Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Advice on domain price

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have lost perspective on the price of a domain name. I have a final offer of 600 for hairdryer(ca). I was thinking that was far too low, but then I question if it is so niche that I should just sell it. It gets a large number of searches when I look at Google adwords.

Thanks for any input.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are of course many selling methods. Some like to eek out every last dollar and are prepared to sit on a domain till they do. Others like to turn over their holdings and are willing to take a little less than they could otherwise get. You never know when that next buyer will happen along - if ever.

The domain in question is very niche. It's certainly not something made in Canada anymore and probably not something that is highly sought after for purchase over the Internet. $600 sounds fair to me but then I don't know what you paid for it! ;)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a reasonable price. If you really don't need the money, I wouldn't sell it just for the sake of making a sale. If you need the cash for other things or other renewals, then it isn't a bad sale.

The term has commercial appeal, and you say it has a large number of searches, and it's a big term especially for the female market. For a company that is in this market, $600 would be a small price to pay. I can see this domain being used on an infomercial, for example, for a new type of hair dryer, or in an ad.

I am surprised this term outranks 'blow dryer'. 'Hair dryer' has almost 6 million returns in Google, 500,000 global searches per month and 22,000 Canadian searches per month. Ad competition is medium to high. Product domains seem to be in more demand lately, because it's easier to set up an online sales site now through Amazon or Shopping.com, and this is a product I could see people readily buying over the internet.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

In short, $600 is a decent price if you need to make a sale, but personally if I was in this position and had to sell it, it wouldn't be a sale I'd be happy about.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think $600 is too low for this name, if you don't need the cash hold out for $2,888-$4,888.

Product and service domains are the most valuable.

-=DCG=-

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly so, but I feel it is real tough getting much money for low priced consumer products you can easily buy at Wal Mart since I doubt many women would buy a hair dryer online, especially if you consider the comparatively small Canadian market who would be using the .ca extension. Also, what with the believed high store return or store exchange rate for these kind of electric consumer products women like the confort of returning it to the store instead of the mail.

I think $600 is too low for this name, if you don't need the cash hold out for $2,888-$4,888.

Product and service domains are the most valuable.

-=DCG=-

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am really appreciating the advice, and it's helping me understand exactly why I am struggling with this one.

I also own blowdryer and blowdryers(ca), and they are not as popular searched terms, not sure why.

I think I am going to pass on the sale, thanks for everyone's opinions.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are looking at 2 different age groups for hairdryer and blowdryer. Blowdryer is a term for younger and hairdryer for an generation older...this could have some bearing on the search numbers. I think you made a good decision if you don't need the cash.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would also take 600$ but try hard to get 1k back. Unless some company comes looking for your entire niche set of names in this area, you may have a decent offer on your hands.

If that 600$ will go into something more valuable long term, pull the trigger.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You probably already checked, but do you know who the buyer is?

Last edited:

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Spex makes a great point. This discussion is aimless if you do not know who the buyer is.

That should be your primary objective.

Personally, I do not even get up in the morning for $600 bucks...you have to have a min price to sell your domains or it makes zero sense to be in this business as you have all your maintenance/renewal costs. I personally would not let any domain go for less than 3K...no matter how crappy it is.

mikeyboy

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spex makes a great point. This discussion is aimless if you do not know who the buyer is.

That should be your primary objective.

Personally, I do not even get up in the morning for $600 bucks...you have to have a min price to sell your domains or it makes zero sense to be in this business as you have all your maintenance/renewal costs. I personally would not let any domain go for less than 3K...no matter how crappy it is.

http://www.dnforum.com/f324/7040-com-thread-395788.html

BIN is $1100...highly brandable name.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good news, flip it to the guys in this thread for $2k lol

Take the money, use it to reinvest and move on. Holding out for $1400+ is ridiculous and BAD value on time.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are looking at 2 different age groups for hairdryer and blowdryer. Blowdryer is a term for younger and hairdryer for an generation older...this could have some bearing on the search numbers. I think you made a good decision if you don't need the cash.

I of course use blowdryer :-0

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly so, but I feel it is real tough getting much money for low priced consumer products you can easily buy at Wal Mart since I doubt many women would buy a hair dryer online, especially if you consider the comparatively small Canadian market who would be using the .ca extension. Also, what with the believed high store return or store exchange rate for these kind of electric consumer products women like the confort of returning it to the store instead of the mail.

I agree about the low-priced products in general, but do keep in mind that there are some very fancy hairdryers out there that can cost amounts such as high $xx or low $xxx to the point that it might be worth it to check out the online stores.

OP, I'd take it and re-invest it. Just remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom