Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anti-WLS petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain summit 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys want BuyDomains to continue dominiating it as they do now? :confused: I am voting in favor of it at that website.

I seriouslly doubt if they are going to spend the big bucks needed to participate much in WLS. That may eliminate them as a big player freeing expired names for others to get. :)

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BRING it on indeed.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a list of the people here that support the WLS, so that when it goes through, and they start whinging about not being able to get WLS's on decent domains, we can laugh in their faces?

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I seriouslly doubt if they are going to spend the big bucks needed to participate much in WLS.

yeah, I also heard they were already bored with this hobby of theirs and they're going to switch to collecting stamps

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
was best put by beatz a while back: the 'secret' is hard work. Knock off the whining and get to work, WLS or not.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert
Can someone post a list of the people here that support the WLS, so that when it goes through, and they start whinging about not being able to get WLS's on decent domains, we can laugh in their faces?

Between the devil and the deep blue sea, I'll chose WLS anytime. Laugh all you want:D

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just signed...thanks for the link George

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle yeah, I also heard they were already bored with this hobby of theirs and they're going to switch to collecting stamps

Since they already own zillions of great names (more than 100,000) they could better spend time marketing them even more than they do now, rather than shelling out huge sums of capital in advance for WLS.

Plus, BuyDomains already owns most of the best names including zillions of keyterm industry specific names, there may not be much left which could expire. I don't think they will use WLS much, perhaps not at all.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's probably just human greed to accumulate more and more. Sure, BD will continue, but at a higher price of business that's all. I'm interested to see how BD and US can submit thousands of calls to the first-come-first-serve WLS registry in the first 10 secs.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think they will use WLS much, perhaps not at all.

I was actually going to try and prove my point until I read this sentence. We'll have to agree to disagree.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, why don't we gang up and start a 'expiring soon' business to grab good names from owners directly.

Any sites or scripts that flags out domains 1-2 weeks before the official expiration date?

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just tattooed WLS to my right shoulder :)

(don't ever pass a tattoo parlor when you are drunk)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder what your gf is going to say:D

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NP, its ok mole.
What a relief...it was a temporary tattoo.
Apparently Versign is selling them at gas stations now !

"WLS - We Lure Suckers" :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:laugh:

Yes, its all about money, isn't it :sad: We can rant and rave till we are DNF green about protecting cottage industries and fair competition but in the end, money rules.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry Clint, can't give you my support on this.

July 12, 2002

Dear Dotster Customers,

I am writing you today to let you know of some potentially harmful changes that are being proposed for the domain name registration industry. These changes, if adopted, would restrict consumer choice, cause domain pricing to drastically increase, and re-create the monopolistic atmosphere that once existed in our industry when Network Solutions (now VeriSign) was the only game in town. Dotster, and other smaller registrars, need your support to help us maintain the healthy, competitive environment that currently exists today.

First, let me give you a little background on this issue. At the end of 2001, VeriSign proposed to ICANN a Domain Name Wait Listing Service (WLS) as a way to manage the registration of expiring domain names (for those of you unfamiliar with ICANN, this is the organization that was established several years ago to govern the domain industry when the Network Solutions monopoly was broken up). This proposal includes a partnership between VeriSign and SnapNames, a competitor to Dotster and other registrars in the secondary domain market sector. This proposed partnership would effectively eliminate all other competition in the secondary market, thereby eliminating your choices and the competitive alternatives that currently exist. At the recent ICANN meetings in Bucharest, it was determined that a final position regarding the proposal must be decided by the end of this month.

Dotster strongly opposes this proposal as harmful to the consumer and the entire domain registration industry. I recently wrote a letter to Marilyn Cade, Chair of ICANN's WLS Task Force, to express Dotster's position on the proposal. The entire letter is available for review by clicking the link below, and I encourage you to review it and consider the implications that adopting this proposal would place on the entire domain name system. How will it affect you?

Letter to Chair of WLS Task Force: http://www.dotster.com/resources/wls.pdf

We need your support! If you agree with Dotster's stance on this issue, please let me know. Send me an e-mail at WLS@dotster.com to share your comments and support. We are currently in a 10-day comment period, and we need your comments before the end of July. In addition, I ask that you post your opinion at the ICANN WLS forum at:

http://forum.icann.org/wls/

and participate in the petition against WLS at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/antiwls/petition.html

Thank you for your continued support of Dotster. VeriSign is an industry giant, but banded together it is my hope that we can preserve an environment that fosters innovation and healthy competition for the benefit of you, the consumer.

Sincerely,

Clint Page
President, Dotster Inc.
WLS@dotster.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators