and ease of remembrance. And I'd argue that mta.info is easier to remember than mta.com because it just makes a lot more sense.

In any case, that url is giving them tons of traffic.

Can you imagine a commercial say for broadband.info or loans.info on network television on prime time? Instant .info recognition. It just makes too much sense on the internet inspite of .com being "the internet". It has a built in authoritiveness and sounds neutral. A marketers dream come true.

I guess we'll see how it goes. In any event, I believe .com will remain a premium extension if not "the king" for years to come. However, I believe certain instances of extension and names may have more value and command higher resell prices than the same name in .com.
We'll see.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I first started using the net in 1995 when Yahoo's home page took 1 min to download.

Today I use broadband like everyone else here, zoom zoom zoom.

I bought my first .net domain early 1998, but was afraid the authorities would take it away because I was not a business. At the time, there was only one registrar for .com, .net, org.

I registered my first .info domain in LL in Sept last year after 9 months of putting my credit card to risk with over 30 weird registrars many whom I never heard of.

I look back at 1995, and I wished I had the balls to register .com names when it was as painful as pulling nails from your you know what.

But looking back, there is one lesson I have learnt and will remember for the rest of my life.

When the tea lady tells you to buy .info, you are already way too late.

To all those .info believers, Tee especially, stomach the critics and hold for as long as you can.

The internet is changing rapidly. The Roman empire took centuries to collapse. History does not repeat itself. It reinvents itself.

T

Tee

I wish I had broadband. In fact, I would trade my gobroadband.net to get broadband :)

Actually, I will be getting it soon. It must be great being able to get things done right away instead of having to wait.

Yahoo.com took 1 minute to load? Those were the really early days.

I heard that they designed the site to load within 3-6 seconds on a 12. whatever modem from the start. Now that is smart. I look at all these .com sites with their freaking weird dhtml and javascript and it just takes minutes to load and more often then not, crashes my browser. These people are retarded. Most people dont have broadband. Speed is so important! Without speed, all your wonderful content doesnt get seen.

I think a site should load in 6 seconds or less with a 56k modem. They should offer a broadband option not assume all have it.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:) In 1995, 14k modems were the rage

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
:) In 1995, 14k modems were the rage

.....and cell phones were as big as keyboards :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...and the stoned virus was still a collectable item on a floppy disk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators