Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic+shoutloud

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAIRPLAY

THE WAY THAT AFTERNIC/REGISTER.COM ARE TAKING OVER THE BIZ I.E. BUYING OUT SHOUTLOUD.COM ETC .....its just as well that there are places like www.dnforum.com , and {**SPAM**} who both let us have our say, and help us to sell/ buy/ and advertise.

thanks to you both

FAIRPLAY........ FOR ALL

Domain summit 2024

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another senseless buy by AN/Register.
C'mon, Shoutloud.com?!
Register.com seems to be having fun in buying the wrong companies and paying too much for it.

I think fairplay should be banned for abusing dans resources.

Just my .02

KLICKMARKET

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
HAVE I missed something here??

what was FAIRPLAY doing that was so wrong?

I gather he was only advising the members here, (the people who make this forum work!!) of an alternate place to sell,list+talk about domains ?..thats what forums are for aint it ???

We need and look for as much support and help from fellow members as is possible...after all, isnt "that" what this forum is all about? an open discussion forum where people exchange ideas and information , and hopefully a few names ??

freedom of choice is what is at stake .....we are all competing here, between ourselves for buyers and sales, hopefully without too much animosity....so why are we all getting so up tight about
a little competition......its a great big INTERNET out there.and lots of room for all.

post your replies !!
i,m all ears

klick

Originally posted by KLICKMARKET
HAVE I missed something here??

what was FAIRPLAY doing that was so wrong?

emailing spamming (with multiple emails being sent out to recipients) through dnforum, and spamming the board here. You honestly think thats ok? :confused:

the issue doesn't relate to "freedom of choice" as you would suggest, it relates to hassling people with multiple unsolicited emails and junk board posts.

Sounds like another graduate of the "wanda school of aggressive marketing".

If they get the content, they'll get the visitors without spamming like muppets.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Geez,
don't get too hysterical yall.

J

jimb

Maybe we can edit the URL, and see what this FairPlay person does. Anything else goes down, im voting to take him outta here.

Jim

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm voting to do not.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your independent vote on this comes as a shocking surprise. :laugh:

F

FAIRPLAY

Originally posted by jimb
Maybe we can edit the URL, and see what this FairPlay person does. Anything else goes down, im voting to take him outta here.

Jim

i vote not to .. too!!
no longer independant BEATZ !!

JIMB... no need to edit urls or get yourself takin fits about anything !!! (but carry on if you want)

if ya wanna know something ..........just ask ??........but as i know,
if you dont like the answer....... it will be cleared from the boards .just as always......... not such an open forum as you people would have us think..

any how.....ask away

FAIRPLAY

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't see what all the fuss was about really. As long as a post is useful, it should be allowed to stay.

Can't say I noticed any spam - was it censored?

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have many, many domains listed with AN, and yes I was quite disappointed when they "upgraded" the site. The forums, chatroom, appraisals and want ads were very useful tools. Having said that, I still find it hard to find another domain resource that is running as good as AN. Maybe the next "upgrade" will reinstate those "good" tools, with improvements.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domaindirk
I have many, many domains listed with AN, and yes I was quite disappointed when they "upgraded" the site. The forums, chatroom, appraisals and want ads were very useful tools. Having said that, I still find it hard to find another domain resource that is running as good as AN. Maybe the next "upgrade" will reinstate those "good" tools, with improvements.

That's for sure! Nothing compares to the extremely good software and programming work once offered by Afternic. Nothing is even close to it as far as ease of use, features, functonality, user friedliness and look & feel go.

AN's alledged 'upgrade' to version 2.0 was of course a big downgrade to a website which is almost worthless now, with few features or benefits to members. What idiots! :mad:

I like dnforum.com a lot :) and visit it all the time but I must admit Afternic had it beat by far, but it still ranks 2nd to AN (and better than other domain forums). AN was so good because they likely spent a zillion dollars on all that great custom programming work, whereas this program I think is a low-cost canned commercial program, also used by others and not custom programmed at great cost as was Afternic.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

AN was so good because they likely spent a zillion dollars on all that great custom programming work, whereas this program I think is a low-cost canned commercial program, also used by others and not custom programmed at great cost as was Afternic.

What's wrong with 'low-cost canned commercial program'? These programs, like UBB and vBulletin were developed at high cost and thousands of manhours. It's just that we get it at low cost. Ahh, the wonders of affordable technology.

My take is that forums only derive value from the people using them - not the programming. There are lots of great custom coded sites out there that have no users and no prospects.

AN was seen as the bane of the domain world by many of the more professional domain resellers. It was a place where domains changed hands for peanuts and fake bids and fake sales were rife - giving the whole domain market a cheap feel.

People found new friends etc at afternic and thats great - but don't kid yourself that AN ever did anything constructive for the domain market.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Afternic OWNED the market after its first year. They did everything right in the first year, and they did everything wrong after that. All problems could have been solved if the boys hadn't sold out (can't blame them, of course) to a corporate parent who thought stonewalling users would get them through crises.

Four simple things would have saved Afternic and made them the kings of the market:

1. Tight moderation of the boards.
2. Seller feedback ratings, and ascending perks to those who played straight and pleased buyers.
3 Timely response to fraudulent/stolen auctions.
4. Cheap, no strings registration for registered users

Those 4 things would have made Afternic profitable and credible, neither of which they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators