Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone here have any luck with internic.ca "back ordering" service for .ca names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm after a few domains that should be purged because they are expiring or the registrant fails to meet the residency requirements.

Is internic.ca the only place doing .ca back-ordering? I can't help but wonder what kind of success rate they have.

Domain summit 2024

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>gruffyserv: ... or the registrant fails to meet the residency requirements

D'you mean you're actually going after these non-Canadian dot-ca registrants? How would you proceed?

One thing about internic.ca is that they do NOT refund any failed back-ordering: they only allow name-switching (like that in SnapNames).

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
>gruffyserv: ... or the registrant fails to meet the residency requirements

D'you mean you're actually going after these non-Canadian dot-ca registrants? How would you proceed?

One thing about internic.ca is that they do NOT refund any failed back-ordering: they only allow name-switching (like that in SnapNames).

I'll probablly have to follow the CIRA complaint process for the non-resident. I have a NUANS name search that shows the company it is registered to doesn't exist (not to mention the admin contant is located in America).

UDRP in Don Mills costs $1750 CAD, but I don't have a trademark on it so it would be pointless.

I'd rather pay $50 CAD to "backorder" it in the event it actually gets purged like it should be (domain is registered until 2007 so no one else has a hold on it).

That being said, I want to know if there are any other name-catcher programs aside from internic.ca.

Know of any? or have you had any success with their program at all?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, Webnames.ca also provide back-order service, and they offer FULL refund upon failure. But I haven't had any luck with them.

internic.ca has successfully grabbed site.ca for me, which I later sold to another member here. :)

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks guys!

I may as well use them all, especially the ones that don't charge unless successfull. I'll keep you canucks posted on my .ca reverse-name jacking antics. This should be interesting.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of the names got renewed at the last minute. Also remember that CIRA reserves a lot of names.

Here is an example of what names they reserve.

If "example.ca" was "dropping" and someone has a site at "example.bc.ca", then "example.ca" will be considered reserved and not drop.

RMF

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DropWizard.com provides .ca drop service

$75 canadian or $50 us

You can enter it at our site just like any other domain. The order page will accept the extension.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi gmartfin ( dropwizard.com),

I guess I have asked you that as a third-party registration service provider which CIRA-certified registrar are you using.

I am also very interested in good dot-ca back-ordering services, but can you elaborate a bit on how you compete with the registrars who provide the same kind of service themselves?

By the way, are you Canadian? I see that you have a Langley (BC) address for administrative contact, but your registrant field shows nothing at all.

Thanks.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By the way, are you Canadian? I see that you have a Langley (BC) address for administrative contact, but your registrant field shows nothing at all.

eh??

You bet:D

The registrant field only shows blank because of the temp registrations we do. It's passed over to the clients. My domains and you'll find fully filled out. Although I just checked dropwizard.com and see some are missing. I'll have to update!

As for the canadian drops I will say we have been working with some of the registrars. And frankly a more unbusinesslike lot I have never seen. biz must grow on trees for them. Unless I find some improved attittude soon we'll drop the line:sad:

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
DropWizard.com provides .ca drop service

$75 canadian or $50 us

You can enter it at our site just like any other domain. The order page will accept the extension.

The price is right. How long does the CIRA take to delete names?

Can it be applied to names that may drop but don't expire for a few years?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>gruffyserv: ... How long does the CIRA take to delete names? Can it be applied to names that may drop but don't expire for a few years?

Expired dot-ca's are suspended for only 30 days before they are released by CIRA. Lucky that we do not have Verisign here in Canada.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave

Expired dot-ca's are suspended for only 30 days before they are released by CIRA. Lucky that we do not have Verisign here in Canada.

Thats good to know. I don't know if the CIRA has enough spite or malice for the adverage person to ever turn into anything like verislime.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does CIRA offers zone files for public?

Good question. We were posting deletes right on the first day of suspension. The cira list is only posted the night before deletion. that gave our clients a 30 day advantage using our list. Problem was the format we got it in required massive conversion work to post. And we weren't getting enough biz to justify continuing it.

And as I've mentioned the registrars are morons to work with.

I'm trying to work something new out that will keep everybody happy.:D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Internic.ca is also listing expired dot-ca's well ahead of the deletion, but then you don't actually get any advantage because all registrars start submitting their registration queue at the same time (noon Eastern Time) on the date of deletion.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The advantage is in finding a drop berth for it. Doesn't matter when the registrars start if you don't have it ordered at all:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators