Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone else experience this at Godaddy? Incorrect whois records

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Ok I bought a domain at the Godaddy domain auction, it was transferred into my account and I updated the contact info and nameservers. Pretty standard practice there.

Except weeks later, nothing... I check other whois sites and all of them are telling me that the name servers are still the old ones. Even though my domain manager is saying that I have the newest name servers for weeks.

I emailed them and called them, basically they tell me its my browser cache. Well I cleared that, tried 3 browsers, two computers and two internet connections... same thing. Stale whois data.

Now heres where it gets weird....

I call one of the godaddy reps and walk him through whois sites and send him screenshots of the stale data on my side. I updated the nameservers, my email and tons of things a few times to hopefully flush the correct data through. No luck.

Now he says ok let me put you on hold and Ill go try an outside network... He checks various whois sites and is claiming it all has the correct whois info.

I do the same thing... and its showing me the old data on about 10 whois sites!

I got so frustrated that I tried to transfer the domain out.. even dynadot told me what I already knew. Dynadot tried to send the transfer email to the old owner being as even Dynadot has stale info.

So my theory is that even though Godaddys domain manager control panel is telling me I have the correct whois in there, for some reason they arent pushing the correct data to ICANN/Verisign.

I have no explanation why this guy says he saw the correct info on whois sites on his 'outside connection' at godaddy.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes their seems to be an issue with godaddy... i had the same issue last week... domain could not be forwarded or changed from previous settings set by the previous owner, name servers, anything to do with the change settings to be applied to the domain would not work.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kind of seems like they invented a sneaky way to hold our domains hostage so we cant transfer them out..

Anyone have any ICANN contacts? I did the right thing and contacted godaddy first but they basically are ignoring the situation telling me that eventually it will resolve or its an ISP situation. Which it CANT be. Dynadot is sending the transfer email to the previous owner. So its nothing to do with my ISP.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The only thing good about this glitch is the whois information list the history and contact info of the old registrant for new drops that is not bad to know :) It will all be resolved soon.

Last edited:

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
alll the gd domains when quiered for whois info thru domaintools.com ,
it does not show the details but display a link of whois page on gd for checking it.

maybe some issue /////

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right it gives you the who.godaddy.com url to check your whois data at. Only problem is that is showing old data. As of today, I still cannot transfer this domain out to dynadot. Whats worse...And a warning to everyone.. is that make sure you check the godaddy whois and see what admin contact email address they are reporting before you do a transfer out.

Because in my case, its sending the transfer code email to the previous owners email! Even though I have it set to MY email in the domain manager. I had the domain unlocked before I saw that was happening. The old owner could have transferred it out for free. So now I have locked the domain back up and am still waiting for
Godaddy to update the whois data. If they never do, I cant transfer it out...

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
An update on this issue... Godaddy basically is holding my domain hostage! Dynadot cancelled the transfer because godaddy never updated the whois info to what it says in my control panel. Because of this I never get the domain transfer email, thus I can never transfer it out from godaddy.

Their support is telling me that maybe dynadot is using some sort of caching mechanism to save on bandwidth...Why do 10 whois sites all report stale info on this domain months after ive updated it in my domain manager?

I think they have devised a sneaky way to not let people transfer out domains. Maybe its a bug but either way its working 100% in godaddys favor and against all ICANN rules.

Im sure ICANN would love to know about it. Anyone reading this from Godaddy who can fix this issue for me please?

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok another update on this.. still cant transfer it out anywhere. The domain was won in the godaddy auctions, then placed in my account. I updated the contact info but an engineer at dynadot pointed out to me that basically there is still a registrar lock on the domain...

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

The domain contact info was updated ok in my domain manager but it never updates the whois info. Anyone know anything about this? Why cant I even update the whois contact info on a domain in my own account? Do I have to wait the dreaded 60 day waiting period with incorrect whois info then the registrar lock will be lifted?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom