Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotster Amazing bug at Dotster

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dotster.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siber

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dotster started to sell some new cctld's recently. I bought "nic.vc" and changed nameservers, waited a few days but nothing changed. Domain has been pointing to Tucows site. Then I changed nameserver again and waited a few days but again nothing change. When I look up a whois, nameservers seem changed but it's still pointing to Tucows site. I decided to send an e-mail to customer support, they sent me an email reading how to change a nameserver. I told them I have enough knowledge to change nameservers and there seems to be another problem, anyway after a few e-mail the customer care understood the problem. Nameservers were not updating at main .vc registry. The customer care told me he noted the bug and informed their IT deparment etc. It has been more than two weeks and I have not used this domain and still waiting a reply/solution.

Dotster is one of my favorite registrars actualy and their customer support is good I think but this event was really a surprise for me. Has anybody bought .vc or .hn domains (.vc seem to sell fast because it's cheaper than many other cctlds) and are they working properly?

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update

since the inital posting of this thread I have aquired www.nic.vc and the domain is resolving now just had to be manually updated at the registry. the results are success. just try the link http://www.nic.vc

jim

siber

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem may be related with the nature of "nic.vc" . I guess "nic" is important for cctld's. Actually when I want to buy a cctld domain, I directly type in "nic.tld". But they had to reserve it, if it was important. Dotster customer department never mentioned this, they just told me they are trying to fix the problem. I'm really confused. I hope I did not waste my money.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update

since the inital posting of this thread I have aquired www.nic.vc and the domain is resolving now just had to be manually updated at the registry. the results are success. just try the link http://www.nic.vc

jim

siber

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I changed nameservers to ns1.afternic.com..., ns1.sedoparking.com..., finally Dotster's nameservers. I waited at least 72 hours everytime. Recently nameservers are set to Dotster's nameservers but it still pointing to Tucows site. Nameservers are not being updated at .vc registry. That is what Dotster customer care told me. That's really amazing.

dotBIZ said:
Try a simple nameserver change ...ns1.mydomain.com etc.

jim

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange...

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bought many .hn domains with them and they all work fine.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has this been resolved? I want to get a couple names, but want to make sure the problem has been resolved.

siber

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Has this been resolved? I want to get a couple names, but want to make sure the problem has been resolved.

I made a research, all other .vc domains including generics (e.g. www.dot.vc) seems to work. I guess there is a problem with only "nic.vc" . So this thread should not dissuade you buying any .vc domains.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update

since the inital posting of this thread I have aquired www.nic.vc and the domain is now resolving ... just had to be manually updated at the registry. the results are successful.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators