Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Afternic sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by proproject
Thank you for the congrats. It has been a lot of work and it will continue to be, I'm sure.

GeorgeK, what do you like about Escrow.com? We are planning to do escrow in-house primarily to make the transaction simpler with only one service provider (especially for the buyers who are less familiar with the process usually).

Roger Collins

Roger,
You knopw what would REALLY help.. get rid of the nonsense min buds on junk domains..

it makes the site look ridiculas.. FuelCellInstruments.com $15,000 that type of nonsense..

I dont have a problem with someone "wanting" 15K for it..but we all know that isnt ever going to happen and it just diminishes the credibility of the site..

ENCOURAGE bidding..by not having any bid start above $100.. that ENCOURAGES people to bid...eveyone can still have their reserves and either make the reserve public or not..
Just my opinion..

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the 2nd biggest problem in this market is irrational pricing by sellers. I was just discussing an example today of a seller who rejected my own offer of hundreds for a domain and then let it drop rather than pay to renew it. I don't understand this behavior. Domains are not lotto tickets. We started addressing this problem with a ranking that rewards reasonable prices - better values get more exposure.

But I don't agree about the desire of offers far below what the seller would entertain. While it does provide some information (and that's why I use to agree with you), it also wastes both people's time and that concern is more important to me now.

Now I encourage sellers to use "or best offer" pricing. Set the starting offer and the reserve to what you will accept for the domain so that the first offer will meet reserve. We reward commitments to sell in our rankings and we display "Next offer" for the "reserved met" status to make sure buyers know the negotiation will be immediate on such listings. We also show listings that have met reserve maximum exposure (on the home page and on every parked page). One more trick: OBO prices are matched as well as asking prices by the price range in the advanced search.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
proproject: You might also want to revamp the site categories -- it's very hard to find the names one wants. e.g. browsing alphabetically would help. Also, being able to limit things to various TLDs (i.e. only .com -- I don't want to waste my time scrolling through pages of .us names).

Having more names per page would also help (hitting the "next" button a lot of times gets tiring).

Being able to sort by recent bids would be useful.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
proproject: You might also want to revamp the site categories -- it's very hard to find the names one wants. e.g. browsing alphabetically would help. Also, being able to limit things to various TLDs (i.e. only .com -- I don't want to waste my time scrolling through pages of .us names).

Having more names per page would also help (hitting the "next" button a lot of times gets tiring).

Being able to sort by recent bids would be useful.

Yeah , I hate scrolling through al that .com junk :D

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Our ranking should show .com's first, generally. Alphabetical order is one small element of the ranking. There is an advanced search that allows filtering by TLD and several other fields like price range. We dropped the recent bids view just to reduce incentive for shill bidding.

Why would sorting by recent bids be useful?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorting by recent bids allows on to check everyday whether any new names have been bid upon. If a "good" name is on there, that one missed in the past, one can bid on it too. One only needs to reach backwards in the recent bids list until one comes across bids that you saw last time you visited. This saves a lot of time.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Simply requires a "unique search script" allowing "searchers" to control the variables of the search results.

We can write this script, if needed..

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks everyone for posting ... I've become very fascinated with this whole "evolution" the past 24 hours! Best of Luck to all concerned. PS. Hi George :)

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper
Roger - can you please answer a couple questions......

1) You have only purchased the domain name 'Afternic.com'? Not the site - or the business?

2) So all the Afternic systems and servcies are history?

3-A) Other than having 'Afternic.com' point to your 'NameBuySell.com' site - what else should people expect?

3-B) Will NameBuySell.com remain pretty much the same? Just using 'Afternic.com' to get traffic?

Thanks! :)

Sorry, I missed this one until now. 1) We did not purchase the software or the business. 2) I don't know. 3) We are changing our name and domain name to Afternic.com. We are actively developing the system, making improvements all the time. The list is too long to cover on this forum without sounding like a sales message. :embarrass

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
heh i think its nice that we're having people from these businesses come to the boards to talk with members. I would more likely do business with these guys.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"heh i think its nice that we're having people from these businesses come to the boards to talk with members. I would more likely do business with these guys."

I agree. This is pleasant. I know that many here have commented, and are looking forward to visiting the new site. I wish the new folks well in their endeavors and to all, Merry Christmas (officially now at midnight)! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators