Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

question Are forums dead?

This is a general or domain name related question.

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Xenforo is so versatile to build on.
I've always thought vBulletin is the most robust and most versatile forum software. Xenforo is a new idea to me, though I've know about its existence, I never thought it's that good.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, with an overlay that pops up and disappears. We'll look more into it!
As long as it does not require an extra click like marking forums as read. I like to mark them as read when I am done and that silly window that says... Are you sure you would like to mark the forums are read. I would not click it if I was not sure.

MonetizeInfo

Monetize.Info Owner
Reaction score
I currently manage two forums, both on Invision Community. I can agree that in some aspects Xenfor looks better and it seems to slowly become the standard forum software used by big communities. However, I'm still happy with my Invision Community.

Speaking if forums are dead or not my answer is that depends on the niche. I couldn't make profitable an SEO forum (as most of the people moved to FB/Linkedin Groups) or are reluctant to post content on public forums but I have good success with financial forums.

Auto forums are also on a descendent path.

Other niches that work well are the niches where people don't want to post information with their own name or they need to offer detailed info which is not time-sensitive. (addictions, adult, money-making opportunities)

Here are two articles I've written regarding starting, managing, and monetizing forums.

Hope those help,

paulbain

PaulBain@PObox.com
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I currently manage two forums, both on Invision Community. I'm still happy with my Invision Community.

Here are two articles I've written regarding starting, managing, and monetizing forums.

MonetizeInfo, I thank you for writing and posting those two articles. I am perusing them now, and hope to study them in greater depth later.

senrak

Level 1
Reaction score
Raymond Hackney poses the question of whether forums are dead or not on his blog (which if you think about it, is nothing more than owner-posted threads with owner-approved replies on a forum) after the question came up as to whether forums are dead when Epik announced DNForum ownership.

He makes some good points, gathered from, well, forums.

I would beg to differ because there is this little, I mean, huge, company called VerticalScope. They operate around 1500 communities on some of the greatest exact match domains for forums.

The licensing of the forum software to get to VerticalScope's level is estimated to be anywhere around $150,000 to $300,000 due to moving from one commercial platform to another. However, I think they got a break when Xenforo sprung up and they got a great licensing deal that isn't offered anymore -- I know, as I tried to obtain this as I want to compete with them, but the barrier to entry (a single license as opposed to an unlimited one) makes it exceedingly harder to do as each forum is another hundred to drop.

Why would I continue to operate forums and monetize domains that seemingly fit into a category that could be a community? Because it's profitable.

Unlike a blog, a forum has "user-generated content" (UGC). In most cases, this is now deemed as low-quality content by search engines. In others, it's not. You can have a thread that gets thousands of visitors a year for no apparent reason and cash in on CPC ads with that.

So are forums dead? Short answer: No. Long answer: Only if the operators of the communities don't continue to encourage users to participate, which they must determine which way is appropriate for that to happen in that particular community.

If you have the time, monetize your domains with a forum and you may never need a sale! And if a sale comes, it's probably VerticalScope knocking on your door.
Forums...I don't know. Maybe need a new strategy to give everyone something to talk about. Treat monetize domains like crypto and they'll come running.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are almost no new forums, especially for domains and some members cannot access their account on domain forums.

Our CANADIAN forum at dn.ca is doing fairly well, we are not setting the world on fire but it's going pretty good.

It was established in November 2000 so it's still considered fairly new.

Reaction score
Forums as a means of online communication and community-building are not necessarily dead, but their popularity has declined in recent years due to the rise of social media platforms and other forms of online communication.
While some forums may have lost traffic and engagement, there are still many active forums in various niches that continue to provide valuable information and discussion for their communities.
From an SEO perspective, forums can also provide opportunities for building backlinks and driving traffic to your website if used properly. However, it's important to prioritize quality over quantity and avoid spammy tactics that can harm your website's reputation and rankings.
Overall, while forums may not be as popular as they once were, they can still be a useful tool for building community and driving traffic to your website if used strategically and with the right approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom