Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Appraisal Believer?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.

Do you believe in other people appraisal?

• Yes, I believe it.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No, I don't believe.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • May be, depends if the value is favorable to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not care, but I use it for reference only.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

To me appraisals should just be treated as a barometer of general opinion rather than as being a set in stone "valuation" of a domain.

If you don't have faith in the registration you made, why should anyone else?

For those who have voted, poll result indicates that most people either don't believe or don't mind what is being appraised for in here. Thx.net for your participation.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
goh ... my feeling is that most appraisals are mostly useless whether they are free like here ... or done by so-called experts for a fee.

But "buyers" (not tire kickers) are generally speaking very good at appraising ... because they use a tool few others do ... their check book!

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I am in a posting mood right now, so here goes.

an opinion on a domain's worth can help you to adjust your asking price, if that opinion contains well thought out arguments.

If you pay for an opinion, I think there is a conflict of interest, as the person or company is likely to over value the domain, to encourage you to buy more opinions.

I think the most helpful and honest opinions can be obtained when the people giving the opinions do not know what other people's opinions are. That will cause them to do a bit of thinking on their own. As opinions are listed, many people who add to the opinions, will be affected by the opinions already posted. Some people might be reluctant to go against the general trend, some people may feel like countering the general trend, to gain attention, ect. I think most people do adjust their opinions based on what others say, as the psychology of the crowd usually has an effect one way or the other.

I think if you can get several independent opinions, it can help you decide how to price your domain.
In the end, you can have several valid and reasonable opinions, but as we all know, a domain might sell for much more or much less than any well thought out opinion.
http://www.dangerousdomains.com

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best appraisal for an undeveloped domain you can get is from the buyer who has just agreed to buy it.

Everything has a price, but that price is NIL if there is no buyer.

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Vialli. If I understand your post, basically, your stating that appraisals are meaningless and worthless. I don't like the word appraisal, when applied to a domain. Yes, I think a good argument can be made, that appraisals are worthless, because it is so difficult to appraise a domain. Actually, I think it's almost impossible to appraise a domain, but I think well thought out opinions on the "worth" of a domain can help the domain owner to decide how to sell it. I think a stumbling block is using the word "appraisal". It just doesn't work for domains. I think the word "opinion" works much better and is valid. Then the domain owner can consider the opinions, and decide whether to price for a quick sale or hang onto it for a bigger sale. I think it's helpful if an opinion includes both a "quick sale" value and a long term value.

vialli

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jingle,

Very true, there are many successful and knowledgable people here at DNF, their opinions are very useful in guiding others on the value of a name.

But by the sheer fact that one member appraises a name at $5k and another at 'not worth the reg fee 'just goes to prove that a domain is only worth what a buyer pays for it.

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
vialli has wrapped up the whole thing - what the buyer is willing to pay.

Lats...

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I like to read appraisals just to get an idea of what other people think. I usually disregard values that people say, but rather look to see the consensus of whether it is a good, medium, or bad name.

Just my appraisal. :)

-Bob

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most appraisals give you an idea of the interest level, if not value, of a domain. A domain reseller must use many other tools in combination with appraisal input from other resellers, before a reasonable resell price can be obtained. Keywords, brandability, searchability, market levels, category values, extensions, developement levels and of course a buyer's expence account. As far a professional appraisals, I've wasted some money with a couple, but have had good luck with EchoArts.

I agree with others that appraisals should be used more as a guide to whether people are picking up the right kind of names, eg if most people appraisal your names well its likely a good sign, if you consistently get "no value" appraisals well its probably a hint that you’re on the wrong track.

As far as paid appraisals go they have no value in my opinion, the problem there is that they all give inflated valuations so you'll come back and buy more, if they gave accurate valuations they would probably have no customers, so there is no incentive to give you a realistic view :)

Of course no appraisal is going to be accurate to any great degree as its impossible to estimate what one particular person - the buyer is going to pay. So sometimes great names are going to sell for a price which many would consider cheap, and some buyers are going to pay high prices for a name which most would consider lousy.

Thus its easy to say appraisals have no value - a domain is simply worth what a buyer will pay which could be any amount. Even if you put the same name on auction of ebay two weeks running you'd likely get a different outcome. But that’s not to say other’s opinions have no value, its just that prices vary so wildly and depend on so many factors that is just not possible to reliably predict, so the best that appraisal will give you is an idea of the quality of your name. But on the whole names with low appraisals tend the ones that have a funny habit of rarely selling, whilst highly appraised names seem to get far more interest from what I can see of it:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think appraisals can be good thought starters on where to direct your domain best, no matter how crappy the world thinks of it.

It's always good to have feedback, better than no feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators