Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic Forums-gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys could well be the new forum site in the domain World, it appears that afternic.com has deleted all its forum post's and the chat room as well.

They obviously couldnt stand the heat, maybe its only temporary, but i doudt it, there have been rumours for Months that it was going to happen.

When it cools down the traffic to this site may increase to who knows what, where else are the Afternicer's going to go, its a pity that not to many of them know about this place.

I hope that thier loss is your gain, a lot of the afernic members are going to be very p*ssed off, all you need now is a chat room and it wouldnt be to hard to catch a lot of Afternics traffic, after all Register.com paid 40 odd million dollars for AN, not so long ago.

Good luck. :cool:

Domain summit 2024

Afternic is built on their chat, removing that shows either contempt for their users or a state of arrogance/ignorance.

IMO, Afternic will become a shell - I doubt register.com will kill it outright due to the price they paid - but to all intents and purposes it will be another place you can list domains to gather dust.

End of an era, I remember when afternic chat very first started, and greatdomains chat too - now they are both dead :(

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
wow, I was just at the chat room yesterday, that's too bad :upset:

I am thinking about doing a "chat" feature here at dnforum soon, what does everyone think? :swg:

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GIVE ME A C
GIVE ME An H
GIVE ME An A
GIVE ME A T

WHAT DOES THAT SPELL???

CHAT!!!!!!

We need a chat room.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by domnet
GIVE ME A C
GIVE ME An H
GIVE ME An A
GIVE ME A T

WHAT DOES THAT SPELL???

CHAT!!!!!!

We need a chat room.

Domnet, as a matter of fact, I just installed one a few minutes ago, here: http://www.dnforum.com/chat.php the link can also be found on the homepage. :D

This is a test, and I will be upgrading the chat software tomorrow where I got the chat room for no ads & colors and things like that. :swg:

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was quick.. i get a feeling of De'Ja'Vu here, i tried the chat.. took a while to get going but i will figure it out.

Very good move, the Afterafternic is here.

Good Luck. :laugh:

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why did they delete their forums and chat room?? It doesn't make sense to me at all. Strange..

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by AMERICAR
That was quick.. i get a feeling of De'Ja'Vu here, i tried the chat.. took a while to get going but i will figure it out.

Very good move, the Afterafternic is here.

Good Luck. :laugh:

Ha yea, really I was planning on the chat room for the site for some time, and domnet just gave me a reminder, hehe

Hi Dan,

If you plan on developing the chat it might be an idea to use an irc based server. That way people can use mirc or similar and keep logs etc.

This is how most people used to use gd in the past and it has alot of benefits to a proprietary java app (unless the app you are using is backended by irc already, in which case can you give out the server/channel).

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Hi Dan,

If you plan on developing the chat it might be an idea to use an irc based server. That way people can use mirc or similar and keep logs etc.

This is how most people used to use gd in the past and it has alot of benefits to a proprietary java app (unless the app you are using is backended by irc already, in which case can you give out the server/channel).

That seems to be a very good idea, using an IRC based chat accessible via dnforum.com or an IRC client, I'll look into other software. :)

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dan,

Your obviously on top of your game plan.

On AMERICAR's tip i find myself here and look forward to using your chat facilities.

Great move and i wish you great success

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by vialli
Dan,

Your obviously on top of your game plan.

On AMERICAR's tip i find myself here and look forward to using your chat facilities.

Great move and i wish you great success

Originally posted by AMERICAR
You guys could well be the new forum site in the domain World, it appears that afternic.com has deleted all its forum post's and the chat room as well.

They obviously couldnt stand the heat, maybe its only temporary, but i doudt it, there have been rumours for Months that it was going to happen.

When it cools down the traffic to this site may increase to who knows what, where else are the Afternicer's going to go, its a pity that not to many of them know about this place.

I hope that thier loss is your gain, a lot of the afernic members are going to be very p*ssed off, all you need now is a chat room and it wouldnt be to hard to catch a lot of Afternics traffic, after all Register.com paid 40 odd million dollars for AN, not so long ago.

Good luck. :cool:

Hi safesys...long time no talk!

I called Register.com Wednesday (10 April) morning and spoke with a customer service rep. She seemed very nice, and hadn't heard anything about the serious changes at afternic. She spoke to a supervisor, who told her the forum and chat were closed because of inappropriate postings. She said they were considering other options, but had no "immediate" plans.

The worst thing wasn't even the closings, but the way they did it, with absolutely no warning or notification. There's not even a message on the site informing people of the change...I've never seen such complete contempt for customers.

Miles

P.S. Note to the webmasters...once again, great site!

Originally posted by Namethink
I've never seen such complete contempt for customers.

Hiya Miles!,

It is a long time since we spoke last, hope you're having fun :)

Just shows you how much register.com really valued their afternic community - the community that was the backbone of their site.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, how come I can't access the chat on a Mac running Explorer. It goes through the motions and all I get is a blank screen. :cry:

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>I called Register.com Wednesday (10 April) morning and spoke with a >customer service rep. She seemed very nice, and hadn't heard anything >about the serious changes at afternic. She spoke to a supervisor, who told >her the forum and chat were closed because of inappropriate postings. She >said they were considering other options, but had no "immediate" plans.

Yea, what that really means is all of us who got fed up with their lies, propaganda and obfuscations and felt compelled to remind them on their own boards...well, we finally managed to hurt "the brand" enough.

I'm surprised it took them that long to shut down the boards. Yet another wrong move among many for this joke of a company.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
took $40 million from Register.com.

The last great move :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators