Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Are domain conferences worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingberto

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've not been to a domain conference but I have read much about them at various sites and dnjournal.com. I'm thinking about going to one for the first time this year but since I already missed the playboy mansion one (maybe for the better to avoid the domainer plague) I am wondering what some of your experiences are on the current conferences scheduled.

DNCruise is one I have thought about even with the recent news/scandal surrounding it. Did anyone here go to the one last year? comments?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL @ your sig
made me chuckle

kingberto

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks. spent a lot of time on it as you can tell. Its a work in progress.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've not been to a domain conference but I have read much about them at various sites and dnjournal.com. I'm thinking about going to one for the first time this year but since I already missed the playboy mansion one (maybe for the better to avoid the domainer plague) I am wondering what some of your experiences are on the current conferences scheduled.

DNCruise is one I have thought about even with the recent news/scandal surrounding it. Did anyone here go to the one last year? comments?

why would you want to go?

just curious

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most conference (in any industry) aren't that great. Most of the time you have people staning at a podium talking about how great they did and what they plan to do, maybe even their vision of the industry for the future. Most of this you can read on blogs and new articles later on (even hours later) for free.

I think the biggest advantage is networking. You are with other people in the same industry as you. Sure, you have great domains but may not be a great developer but you may meet up with someone who loves to write articles - they may make a good contact for content.

You have a few drinks with an executive for a hosting company and (while buzzed) they blurt out a great coupon code.

You found out that a registrar is about to jack up their prices so you can renew your domains before.

You'll also usually have vendors pushing their products and services, you'll be able to put a face to the names behind these companies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why would you want to go?

just curious

ditto.

Never been to one myself and no future plans to attend any. I think the conferences are for fun, networking mostly between the heavy hitters and benefit to industry firms.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First one I went to I met a guy in the lounge before the show even started...within 12 months after that I sold the guy $8300 worth of domains.

That said...it's easy to learn how to buy and sell domains much cheaper than going to a "domain" show. I'd spend the $$$ going to shows that teach you how to make money with Domains like SES, affiliate Summit and even SXSW.

kingberto

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How the hell did you get Pred's picture?

I think you are talking about my "coming soon image" at showtimedomains.com. Im just marketing towards my niche. big harry guys with mullets. I think it is a real open audience :)

The reason I would like to go to one of these conferences is because of the networking aspect. To put names with faces instead of avatars. But also to learn about what's out there on a person to person level.

The reason I was thinking about DNCruise because if the networking and learning is working. . beers and women are alright too. Im sure it is not just domainers on the cruise. ;)

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainFest is well worth it and as mentioned above, networking is the most important part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom