• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Another New .US I Really Like

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
6,088
Reaction score
62
I have been keeping my eye out for a good relocation services domain name. Moving is a big market and the people relocating buy loads of goods and services. Finally came upon and registered this today:

YourMove.us

Super memorable name (nice play off the old game term too) and directly addresses the US market that I would target.

As I have stated before, I am not interested in trying to sell .US today when values are minimal, but thinking in terms of 5 years from now. Looks like a good future bet to me, how about you?
 
I remember checking .US's the day the registry went live. I reg'd JobBoard.US on day 1, but I passed on BulletinBoard.US which was available till day 2. I probably should have taken that one too.
 
Actually, now that I think of it, I also passed on CheapTickets.US and Blogs.US which were both available the first day when I checked them. I'm an idiot!
 
blogs.us doesnt really appeal, but CheapTickets.us might have been good! Espacially developed
 
Originally posted by greggish
Actually, now that I think of it, I also passed on CheapTickets.US and Blogs.US which were both available the first day when I checked them. I'm an idiot!

You passed on CheapTickets.us!! That terms gets over 300,000 searches in Overture, one of the highest counts I've seen for a two word term. You are a disgrace to idiots everywhere! :)
 
Do you have any more salt that you could rub in my wounds? :sad:
 
Originally posted by greggish
Do you have any more salt that you could rub in my wounds? :sad:



:laugh: Sorry Greggish! Actually, we've all been there and done that I'm sure. And look on the bright side, .US could still totally crash and burn...then you will be glad you never got it!

Though I love the name, any big payoff is still several years away.
 
No prob... I'm really not that upset about not taking those. Those great one worders that people tried to grab in the lottery and I'm sure many companies paid under the table to Neustar to get... those are the ones I wish I had.
 
Originally posted by TrafficMonsterRRR
YouMoveMe.Guys

Is that another one of those goofy New.Net names? :)
 
Originally posted by interactive
looks like a good name...are .us's ok though?

It totally depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish. The majority of people here are domain name sellers. They want to buy a name at a good price, then hopefully resell it for more. If that is your primary interest, then no - .US is not OK for you. .Com is where the action is today. You can also make smaller amounts of money on .net and .org if you choose very carefully. .Info has even had some respectable sales lately though it has only been on the scene for a short time.

There is another group who are primarily site developers. These guys can do well with .US and any of the other major extensions. They are good at search engine placement which when done well can drive traffic to your site regardless of the extension.

Then there are a few jack-of-all-trades which is what I would call myself. I try to play every position. I have finally learned that the only way to get good .coms is to identify names before they drop, hire good drop catching services (unless you have your own powerful scripts and hardware) and cross your fingers. This can get expensive, so if you can't ante up you might as well forget the .coms.

I will also take .nets and .orgs (I have sold both and you can make some money on both today, though prices are much lower than comparable .coms) Also, there are far more good root terms available in those extensions and these can sometimes still be had for a reg fee. However you need a service like Exody so you can see the names as soon as possible after they drop. The info you get from Deleted Domains is usually too late to do you any good.

Finally, unlike the vast majority I am also interested in .info and .us. I also develop sites of my own and there are some great names still available in those extensions, especially .US. I am betting on these domains for the future - probably at least 5 years out - when I think the public will be using them widely.

Most people don't look that far ahead - and that's fine - if you don't then don't bother with them. One thing to remember though is that the people who got the great .coms got them in the early days when everyone else thought they were crazy to buy them. By the time you realize .US and .Info have caught on it will be too late to get any decent names in those extensions.

I didn't mention .BIZ only because they don't appeal much to me personally. Others view them just as I view .info and .us above and may do fine with them. I only own two out of the 150 domains I have. One major drawback is that you cannot freely buy and sell .BIZ names due to registry restrictions, so if you buy one you better plan on building on it.

How's that for a long winded answer to a short question?


P.S. Now that I have divulged all of the industry's secrets they will have to have me killed. I hope you're happy! :)
 
Originally posted by interactive
Ahh kewl thanks for the info.

Yer Welkum :)
 
You know a good place to register .us (that would accept paypal?)
 
Originally posted by interactive
You know a good place to register .us (that would accept paypal?)

If you need to use PayPal, Enom reseller SharpRegister.com advertises on their home page that they accept it. $8.88 per reg. I think you have to email them before regging if you want to use PayPal though. They were the one of the first registrars I used before setting up my own Enom reseller account.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom