Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.Asia has Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaadoo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I`ve been seeing a lot of people saying that .asia is completely worthless. I would have to disagree.

Let me just start of by saying that the landrush was a big waste of money and time. That`s why I stayed away from it and I tried to tell people but it seems like a lot of people still went for it.

I also seen some people spend large sums of money on them such as regging them at EuroDNS for 18€ a piece which is ridculous. Go to moniker and get it for $15 or Rebel for $13.

Next, I do see that some people regging so many of them that most of you are right, it is pretty worthless in that sense. But if you just regged the good ones, I`m sure they are worth something. Asia is a continent that`s developing extremely fast. China, India... we all know that, so enough said.

Also when comparing .asia to .eu I have to say .asia is much more brandable. I mean just having the word asia there helps the domain in terms of SEO. In some sense .asia is like a fad right now that might die down a bit later. But within a couple of years 2-3 I would think it will appreicate. Again I seen some bad names being regged but I also seen some pretty good names that are worth something.

To some I might just be stating the obivous here but I decided to make a post here because it seemed to me that there was some overgeneralizing going on.

Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i can appreciate any opinion.

But I also appreciate the opinion of those that live in the "asian" countries and are members of this and other forums who find such a domain as .asia to the point of being stereotyping and perhaps even racist.

That is the "overgeneralizing" I see and I have to agree with them 100% in this case.

domainplus

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am an asian Origin and trust me we rarely think ourselves as Asians.We do not even think ourselves as Asians unless me migrate to some other place where we are classified as Asians..

I am either a chinese , Indian , Pakistani , Nepali , sri lankan or whatever..if I am an Indian company trying to do business with Chinese I had reg .in and .cn but I dont think Asia will ever matter to us...

You may see big companies register .asia just for the heck of it to protect their trademark but half of india is still unaware of internet let alone .in extension...

For Indians , most of us it is either .com / net /info or Org

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No one knows what the future holds. I think it's silly to not even put a small risk in the new extensions. Never hurts to add a little risk to the portfolio.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
When i think of .asia...i really do think of Visit.asia ...it's something like that...which can bring real value to the .asia extension in my opinion.

I don't doubt that it may be possible that it has value in the future. I am trying to not be biased. I only bought one...and won't buy anymore to be honest. So i'm not being positive on outlook because i own .asia's. Just trying to see it from other peoples point of view. ;)

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
racist!? i dont think so. we/they dont think like that here. and it isnt .asiaN, its .asia. location. English being the international language, .asia would make more sense.

i dont think there is any problem with this extension and i too can see a lot of potential as well. we will see soon ;)

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Asia is a continent. Does a continent really need it's own tld...no...especailly when every country on the continent has it's own ccTld.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
?

Just like the americas? Europe? well, too late. .asia is here and here to stay.
just get one and see how it does.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did buy one mobile :)...it was decent and cheap and I had credit at the registrar, but i don't have much faith in the ext...

Yaadoo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it`s not like .asia will be a huge boom. It`s not going to be the next .com or .net anything like that. But it`s not going to be the worst .tld either. I`m sure it`s better than .pl and stuff like that.

So don`t go reggigng LLLL.asia or anything like that. But if you get a good name on any somewhat decent tld it`s still worth something.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Im unaware of that discussion. just cant see how .asia would be racist.
well, world peace and everyone loves everyone :)

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did buy one mobile :)...it was decent and cheap and I had credit at the registrar, but i don't have much faith in the ext...

Same here.

The .CN for chinese is growing and the best policy for us domaineer where you can push your domains to any buyer/clients. While .asia is limited.

This is just another .mobi on the side or another .travel extension results.

Don't get me wrong, as domain investors I will register some domains for brand protection only but not be using it for resell.

If we rely on end user to register .asia, they will prepare to register a .com or ccTLDs and last option is .asia.

If we rely on businesses to register .asia, they will only get their name brand or maybe never.

So it is very limited market but only time can tell the future of .asia extension.

ktechsite

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think we have to be very selective in this extension

It could take few yrs to see a good value in this extension

Herakles_NL

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see it's main potential in traffic from other continents then Asia to locate something in Asia.

For example, a European company that is looking for a low cost manufacturer or IT outsourcing. Chances are good that it will evaluate asian alternatives (and not just Indian alternatives). A .asia domain will be an excellent gateway to the alternatives this company has in the different countries in Asia. For travel etc, the same.
-> that's also teh reason why English is the preffered language for this tld imo

For inhabitants of an Asian country it makes, indeed more sense to use a ccTLD. (when i, as a Dutch person, search for a company in neighbour country Germany i will always search on the .de ccTLD and not the .EU. People from other continents with different European alternatives for this company probably will use the .eu though)

Just my two cents ;)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .asia has really limited use, mainly for marketing asian related services to the english speaking world (e.g.: travel, country information, hotels, events). To the billions of people living in asian countries I think this extension will mean very little.

If you're going to reg, I'd stick with strong one and two word terms, first names, higher quality commercial terms, etc. to have the best chance at any return. Already I see some .asia domains posted that really look like a waste of money, but just my opinion.

Best chance is to develop your .asia's and hope search engines give some weighting to the extension in asian related searches.

Ebiz4india

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WHY .ASIA ??
Published by "natasha.a" On February 19th, 2008

I’m certain all the recent hype surrounding .ASIA has hit you too. The question that first popped in my head, and probably yours too is - Is there actually as much potential in this new sponsored TLD? I’ll let the stats that I dug up do all the talking.

The Asian continent has an estimate of over half a billion Internet users, compared to 350 million in Europe and only 240 million in all of North America. Internet traffic from Asia has also outpaced all other markets. The stats suggest that, more visitors originate from Asia (38%) than from Europe (26%) or North America (18%). *

With over 60% of the world’s population and an Internet usage growth of over 350%, Asia is a region that is experiencing tremendous economic and technical growth. The .ASIA top-level domain provides value that complements local country-code domains and other generic domains. Drawing up an excellent analogy from the media industry, some of the most powerful global media channels, like CNN and BBC to name a few, have created regional channels focused exclusively towards catering only to the Asian audience. Each has its space and value. “.ASIA” endeavors to serve this niche regional audience and market. Niche market would however be an understatement considering the statistics mentioned above. Now calculate the colossal number of global and regional enterprises targeting the Asian market, it is clear that the .ASIA value will grow at an exponential pace.

The goal behind introducing .ASIA was to provide an alternative to the ‘.com’ extension for the millions of individuals and businesses in Asia. More than 130 economies and countries around the world participated in the .Asia Sunrise. Seeing the results of the .ASIA Sunrise phase, which concluded with a success rate of over 90% (which is 40% higher than previous Domain Registry launches), I could say they have more than achieved their intended goal. Also, based on registry information, the volume of registrations received during the Sunrise applications was more than double the level for all other gTLD Sunrises except for .INFO.

Now that the Landrush is about to begin (20th Feb), all our Reseller’s can start accepting applications for the available .Asia Domain Names. During the Landrush, anyone around the world can apply for any available .ASIA Domain. The Domains receiving more than one application during the Landrush will be auctioned between the applicants in an equitable process post the Landrush. Popular “keyword” domains, such as names consisting of common terms are expected to generate the most intense bidding.

Targeting an entire region like Asia often tends to be not only difficult, but also expensive due to stringent local presence requirements. So, A unified Asian TLD could potentially be an extremely valuable and cost effective tool for businesses that are looking at reaching the entire region via a single domain registration instead of registering domains in each individual Asian country.

*Source for Internet stats from internetworldstats.com (11th Feb. ‘08).
*Source on .ASIA domain registry stats from dotasia.org.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes in the hands of Pump and dump guys..
-- who bought a lot now and they just need some fools so they can unload.

ah....... um... that is why all of us are here. But there are some good ones that someone would like to buy from us. And there are some of us that would like to develop them ourselves. You too are doing the same, no?

I think .asia has really limited use, mainly for marketing asian related services to the english speaking world (e.g.: travel, country information, hotels, events). To the billions of people living in asian countries I think this extension will mean very little.

If you're going to reg, I'd stick with strong one and two word terms, first names, higher quality commercial terms, etc. to have the best chance at any return. Already I see some .asia domains posted that really look like a waste of money, but just my opinion.

Best chance is to develop your .asia's and hope search engines give some weighting to the extension in asian related searches.

I agree with hugegrowth.
Asia mostly had no western impact if not little. during the early times, new things that came to asia; a new word was made so that no western influences would change their culture. Still happens a little.
But nowadays, with internet, radio, travel, television, etc, there is no filtering of new things coming into asia and it goes directly to the society.
There is no time for town-meetings and negotiating a new name for so many thing coming into asia. it just comes in. when the consumer gets it, there is an English name on it. They will pronounce it as best as they can. Example, we call "Coke" well... "Coke". In Japan, they call it "koku" or "kola" (cola).
They can read English as long as it is basic.

Education (Japan and Korea), have manditory language classes. Without a high score on language, they cannot enter university. And if you dont have a university degree, then you are mostly destined NOT to find a job.

To find the total amount of population (registeration), finding their scores, analyzing which foreign word the still remember is basically impossible. To play it safe, they use the basic words.

so i can agree with hugegrowth. stick to the easy, basic, prime words (2 letters being ok, 3 words risking it, and 4 words? forget about it), and is related to something they would know. Surely the would not know what TulsaOK is or "YoMan" is.

Another idea is to visit asia and see from their eyes. if you have never been to asia, then i would highly recommend not regging any names unless you plan to sell it to your cat.

I know how they think, what type of English grammer they know. This is my secret. And this is how im able to reg some good ones. From some names i have seen, i think to myself, "why would anyone from asia access it?"

BUT yet again, there could be a lot of people not from asia that would like to access some information in asia, therefore accessing some site with .asia at the end.

in all, we dont know yet. just do your best, think out of the box, and pick wisely :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom