Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Any City/Geo .ORG sites that are successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am just wondering if you guys know of any geo .org sites that have been developed and surviving commercially?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am planning to acquire a cityname .org domain name for development. Corresponding .com is off the limits anyway ;-)

thanks,

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It can be potentially be successful, but you need to develop it like a business, instead of like a domainer who put some crappy Wikipedia or generic information on the site and expect a revenue.

Firstly, you will need a business model / plan. Then you will need the resources to develop it (e.g. hiring real journalists to post news, update the site at least 5 times/day, maintainence, has a local physical office to maintain credibility .....etc).
Then you will need a marketing team and find advertisers who have confidence in the quality and quantity of the traffic your website generates........

In the end, it is very very hard unless you have at least 500K USD in budget to start up and prepare to fail , like any other business. I have a mega-city .com , but could not get started because of the amount of resources/work required. I need someone like Yahoo! or Google to collaborate.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a few that I redirect to my real estate site.
They do receive some type in traffic...

Kazzia

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apparently MyrtleBeach.com is doing amazing revenues. I just got Tecate.org - not comparable but it is a Mexican city known for it's beer, of course, Tecate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com