Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

amy.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Who the fish is tagnames.co.uk? :confused:

Can they get me my .co.uk name besides detagged.co.uk?

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there a fundamental value in three letter .co.uk's that I'm missing?

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there value in *.co.uk's in general that I'm missing?

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by namedropper
Is there value in *.co.uk's in general that I'm missing?

The secondary market for .co.uk's is pretty slow in part due to the rediculous time it takes to transfer a domain.

BUT, .co.uk is a cctld that is in signifant use - it has almost comparable mindshare as .com in the UK and there are over 3.5 million .co.uk's registered (that is significantly more than .info, .biz and .us combined and also more than .org).

Looking at figures for the last few months, on average, over 1,500 new .co.uk domains are registered every day (compared with 500-700 a day for .info, .biz and .us).

Its also worth noting that good .co.uk's do get type-in traffic.

Personally I do think that generic .co.uk's offer a good investment opportunity - but at the end of day its not .com

Regards
Martin

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The unpredictably long time for a .co.uk name to move through the detagged > suspended > available process means that expired names are extremely unlikely to come with high link popularity, whereas an expired .com might.

Aloof

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You have to be a Brit to appreciate a .co.uk

They were pretty popular during the internet bubble years and a vast amount of cash was blown on above the line promotion of .co.uk URLs

There are many documented cases of cases of .co.uk domains selling for six figure sums

Even today they are more advertised than .com in Gt Britain

esure.co.uk
House.co.uk
Elephant.co.uk

Are three examples I've just seen in one commercial break

Since the dot com bubble burst and the .Com extension is taken as a negative indicator of failed enterprise and tech bubble madness .co.uk's have outgrown .com's in popularity

That is the case in Gt Britain for sure, is it a similar story in other non-US nations ?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
deleted - my post is well out of date. (sorry)

Aloof

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whois-Search

A few months back, somebody offered a snapback type service on deleted .co.uk domains, then, citing changes in nominets deletion process as a reason, refunded all his clients their £50 a drop and ceased trading

Do you know

1, what the nominet changes were exactly ?

2, Is there another outfit offering a similar service for .uk domains ?

Cheers

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aloof

Do you know

1, what the nominet changes were exactly ?

2, Is there another outfit offering a similar service for .uk domains ?

Cheers

The service was NameTrack.co.uk (I ran it) and indeed it is no longer operational. The main change nominet made that effected how our service operated and more importantly how we were going to maintain and improve efficiency was that they changed thier public facing whois service to update every 5 minutes rather than every 8 hours. I don't want to go into any further detail but you can draw your own conclusions.

With regards to your question about similar services I am not aware of any that I would consider both reputable and effective at grabbing .uk domains.

Regards
Martin

Aloof

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ahh !

I see, thank you Martin

I take my hat off to you for the way you refunded your clients cash, you are a good honest boy !

I think I can see the technical aspects of the issue but I'm still a little uncertain as to why you'd fold a perfectly good, much needed business

Best regards

mreeves

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best way I can summarise the ultimate reason why I decided not to continue with NameTrack is as follows. In the .com namespace due to the way the registry operates SnapNames is able to build operational efficiency through partnering with more registrars. This has seen SnapNames sucess rate increase from around 35% to over 80% (I believe). Due to the way Nominet operates with its old out of date systems you can't grow efficiency in the same way for .uk. This meant that our success rate would have been in steady decline as the market became more competitive which would have resulted in a lot of unhappy customers with unfulfilled subscriptions.

There is certainly demand for such a product and hopefully either nominet's systems and policies will evolve in such a way as to make it a feabible business in the future or Nominet will introduce a WLS type service (something which I believe is been discussed within Nominet).

Best Regards
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators