Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.Asia has Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmac

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice post MobileD - I give it weight as your a yank living in asia. I still think good generics will sell ok. PS you want to buy yank.asia LOL.

I have taken a chance in regging a few .asia domians that are connected with large socialnetworking sites, i say chance but hey its $10 a reg :)

Domain Summit 2024

Pandemic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare .asia with any other domain extensions. .Asia is a generiic extension, and .eu is not. The current list of generic extensions are: .Asia, .com, net, .org, .us, .info .mobi and .biz. All of the other extensions are country-specific. This is the first new generic extension in many many years.

This is great news for Asia because they have not been able to efficiently enter the internet because there are no more generic extensions available. Since ICANN only accepts domain names in English letters, all of the old Asian website names didn’t make any sense, nor could you ever remember the name. Essentially Asia has been shut out from the internet because ICANN has been slow to move.

For example; if you do a search on google in the Chinese language for "Buy Cars", which the search phrase would be " 买车 " , it brings up many listings on Google, but if you notice the actual website names, a lot of them don't make any sense. Note the following website names on the Chinese search for "buy cars": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=买车&btnG=Google+Search

Since they have no English domain names to choose from, this means nobody can ever remember how to find their Asian sites again. It's not the Asian governments that have keep Asia from the Web, it has actually been ICANN.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare .asia with any other domain extensions. .Asia is a generiic extension, and .eu is not. The current list of generic extensions are: .Asia, .com, net, .org, .us, .info .mobi and .biz. All of the other extensions are country-specific.
.eu is a country?

This is the first new generic extension in many many years.
Are we using the same internet?

This is great news for Asia because they have not been able to efficiently enter the internet because there are no more generic extensions available. Since ICANN only accepts domain names in English letters, all of the old Asian website names didn’t make any sense, nor could you ever remember the name. Essentially Asia has been shut out from the internet because ICANN has been slow to move.
I can only hope that no one from China, Japan, Korea, or India is reading this.

Asia has been shut out from the internet.

Pandemic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.eu is a country?

Are we using the same internet?

I can only hope that no one from China, Japan, Korea, or India is reading this.

Asia has been shut out from the internet.

Apparently you're not able to comprehend the overall concept. I also never said that .eu was a "country". You can't comprehend, nor read.

You may want to do more research on the "classification" of extensions. You've got A LOT of learning to do.

Again, you just may not have the aptitude to fully understand the big picture, so no worries friend...

Last edited:

Pandemic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't change my original post. I should have said "most" all other extensions are country specific, BUT, none of the others are Generic extentions.

Like it or not, there are only a handful of generic extensions, and .eu is not one of them:

Here is a list of "Generic" extensions. See the right side of the home page:
http://www.asiaregistry.com/

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
an interesting thread this will be. we are in uncharted territory with .asia domains. but i have seen a lot of domains being registered. i typed in Japanese and english. a lot were taken. I get the feeling that this extension has done much more than .mobi. A lot of asian companies prefer working with other asian companies as the culture is closer to each other than the wester world. having a .asia works better as it recognizes the asian community rather than with .eu, .biz, .tv, etc. They missed out on .com as new asian companies were formed after the .com boom. where else can they go? yea, they can stick to their cctld, but they want to expand.

lets say it like this. .com never existed. there was only .eu, .in, .us. suddenly there was a new extension for the western world. .com. would you simply stick to .eu, .in, .us? certainly no. you would go with .com as you and your company want to expand outside of your country. Interstingly, there is no extension for the Americas. but if there were to be a new extension for the Americas (.a, .america, .amr, whatever) surely you would buy something.

I think that we are in extremely new territory with .asia. now its quite silent. but i have been doing searches in japanese and a lot have been taken. too bad its in the English language, but basic and simple English (prime), they are mostly taken.

i recall someone mentioning that it may take a few years for .asia to kick off. i think so too. But what is scary is that a lot of prime and simple english keyword .asia names are already gone. do a check for yourself. Also keep in mind that Asians are very well organized, prepared, and think VERY carefully in making moves instead of acting on impulses. so if you have a .asia called "YesLoan.asia" or "BankCheck", you just wasted a nice 6-pack of beer. The thinking is different.

Im simply helping this community to be careful when buying names with asian extensions. if you have never been to an asian country nor know nothing about asia, dont buy any .asia domains unless they are very prime.

Also, i am not sure about other asian countries about reselling except for Japan. Japan sees reselling and selling domains as an illegal activity - socially. Large companies really dont care, but sometimes they are really really stubborn. if you own sony.asia, they may not even pay you $1, but they would rather pay $5,000 to WIPO. In otherwords, this is like convencing your grandmother that weed is good and you should smoke this with your family on Christmas. Hard to convince them, right? well, it is similar to this. But if you know and have a good business strategy in the asian way, then you are ok.

damn this is so hard to explain. can someone from India, China, Korea or anyone from asia explain this?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently you're not able to comprehend the overall concept. I also never said that .eu was a "country". You can't comprehend, nor read.

You may want to do more research on the "classification" of extensions. You've got A LOT of learning to do.

Again, you just may not have the aptitude to fully understand the big picture, so no worries friend...
you know, apparently there needs to be an education requirements along with age requirements for joining forums.

You said .asia was generic and .eu is not.

You said there has not been a generic tld in many many years.

You said asia has been locked out of the internet.

I read every damn word and comprehended every word of the bullshit you wrote in one thread as a full blown "out of touch" testimony.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. Bunch of members invest (waste money) in .asia and it's now the greatest thing since .mobee.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare .asia with any other domain extensions. .Asia is a generiic extension, and .eu is not. The current list of generic extensions are: .Asia, .com, net, .org, .us, .info .mobi and .biz. All of the other extensions are country-specific. This is the first new generic extension in many many years.

For example; if you do a search on google in the Chinese language for "Buy Cars", which the search phrase would be " 买车 " , it brings up many listings on Google, but if you notice the actual website names, a lot of them don't make any sense. Note the following website names on the Chinese search for "buy cars": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=买车&btnG=Google+Search

Since they have no English domain names to choose from, this means nobody can ever remember how to find their Asian sites again. It's not the Asian governments that have keep Asia from the Web, it has actually been ICANN.

This is what you said.

I honestly comprehend the ignorance of every word.

Last edited:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:popcorn: there has been some real crap.asia regged and we're only a few days in :eek:

i won't be touching this with a bargepole :eek:

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes in the hands of Pump and dump guys..
-- who bought a lot now and they just need some fools so they can unload.

Yep .. give it a few months so they can get the publicity machine fully reved up .. then watch as a 'nice' name or two is offloaded for a couple hundred K .. then watch as the lemmings jump off the cliff .. one after the other .. flowers.mobi anyone?

The LLLLL crew must be nearing full rev capacity by now?
THE NEXT BIG THING! GET IN WHILE YOU CAN! DON'T BE A FOOL, YOU KNOW LLLLL MAKES SENSE!

Warrior

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been to a lot of Asian countries and one thing I noticed is they use their own country code TLD, and very heavily I might add. Can someone please explain to me what incentive internet users or businesses have to use a continent TLD over their own?

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in my previous post, I had mentioned that asian companies usually prefer doing business in asia than the western since their cultures are almost similar and labor is cheap. A lof of Japanese companies set up companies in asian countries trying to expand their companies worldwide. For a Japanese company having just one company in Thailand - it is considered an international company. IMO.

I work for a mobile development company developing mobile websites with media. I have been trying to pursuade my company to expand to America or UK. They said that it was a good idea, but travel expenses and strict business laws keeps them from expanding in the west. We currently do business in Thailand, HK, Korea, Taiwan and soon Singapore. So instead of getting ALL the countries extensions, we got just .asia. and goodness, there are a lot of asian countries compared to Europe.

I think it would take a few years for this extension to set in, but i really do think there is great potential in this name.

If you have a good name, you could end up getting a lot more money from asia than the west as the habit of funds is to hoard it all and spend on items to help expose their companies and themselves.

Since you have some experience in asia, i recommend that you get some you think would do well. I am trying to convince the others (who have no idea about asia) to not buy any names unless they are prime/dictionary.

Still waiting for others from asia to participate in this thread...... :uhoh:

Pandemic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you know, apparently there needs to be an education requirements along with age requirements for joining forums.

You said .asia was generic and .eu is not.

You said there has not been a generic tld in many many years.

You said asia has been locked out of the internet.

I read every damn word and comprehended every word of the bullshit you wrote in one thread as a full blown "out of touch" testimony.

It's amazing how bitter some people are around here. Doc is upset because he was not able to acquire any names. So of course all .Asia's to him are now worthless for "everybody!". What a POS .....

QUOTE]

I actually do in fact own a forum. It's called Avian Flu Talk.com, and I am very aware of your types, believe me.

Having said that, being that we track the avian flu in all countries and continents, it's important to know the difference between the two. We track many events in Asia, which is what led me to buying ".Asia" domains. My site also translates all text into Korea, Japanese and Chinese, and we are very familiar with any changes going on in Asia.

TheInvestor: My apologies to you for any sarcastic remarks during this exchange with Doc. People like Doc (A-holes by nature) always rub me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom