Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion Alter is Shutting Down

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi There

First and foremost, I would like to thank each and every one of you for using Alter to sell your domain names. We couldn't have come this far without your invaluable support.

Over the last couple years we've been on a mission to transform the domain industry. However, despite all our attempts we weren't able to find a sustainable business model. So it is with a heavy heart I write to you today to say farewell.

On April 2nd, all third-party domain listings will be removed from our marketplace. Seller accounts will remain active for the foreseeable future so those with a positive balance or pending installments can continue to cash out.

Lastly, we realize this decision wouldn't be fair to sellers who spent money to have professional logos designed on our platform. So we have refunded all relevant payments back to your account balance which can be cashed out at any time.

We truly wish you all the best in your future endeavors. It’s unfortunate that this wasn’t the outcome we wanted but we’re thankful to everyone that came with us on the journey.

Sincerely,
Deven Patel
Founder & CEO

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_103521_298.jpg
    IMG_20220320_103521_298.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10
Domain summit 2024

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think 10% commissione was not a good model for the brandable marketplace. I also found brandable investor only dumped their average brandable domain name which were got rejected by SquadHelp and Brandbucket.

Anita

Level 4
Reaction score
Sad news indeed. I guess they tried. Like others have said, without having a big marketing budget or a huge traffic generating business idea (SH has contests that brings in precious end user traffic) it's difficult to be profitable in this space.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

if the domains listed on alter didn't have much type-in traffic,
then who is visiting the site other than "other domainers"?

that is and will be the issue, for any marketplace that doesn't have sufficient marketing budget to grow exposure.

i never used the site, so no biggie to me.

imo....

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

if the domains listed on alter didn't have much type-in traffic,
then who is visiting the site other than "other domainers"?

that is and will be the issue, for any marketplace that doesn't have sufficient marketing budget to grow exposure.

i never used the site, so no biggie to me.

imo....
They did marketing and other 'SEO' but the problem is they were charging just 10% which is very low compared to SquadHelp & BrandBucket as both charge 30% to 35% success fee.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They did marketing and other 'SEO' but the problem is they were charging just 10% which is very low compared to SquadHelp & BrandBucket as both charge 30% to 35% success fee.

BB is 35%? 😮

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

seems to me,
that if they were charging less, for same/similar services,
then "the crowd" would likely move over to alter.

there have been hundreds of sh&bb domains wanted threads posted on NP
but that didn't happen for alter.

they didn't get enough publicized sales to hype the platform, which may have changed outlook.
as a startup, facing such competition, they were fighting an uphill battle from the git-go.

imo...

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's two weeks for domain that's submitted without coin.

SH is pretty quick.

I was referring to BB. I submitted a group of domains last month and still haven't heard back.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Took a quick look at all the major brandable platforms SquadHelp, BrandBucket, Brandpa.

Compared to Alter they have a much better design and mobile experience. SH also has a very good SEO and content strategy.

Alter will be to do a lot of marketing work. It's possible to compete but they need better domains in there too IMHO.
Hi

seems to me,
that if they were charging less, for same/similar services,
then "the crowd" would likely move over to alter.

there have been hundreds of sh&bb domains wanted threads posted on NP
but that didn't happen for alter.

they didn't get enough publicized sales to hype the platform, which may have changed outlook.
as a startup, facing such competition, they were fighting an uphill battle from the git-go.

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom